Help with Dual Sim phones (how they work, and finding the right device)

Soldato
A colleague at work has a UK and German number, but is tired of carrying around 2 phones.

They want to be able to use both sims in a single device, and have the ability to receive calls on either phone simultaneously (but not take both calls). I.e., if they're on Sim 1, they don't want to miss a call on Sim 2 just because they haven't selected it as the active SIM.

I'm not familiar with how dual SIM phones work - is this how they function by default? Do any of you use a single phone for work and personal?

Also, could you recommend a dual sim device based on the above info? I was thinking OnePlus 6 or 6T

Thanks in advance :)

Caporegime
From my brief use, yes.

Samsung (S9) also allow dual app instal for this very reason (whatsapp etc). Not sure on other brands.

Associate
It depends on the device

If you want it so you can receive calls while in a call on the other sim you need to go for more high end ones so say Pocophone compared to A2 Lite (A2 Lite doesn't support this it will just say you unavailable)

The other thing is the signal bands the cheaper ones do not share them so each sim has to connect on separate frequency can be an issue if signal is not great or sim providers use same bands.

I use dual sim for work/personal have done for 20 years.

It's up to you which phone you go for I would recommend Pocophone can be had for under £300.

Soldato
OP
It depends on the device

If you want it so you can receive calls while in a call on the other sim you need to go for more high end ones so say Pocophone compared to A2 Lite (A2 Lite doesn't support this it will just say you unavailable)

The other thing is the signal bands the cheaper ones do not share them so each sim has to connect on separate frequency can be an issue if signal is not great or sim providers use same bands.

I use dual sim for work/personal have done for 20 years.

It's up to you which phone you go for I would recommend Pocophone can be had for under £300.

She's not keen on skinned android, says she wants something as use to her old Nexus 5 as possible, hence the idea of OnePlus 6 (not the 6T due to lack of headphone jack and UD FPS)

Associate
She's not keen on skinned android, says she wants something as use to her old Nexus 5 as possible, hence the idea of OnePlus 6 (not the 6T due to lack of headphone jack and UD FPS)

Flash a different rom plenty to choose from and not difficult to do

Bit silly to pay £200 more due to that one reason

Soldato
OP
Flash a different rom plenty to choose from and not difficult to do

Bit silly to pay £200 more due to that one reason

Not really - this is for your average Joe, who wants OTA software updates for a skin free android that works, without bugs and quirks, with good build quality, premium fit and finish, waterproofing, and an OLED display.

Pocophone doesn't meet any of those requirements

Associate
Not really - this is for your average Joe, who wants OTA software updates for a skin free android that works, without bugs and quirks, with good build quality, premium fit and finish, waterproofing, and an OLED display.

Pocophone doesn't meet any of those requirements

Ok that doesn't sound like average Joe at all and shows you are either just trying to cause arguments or don't know anything about the Pocophone at all.

Soldato
I have 2 sims running in my oneplus 6t. Real easy to operate and can switch between sims fairly seamlessly.

Set which sim you want to use as default for calls, texts and data and then allows the option to switch to the alt sim say for a text with a quick tap in the send options.

Back
Top Bottom