eBay question (no I haven't been scammed... Yet!)

Associate
And the responses to my actual question have been inconclusive, with both sides having no evidence to back up their thoughts, not even anecdotal.

Lies. I provided anecdotal evidence, except in favour of going ahead with the transaction :p

Well amusing watching OCUK'ers get in a huff about 'posted asking for advice, then ignored advice!!!111!!!;@@!'. Usually the person asking for advice is researching elsewhere, and there is often a minority who provide alternative viewpoints against what the OCUK majority has decided is righteous, true, just, and wise. Actually it's up to each OP asking these sorts of questions to weigh that up in the balance.

Caporegime
Tbh none of the advice has been backed up with any evidence, even anecdotal. Just people saying "it's ebay its obviously a scam" which isn't helpful.

I asked if there is any way I can actually lose money with these precautions, not what the liklihood is that it is a scam.

And the responses to my actual question have been inconclusive, with both sides having no evidence to back up their thoughts, not even anecdotal.

I can't see someone hacking an account with 2 feedback either. Not exactly a good target.

Its true, I have a problem. The problem is that I'm always right. :(

(Kidding)

With ebay you can 100pc lose money if you are selling to a person determined enough to get it. But it's unlikely to happen.

It is up to you to accept this risk or not

Associate
What you need to remember is in the vast majority of times, ebay/paypal will side with the buyer.

Wheels arrive, he claims 'not as described/damaged' etc you have to refund him and pay return postage. You get back his knackered set that he swapped your good set for (or a set of steelies). Good luck convincing paypal that you were the victim.

Caporegime
OP
Right then, theyre all packed and ready.

I have found a picture of the chap I'm sending them to, in the church <10 miles away from the address he gave. :p

#prostalker

Last edited:
Soldato
Right then, theyre all packed and ready.

I have found a picture of the chap I'm sending them to, in the church <10 miles away from the address he gave. :p

On the left.

#prostalker

Is it really appropriate to post the picture of someone buying an item from you on eBay? Very strange :confused:

Would you like it if you found out someone had done the same to you?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Is it really appropriate to post the picture of someone buying an item from you on eBay? Very strange :confused:

Would you like it if you found out someone had done the same to you?

Its in the public domain... I literally found it by Googling his name and the farm he works on. :p

But I'll remove the link lol. (you'll need to take it out of your quote though)

I also found out his wifes name, his ex business partners name (standing next to him in the picture) and other bits and pieces... Its actually quite scary how easy it was to be honest.

Soldato
Probably be fine, I've found most buyers on eBay to be genuine but get the occasional scam.

Last one claimed that the PayPal payment was unauthorised but I'd sent it with tracking to a seller eligible address so got the money back after a few weeks (annoying how they just take it out straight away).
I've noticed some recently not showing any mention of seller protection so best double check that you are covered.

Take plenty of pics of packaging as well in case of a courier claim.

Soldato
Just make sure you take the funds out of your paypal account, and remove your card from paypal. That way if he does try and scam you and paypal side with the buyer (which is normally the case), they'll only put your account into a negative balance. As it's a fair sum of money, they'll probably threaten court action, but at least you've got more chance of convincing a judge with all your evidence than trying to convince paypal.

Back
Top Bottom