Where's the QHD 144hz Smart Money at?

Permabanned
I bought an Acer Predator XB272 240hz just a year ago.

Although I can't really find fault when I'm playing the likes of Overwatch I'm veering more towards SP games again so thought I'd like to get myself a 1440p monitor.
Wouldn't like to go above £400 TBH.
Build quality/stand etc aren't as important to me as essentials such as low blur. I'm guessing a TN will be the path to go.
Planning on upping from my GTX1070 (non Ti) to a n RTX 2080(non Ti) to drive it.
Any recs?

BTW my son is gaining himself a nice new 240hz monitor. The lucky little bleeder.

Soldato
Dell have released a new 27" TN based gaming monitor the Dell S2719DGF and if it performs anything like my Dell S2716DG it should be pretty sweet for gaming monitor.

It lacks G-SYNC but has Freesync support which nvidia are now supporting finally with there latest drivers. price is around £380.

Soldato
Acer have two interesting looking IPS panels both 2560x1440, 144 hz both with freesync

VG27oup £369.99

XV272UP £459.99

Acer seems to have gone with some form of limited release, available in a couple of places and seems to be no reviews yet.

My money is sitting waiting for some reviews as they are both well priced, XV272UP has almost identical specs to the Aorus AD27QD which is selling for around £540 (acer stand is not as adjustable).

I think both use new panels, worth wait for reviews in regard to response times to see if they are as good as more mature I.P.S panels.

Last edited:
Associate
Dell S2719DGF seems the best for the price (under £400).

I would avoid VA panels due to the smearing/ghosting on blacks (I just RMA'd one) and with IPS you have to play the lottery to get a decent panel.

I will be getting the Dell S2719DGF in a week or so after I got the refund.

Associate
I’m seriously considering a stop-gap monitor. I’m just about to switch back to PC gaming (2600x/GTX1070) so I ideally want a 27”, 1440p panel. And 144hz seems a no brainer in 2019. But I don’t play fast-paced FPSs, I’m more into RTS and city building. So I value quality and colours over response. Hence, I’m looking at the £200 AOC 32” IPS panel (5ms response, 75hz, freesync 48hz-75hz) to tide me over until there are more 27”, 144hz, 1440p VA and IPS optioms sub-£400. I’m using a 32” TV atm too so I won’t lose screen size (and will gain real estate at 1440p vs 1080p).

Associate
Samsung C27HG70 looks good to me: great contrast ratio and colours, half decent HDR, 144Hz, Freesync 2 HDR and a price tag below £500. The only problem is response times will not be that great due to the VA panel but it does have a backlight strobing mode to improve response times if you are not using Freesync/Gsync compatible.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-235-sa.html

I have been looking at this monitor for a while. Have seen some reports about QC issues but cannot find the page again. think it might be worth a shot though.

Soldato
I have been looking at this monitor for a while. Have seen some reports about QC issues but cannot find the page again. think it might be worth a shot though.
If you look at overclock.net all the monitors seem to have QC issues or maybe they're just perfectionists, so you can't win whatever you choose but this monitor to me looks like the best in its price class.

Permabanned
OP
Actually, scratch the above...

Acer have two interesting looking IPS panels both 2560x1440, 144 hz both with freesync

VG27oup £369.99

XV272UP £459.99

Acer seems to have gone with some form of limited release, available in a couple of places and seems to be no reviews yet.

My money is sitting waiting for some reviews as they are both well priced, XV272UP has almost identical specs to the Aorus AD27QD which is selling for around £540 (acer stand is not as adjustable).

I think both use new panels, worth wait for reviews in regard to response times to see if they are as good as more mature I.P.S panels.

The XV272UP has really piqued my interest.

Soldato
Well, that's not so good.

I would say the very early signs are mixed and somewhat confusing. Main bone of contention in the thread is with super sharpness turned on, I checked and this is a feature on older monitors that adds a "slight amount of edge enhancement", that description seems at odds with reports that with it turned off the monitor is super blurry.

In past monitors it seems to be an optional feature which gives a slight benefit in game but created an issue with text in normal usage (you got white outlines around black text).

The only issue is having to wait for reviews.

It appears to be using the same panel as the Aorus AD27QD, which gives a rough idea of performance (good review by hardware unboxed in the Aorus AD27QD thread). The major downside with the Aorus was price and response times.

Hardware unboxed thought the response issues was down to Gigabytes inexperience with monitors, it had not balanced the overdrive settings as well as it could.

Acer has got the price right the issues the Aorus has appear resolvable.

Time and reviews will tell.

I've got the money for a new monitor burning a hole in my wallet but slight wait here seems worth it.

Dell are charging top dollar for their T.N. The Aorus AD27QD at £550 is also top dollar. Competition at lower prices appears to be just around the corner.

Personally I am going to wait a month for reviews of the Acer. I suspect I will have to make the same compromise somewhere, not get the perfect panel but it seems their is a reasonable expectation of saving some cash in a relatively short time frame.

More choice at potentially better prices.

Best case Acer has a better solution in regard to response times at a much better price.

For me the Dell and the Aorus are the two contenders at the moment I think both could be lower in price, if they were £50 to £70 less I would jump on one now. As they are not a slight wait seems worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am leaning towards picking up a Samsung C27HG70, well reviewed and rtings.com has tested it it with NVIDIA, it has no issues.

V.A panel with decent response times and can be found at a comparative price to the acer.

Curved, not so sure about that, but I think I can live with it or return if the curve proves to much.

Associate
I am leaning towards picking up a Samsung C27HG70, well reviewed and rtings.com has tested it it with NVIDIA, it has no issues.

V.A panel with decent response times and can be found at a comparative price to the acer.

Curved, not so sure about that, but I think I can live with it or return if the curve proves to much.
It does have issues especially with ghosting while Freesync is enabled.

I have one and it's pretty bad during dark scenes if you're not near 100 fps.

Back
Top Bottom