*** Resident Evil 2 Remake ***

Associate
Is it just me but anyone else prefer the original game on the Playstation?
I am actually tempted to get a console and some of the games I played all those years ago.

You can play the first trilogy on the PC.

Cut from the game, also
removed crows and yellow herbs

Yellow herbs wasn't in the original RE2 either, they only appeared in RE4.

Associate
Is it just me but anyone else prefer the original game on the Playstation?
I am actually tempted to get a console and some of the games I played all those years ago.

You aren't alone mate trust me. I've played around 1.5hrs up to now and tbh it's just not giving me the same feeling as the originals did. To me the atmosphere and mood feels a bit flat, it's missing that creepy ambient soundtrack that sends chills down your spine. I'm also a fan of the fixed camera and pre rendered backgrounds but anyway I'll crack on and maybe my opinion will change hmmmm.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
You aren't alone mate trust me. I've played around 1.5hrs up to now and tbh it's just not giving me the same feeling as the originals did. To me the atmosphere and mood feels a bit flat, it's missing that creepy ambient soundtrack that sends chills down your spine. I'm also a fan of the fixed camera and pre rendered backgrounds but anyway I'll crack on and maybe my opinion will change hmmmm.
Carry on. My opinion started of similar, but it improved a lot for me. Though I still think the game would be better with pre-rendered backgrounds, fixed camera angles and a better soundtrack, it is still a lot of fun.

I take my hat of to CAPCOM from striking a balance between new and old and pleasing everyone. Just look at all the user reviews on steam :)

Caporegime

With the deluxe edition, you can switch to the original soundtrack.

I think it's pretty much the perfect remake. Though if you hark after the original, then the 'Sourcenext' version with the REbirth patch is great and I recently played through that.

Soldato
I agree the sound accompaniment is not particular great with the remake, I much prefer the original which had me jumping out of my seat on occasion.

If this was going to be a remake then I feel melee should have been added as it is ridiculous that there is no defence against a zombie who has grabbed you even if they are on the floor and the amount of headshots is still silly.

will certainly finish it but will not be on y all time great lists

Associate
I finished my Leon A run through last night:

Pretty damn good, had a few good jump scares, especially when Mr X came bursting through the wall at one point. The tension definitely ramped up once he was introduced. It felt like it wrapped up quite quickly in the third act, but I suppose I'm technically only half way through a full run at this point if you count the B scenario.

I did well conserving ammo through the sewers so was well set before entering the lab. I then realized I'd still not unlocked the door to the magnum, but had all the upgrade parts for it. When I finally figured out what I was supposed to do I was packing around 40 rounds for it. It made the final bosses pretty easy!

Caporegime
If this was going to be a remake then I feel melee should have been added as it is ridiculous that there is no defence against a zombie who has grabbed you even if they are on the floor and the amount of headshots is still silly.

There is a defense, if you have a knife, flash or standard grenade and hit left-bumper (or whatever the keyboard key is) at the right time, you don't get injured.

And you can attack the zombies with the knife, though it does wear-down and eventually break unless you've shot all the Racoon things, in which case you unlock and unbreakable knife.

Associate
With the deluxe edition, you can switch to the original soundtrack.

I think it's pretty much the perfect remake. Though if you hark after the original, then the 'Sourcenext' version with the REbirth patch is great and I recently played through that.

Really?

I don't know how this is even classed as remake it's a re imagination based on the Resident Evil series in the later games.

Not a fan of this I have played through Leon A and Claire B and for me it was an effort got so bored on the first run.

Associate
Completed my first Claire A run, 7 and a half hours on nightmare and loved every bit of it!

Just about to start Leon B, Only things i wish they changed were

I wish every boss wasn't "oh the giant eye...shoot it" and the puzzles were a little more difficult. In the 7 hours i managed every locker and safe with ease. One thing i liked more on Silent Hill compared to Resident Evil was the difficulty in puzzles. But overall runs like a dream, looks great and i feel they did a great job!

Associate
I did Leon first then went on to Claire b on normal. Leon was not what I would call easy but Claire is a nightmare, restarted a couple of times, tried not killing the zombies as other have suggested but the just get in the way all the time, even if they are crawling. Suffering from a lack of patience especially as Mr X is now on the chase, getting tripped up by the dead and he beats the XXXX out of me. Clare's starting pistol's are way inferior to Leon's too. Probably done with this.

Soldato
Completed my first Claire A run, 7 and a half hours on nightmare and loved every bit of it!

Just about to start Leon B, Only things i wish they changed were

I wish every boss wasn't "oh the giant eye...shoot it" and the puzzles were a little more difficult. In the 7 hours i managed every locker and safe with ease. One thing i liked more on Silent Hill compared to Resident Evil was the difficulty in puzzles. But overall runs like a dream, looks great and i feel they did a great job!
I only puzzle that felt slightly resident evil ish was the chess peices one the rest seemed dumbed down to high heaven and even has everything spelled out for them, not cool in my opinion as the harder they are the more amazing you feel for not googling it lol

Soldato
I did Leon first then went on to Claire b on normal. Leon was not what I would call easy but Claire is a nightmare, restarted a couple of times, tried not killing the zombies as other have suggested but the just get in the way all the time, even if they are crawling. Suffering from a lack of patience especially as Mr X is now on the chase, getting tripped up by the dead and he beats the XXXX out of me. Clare's starting pistol's are way inferior to Leon's too. Probably done with this.

I almost had had to load a very old previous save on a Claire B run. Down in the sewers, 1 x flame round and 3 shots on the hand gun. No healing items and I was on critical health. Had to A) run through the sewer section where the G Virus things with the eyeballs spawn and grab you. So I had to run past 3 of them without getting hit. Do the puzzle challenge with the chess pieces without taking any damage from the zombie in the room. Then run back through that sewer section without taking any damage lol.

Associate
I only puzzle that felt slightly resident evil ish was the chess peices one the rest seemed dumbed down to high heaven and even has everything spelled out for them, not cool in my opinion as the harder they are the more amazing you feel for not googling it lol

Exactly! Such a shame. I wish they did what Silent Hill did and have 2 difficulties, 1 for enemies and 1 for puzzle difficulty.

Soldato
Exactly! Such a shame. I wish they did what Silent Hill did and have 2 difficulties, 1 for enemies and 1 for puzzle difficulty.

Yea they should not have given you the answer to the statues for example. In fact even better would be to randomise the answers every play through, to stop cheat sheets and make things more interesting for speed runners :)

Back
Top Bottom