What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Missus was away so watched...

Godzilla Part 3: The Planet Eater - 7/10
I enjoyed this more than 2nd in the series, first was still my fave

Io - 4/10
Went in with low expectations, wasn't disappointed :) Just to slow and not enough Io...

Soldato
A Quiet Place, wow 9/10 maybe even 10/10 one of the best films I’ve watched in so long if you ignore the fact I watched the Shape of Water last week (also amazing, well worth an Oscar). How BP is a best film contender and this is not just baffles me.

Isle of Dogs, no south London gangsters big bonus. Usual Wes Anderson madness the guy is a genius. Not as great as Grand Budapest or Royal Teenenbaums but still very good 8/10.

Soldato
Bohemian Rhapsody over the weekend, not a big queen fan but loved it. I know people are moaning that it skirts over the darker stuff, that's to it's strength for me, celebrate the good in his life rather than focus on the bad. There are enough miserable movies out there already if you want to go down that route. 9/10

Anyone watched the side by side comparison with the actual live aid concert?

Soldato
Had the choice of Mary Queen of Scots, Glass, Stan & Ollie and Upside tonight, opted for a Mary and Lizzie showdown.

Good film, not sure how historically accurate but at least some of the facts between who rules what are correct…this is how i get my England and Scotland history lessons as all these King and Queen so and so is rather confusing to me!

Anyway, good film, Saoirse Ronan is just amazing again, from high school high in Ladybird to a queen she plays it very well. Lots of talking, back stabbing and politics but I would recommend it if you like Saoirse Ronan, this is her movie.

Also saw this at the weekend.
I can echo your opinion completely and i'm also a huge Saoirse Ronan fan since Lovely Bones. One day she'll get herself an Oscar, and she'll deserve it too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good reviews of Mary Queen of Scots above. We also watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great performances all round. It's actually really beautifully shot too and I thought the music was excellent. Well worth a watch.

Soldato
Beautiful boy - solid movie but a bit safe. Steve Carell and Chalamet gave very strong performances 6.5/10

The Nun - oh man this was so dissapointing. I was really loooking forward to this as she terrified me in her apperance in the conjuring. In this film she appeared too much and had a silly voice which ruined the scary effect she had previously. I mean it was an ok film but it could have been so much scarier. 6/10

Caporegime
Bohemian Rhapsody - 9/10

What a great film, another massive Queen fan here, and really loved it, yes it doesn't touch on the other side of things at all but I don't feel it needs to, it was a celebration of him and Queen, and it delivered.

Ralph Breaks The Internet - 8/10.

Oh my God, I loved this so much, so many funny bits and I was in hysterics when he goes on the internet.

Don
Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10
Best film I’ve seen in a long time. Unless I’m missing something about Freddie’s life, it doesn’t really miss out things, just doesn’t show them graphically.

Glad I seen it on the big screen, does the Live Aid bit justice.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Logan Lucky, 7.5/10

We hit "shuffle" on the Plex server last night and this came up. Surprisingly good if not a bit of a US guy ritchie ripoff.

Soldato
Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10
Best film I’ve seen in a long time. Unless I’m missing something about Freddie’s life, it doesn’t really miss out things, just doesn’t show them graphically.

Glad I seen it on the big screen, does the Live Aid bit justice.

My issue with the film is that going into it as a Queen fan, it's more of a Freddie Mercury film than I had hoped. It's not a bad thing per-se, as I believe Freddie was one of the best performers ever (the great pretender) and Queen is nothing without him. Though It doesn't however really show you his rather rambunctious life outside of Queen when he started to come to terms about who he is. Almost as though they were ashamed/afraid to show it, which was odd.

I also think a lot about this film is just driven by Brian and Roger, who IMO make up 25% of Queen and have been stringing something along that died with Freddie, and I have my own issues with that which taint this film for me. "25% you say?". Yes, 50% of Queen IMO was Freddie and the vastly overlooked final 25% is John. Yes, In Queen I see 1 John = 1 Brian + 1 Roger, well, maybe not quite but you catch my drift.. John Deacon is overlooked in the film as he is in reality (though actually portrayed by Mazzello brilliantly I have to say), he is behind many of the greatest songs, deserves way more credit than he gets and actually had the foresight to see Queen doesn't exist without Freddie.

Overall, I give it a 7/10 but begrudgingly.

Soldato
Finally got round to watching 3 Billboards last night.

Not the usual type of film I would watch, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very emotional and some fantastic acting. 8-9/10.

Back
Top Bottom