Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
How many times do you run? I’m 43 so having to make sure I fuel prior to any runs as I can’t base my runs on youth anymore

Same as me can't run off youth anymore, when did that happen for you?

I don't run that much, I tried 3 times a week doing around 3-5k per run.

Soldato
Currently training for the Brighton Marathon 2 x short runs in the week (5 miler) and long runs at the weekend 10 last Sunday, 8 the Sunday before, 6 the Sunday before that, trying to keep under 8.45 min per mile to get a sub 4 hours :D

Got a stinker of a cold so not run this week! I'm gutted :(

Isn’t sub 4 hours around 9:10 a mile?

Longest ever run so far for me today at 13.6 miles which has also given me a half marathon PB!

Wasn’t feeling it prior to the run having also taken the dogs out for around a 3 mile walk and doing bits around the house.

The last 4 miles were also quite hilly which meant a bit of walking up them as when I tried running up my legs turned to lead!

Soldato
Isn’t sub 4 hours around 9:10 a mile?

Longest ever run so far for me today at 13.6 miles which has also given me a half marathon PB!

Wasn’t feeling it prior to the run having also taken the dogs out for around a 3 mile walk and doing bits around the house.

The last 4 miles were also quite hilly which meant a bit of walking up them as when I tried running up my legs turned to lead!
Yes but I’m trying to get used to running a 8:45 min mile at all times incase I blow up a few miles out and have to slow my pace down :) did the London marathon in 2014 and got a 4:52 had only started running the year before though

Soldato
Good luck. I’m just looking to get around and finish!

Although the last few runs have been promising. Have averaged just over 10min miles on hilly routes and Manchester is meant to be the flattest marathon in the uk so if I can average under 10 min miles and finish around 4:20 ish I’ll be happy.

Caporegime
Yes but I’m trying to get used to running a 8:45 min mile at all times incase I blow up a few miles out and have to slow my pace down :) did the London marathon in 2014 and got a 4:52 had only started running the year before though

This is a terrible strategy. If you goal is really a sub 4 marathon, then you need to be doing most of your running at a pace around 2 minutes a mile slower than that. I would plan around 80% of your runs being in the 10:30 to 11:15 a mile range, with the remaining 20% made up of higher intensity running. Closer to race day a couople of long runs with 9-9:10 can be used to get used to race pace.

And it sounds like you plan on a big positive split by banking time with a fast start, this is almost guaranteed to end in disaster.

Soldato
This is a terrible strategy. If you goal is really a sub 4 marathon, then you need to be doing most of your running at a pace around 2 minutes a mile slower than that. I would plan around 80% of your runs being in the 10:30 to 11:15 a mile range, with the remaining 20% made up of higher intensity running. Closer to race day a couople of long runs with 9-9:10 can be used to get used to race pace.

And it sounds like you plan on a big positive split by banking time with a fast start, this is almost guaranteed to end in disaster.

I'll let you know how I get on then ;)

Soldato
Still, no running from me since I broke the elbow last week as I'm reluctant to start swinging the arm. I'd mentioned earlier that my first 10km race was on 2nd February but I've scrapped that, £20 down the drain but I'd rather not damage a broken bone that is still trying to heal.

Soldato
Probably a sensible decision. Are there any other races in your area you could sign up to later on?
There probably is. There is the 10km around the Titanic Quarter, nice and flat at the end of March which I'd planned to do anyway. I think that's the next race I'll do but its trying to make a decision when I should get back running normally. Also the fact I'm a guitarist and can't play is crippling me lol

Soldato
Not really sure. Presume your elbow is in a cast or just a sling?

If it's in a cast then i'd have thought you'd be ok, providing you're not in pain/discomfort during the run as long as you take it slow and don't have too much movement. If just a sling then it might be a longer wait, probably best to check with a doctor though. When's your next check up?

Soldato
Not really sure. Presume your elbow is in a cast or just a sling?

If it's in a cast then I'd have thought you'd be ok, providing you're not in pain/discomfort during the run as long as you take it slow and don't have too much movement. If just a sling then it might be a longer wait, probably best to check with a doctor though. When's your next check up?
They gave me a padded collar and cuff support but that's it. Apparently this type of break they don't want you in a sling to allow the bones to move :confused: I've already trying to do without the support as told me last week to get out of it as soon as possible. I'm supposed to have a follow-up phone call today, but it doesn't look likely so the next appointment is Friday :) Hopefully, I'll get a better idea then.

I'm just frustrated and having a moan :D

Back
Top Bottom