Great Purge Regrets

Associate
I still hold out hope that my little Packard Bell 386SX is stashed away in my parents attic.

Big box titles, I am slowly repurchasing. When my parents moved house in the late nineties, they asked me if I wanted to keep - I said no. They all got binned. :(

CH Flightstick, Microsoft Sidewinder Pads, Mesh Athlon and Sony G400. Logitech surround speakers with a massive sub - the wires were a nightmare as I never bothered to set it up properly; I lost interest leaving it at my parents - All got tipped.

I used to store all the game manuals separately. I live in hope that my Ace of the Pacific, Ultima games might still be stashed. I used to hoard all the trinkets, flyers, etc Neither me or my parents can remember their fate but to date never found!

So what do you regret chucking and wish you had kept, or since repurchased? :)

Soldato
I regret selling my original megadrive and games. For a ~12 year old in a poor household I had a good collection going on. Think I sold the whole lot for ~£15 at a car bootsale so I could buy pokemon cards :(

Now I have around 8 megadrives and over 100 games :)

Associate
So what do you regret chucking and wish you had kept, or since repurchased? :)
TI-58 calculator. My first programmable anything bought when I left home to go to Sheffield to do my degree. Annoying thing is I have the manuals but can't find the darn calculator.

Soldato
I wish I didn't trade in games as a child and just kept them but it was the only way to try other titles outside of birthdays etc.

I have a fairly small collection at the moment. We have a 2nd child on the way which means my room with the CRT and machines set up has to go to make room for a nursery. I want to box it all up and keep it, but storage space sucks :D

Will ditch the CRT as it was a bargain at a charity shop, will give it away to someone in to retro gaming if needs be.

I think I would regret selling the systems and games, especially my gamecube set I have going

Soldato
I sold my Megadrive and SNES collection at boot fairs to make money to buy a N64.
Don't get me wrong, the N64 was a great console, I had to get one after playing Mario 64 round my mates, but I do regret my decision. My games library was massive.

After that it would be dumping my Amiga 1200.
Was moving house and needed to make room, so I just dumped my Amiga 1200 and all it's games, still had a lot of the game boxes as well.

Man of Honour
First gen 3dfx card went to the tip a few years back along with a voodoo 2.

I never got rid of mine. Actually found my stash of 3dfx stuff this week after rebuilding one end of my office/playroom with a new desk, storage and wall mount tv and so on. Original Voodoo, pair of matched 12mb Righteous 3d II's, Voodoo 4500, Voodoo 5500 (in PCI and AGP) and a non functional Voodoo 6000 (I tried it, wasn't even recognised by the system. Very dead, but very cool.)

May end up putting the Voodoo 5500 PCI back into a system and frame the others.

For me, working at one company several years ago I had to go through all their old systems in storage and either sell them onto staff or destroy them. The number of late P2 and early PIII Slot1 systems I trashed was scary.

I did keep some of the older Pentium Pro systems though. Sold them on over a couple of years. Kept a single CPU for myself as they're just cool.

Soldato
I regret selling my Megadrive to CEX around 1995 so that I could fund a Saturn purchase. Not that the Saturn was a bad system, I was very happy with it, I just wish I got to keep the Megadrive as I'm a 16-bit player at heart.

Also regret later selling the Saturn and my N64 for a song, around £50 with loads of games. I was working on minimum wage and must have been desperate. Multiple years of Christmas and birthday presents sold to fix my car or something silly like that.

Soldato
I actually bought an N64 again last year as i regretted selling my old one with all my games so much, then about 2 months later my step father came over with a box of stuff from their attic and there was my old N64 and PSone, i must have dreamt selling it and only actually sold off all my games!

So now i have 2 and should probably move one along really.

I mega regret letting my old voodoo 2 go years ago, i was working in a computer shop at the time so just put it back in the stock but i wish i had that now for my retro PC as it'd be ideal.

Soldato
SNES sold at a boot sale for £25 with games. The games I'd owned from new (only about 8 titles) were in nearly pristine boxes, including the giant Super Metroid one that came with a game guide (goes for £150+ now).

I remember being well pleased with £25 for it. it was about 2002

Man of Honour
Top of the list would be the family Acorn Electron and my Amiga 500+ with the A570 CD module, no idea what happened to either :(

Associate
Gave my Amiga 500 and 1200T away for nothing about 20 years ago. I have an A3000 still, but it lay in my parent's attic for the same amount of time - the clock battery has corroded the board, and the PSU has gone rusty. Can't find the big box of disks either, so probably been binned.

Recently (about 10 years ago) got a A1200, worked OK apart from the HDD. Bought Workbench 3.1 on a flash card, booted up OK. Plugged in my old Amiga mouse and machine died. Now totally dead. Gutted.

Soldato
I regret selling my ZX81 and Memotek 16k RAM pack for £25. I was young and needed the money for something. It was in excellent condition with the box, manuals, everything.

I did manage to get another, with the Sinclair RAM pack many years later for £5 off a school kid though, and I still have it, though it's in nowhere near as good condition and has no box or manuals.

I also regret lending my boxes of C64 disks to a friend of a friend when I had got into the Amiga instead, and I never got them back. I'm not sure but I think it included a lot of my C64 art work from back in the 80's (I can't find these disks any more) but I have managed to get most of it back via the internet, so it's not all lost.

Back
Top Bottom