Fan Problems

Soldato
Hi I wondered if I could get some advice before I make a fool of myself for not knowing what I'm on about.

I bought a Corsa E 15 plate petrol 1.4 N/A, and it overheated whilst stuck in a traffic jam. The AA came out messed about and came to the conclusion the fan didn't work, it ran really slow and wobbly and just blew the fuse every time he changed it. I got recovered to the garage I bought it off, put the keys with a report through the door and left it there.

I contacted the garage who agreed to replace the fan and fuse. All this got done and the next day I picked it up drove it home, the fan was working so all good.

The next day I got in, started the car and immediately the fan came on full bore, I didn't notice this when I picked it as it wasn't something I was looking for but I can assume it was happening then. this then stays at this speed constantly regardless of A/C being switched on or off or in fact anything else, until you stop the car and switch the engine off.

My guess is that this isn't right. My understanding was that the fan wouldn't actually kick in until the temperature went over its normal operating temperature by a few degrees or you put the A/C on. Also the AA chap said there was a high and low speed relay, this however is just running at full bore from the get go.

So am I right to give them back to sort and what sort of things should they be looking at. Also should they have checked this before giving it me back rather than just checking the fan runs.

I have to point out I have had an ongoing saga with these people for a while involving another car they couldn't seem to fix, I actually ended up giving it them back and swapping it for the one I have now and they are a bit rubbish at actually fixing things under warranty. I also can't help thinking they have only done what it said on the AA report, perhaps being a bit pedantic.

Associate
No, your fan should not run at full speed as soon as you start the engine. It's not surprising they are doing the bare minimum, but if this were my second car i'd bought from them i'd be investigating the possibility of my money back to try a different car seller!

Soldato
I suspect that they've bypassed the relay and wired it directly to the fuse, hence it going full bore as soon as you start the car. I'd suggest getting someone independent take a look at it then go back to them with a diagnosis for them to fix it properly - it sounds like they're liable to taking shortcuts.

Soldato
Generally the fan is controlled by a temperature controlled switch attached to the radiator (It'll look like a coolant temperature sensor screwed into the radiator). The circuit is generally set up so that the fan will come on when the switch goes open circuit (It's better from a failsafe perspective for it work this way), as such if you unplug the switch the fan will come on - manually disconnecting the switch in this way is a common diagnostic technique when troubleshooting issues with the fan not working (I also do it on my track car fairly often when I want to leave the fan running whilst the car is parked in the paddock). It's entirely possible that either the AA man or the garage who repaired the car have inadvertently left the switch disconnected. Have a look around the radiator to see if you can find the switch/wire and confirm whether or not it's connected.

Soldato
OP
Hi thank you for the replies, even the cheerleaders bum. It's booked back in so hopefully they will sort it this time. At least I know what I'm looking for this time.

Back
Top Bottom