Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
I ended up getting a Tempur Cloud 22, there was a 0% interest finance offer at the time and after spending a few hours in a shop trying different mattresses, I thought sod it! That was about 5 years ago and I am happy to report the mattress is still going strong. It was a big purchase at the time, but my back has thanked me and I have no regrets - would definately buy another in the future. About 2 years ago I had one accident, a hot water bottle burst which made the foam expand where the water got in leaving a fairly large raised lump. After around a week of pointing a dehumidifier at it, it went back to normal and no problems since - phew!

Soldato
To continue my story.
After a really bad couple of nights sleep, I chased Dreams a few times to see if the report had been returned to them. Monday they said no, yesterday they said yes.

They confirmed that I had the cost of the mattress into a fund to pay for another of my choosing. I went down to the store to try a few - the EVE and a few standard spring types. I decided to for a standard spring this time. The EVE felt great (id say its a firm) but I really didn't want the same problem again. Spoke to an Dreams agent online today to book and I've got delivery booked in for the 5th.

I was expecting a fight at every stage but the whole thing has been seamless.

Associate
Our current mattress is 14 years old, it's a traditional pocket sprung mattress and has been really comfortable, fairly firm. When we bought it was rated 7/10 on the firmness scale I think. It's been spun round and flipped regularly but it's definitely not as comfortable as it once was and we probably should have changed it before now.

The question is where to we start looking! Another sprung mattress, memory foam, hybrid? We both tend to sleep on our back/side.

Memory foam seems to be the thing these days, I know a couple of people who say they are very comfortable but hot compared to sprung.

There seem to be lots of relatively inexpensive (presumably Chinese made) hybrid mattresses from companies like Otty, Simba and Emma that are all over social media, they all seem to get great reviews, but the cynic in me thinks they can't be built to last? I know most of them do a no obligation trial and they seem fairly reasonable money wise.

Our current mattress has done well, from memory it cost about £1000, it may be just as easy to replace with another pocket sprung mattress, how many springs do you need? I've no idea what ours has in it.

Anyone got any feedback or recommendations? Not sure about budget, about same as last time I guess, but I'd go a bit further for something good, sleep is important and all that.

We're going to have a look later today but I'm filled with dread as we can never agree on stuff like this and I'm not great with salespeople if I'm honest!

Associate
Having tried a load of different ones out last month, in the end we bought one from Ikea. You cant beat it for its price and it is certainly equal if not better than most of the ones we tried at £600-1000 range.

Associate
All sorted, nice and easy. Pocket sprung natural Harrison Spinks mattress ordered, incredibly comfortable. Over budget but 30% off in the sale at Fenwicks meant we could go up a notch or two. Makes our current mattress (which I've never had an issue until recently) feel clapped out.

Associate
my advice is go to a store and lay on the things dont just lay on you're back most stores will not have a problem with you doing this

Soldato
Given how much of our lives are spent in bed it makes sense to spend good money on a top end mattress. We got a Herdy Mattress which is firm but makes you feel like you are being supported by magic. Can't recommend more highly. It has a Herdwick sheep's fleece incorporated. I think it may be made by Harrison Spinks.

Associate
I bought a Dunlopillo Celeste from mynextmattress last year and its extremely comfortable, would absolutely recommend them. Also got a couple of Dunlopillo pillows free as well

Last edited:
Caporegime
Having tried a load of different ones out last month, in the end we bought one from Ikea. You cant beat it for its price and it is certainly equal if not better than most of the ones we tried at £600-1000 range.

I did the same thing, I'd previously had an Ikea hybrid one - a spring mattress with a top layer of memory foam, had that for 7 years and then decided to go back to just having a spring mattress, just got one from Ikea, it's perfectly fine.

Associate
We tried loads of them including Eve, Simba, Tempur and a few others up to about £3.5k. The very expensive ones were great, but not justifiable to us you definitely need to spend a lot to get that last 10% of wow.

The one we picked was £1800 less 30% and was very comfortable (firm), to be fair we would have got a cheaper one if it wasn't for the discount.

Soldato
I got us one from JR by design and it's brilliant, I find it so comfortable, unfortunately wife finds it slightly harder than she'd like so she prefers the one from IKEA, which I find a smidge too soft.

Associate
Our Tempur 21 has had it after 6 years... We just sink in too much now - their warranty is total bs by the way.

They only honor it if there is visible sag of at least 4cm! We both had back pain in the last month so following the advise on an American mattress website we flipped the "not supposed to be flipped" mattress and the pain is gone!

Anyway looking at those Simba/nectar/Leesa/etc... They all look the same / claim the same/ cost similar.

Should we just get a mattress topper on the existing Tempur to get a few more months /maybe years out of it or replace with one of those ?!

Soldato
Our Tempur 21 has had it after 6 years... We just sink in too much now - their warranty is total bs by the way.

They only honor it if there is visible sag of at least 4cm! We both had back pain in the last month so following the advise on an American mattress website we flipped the "not supposed to be flipped" mattress and the pain is gone!

yea check out my post above regarding the tests they do. Fortunately mine had compressed enough to go over the 3cm threshold.

The foam mattress have hard foam (and ventilation cutouts) on the 'bottom' and then increasing levels of soft foam until you get to the top. I don't see any reason why that would be a problem but thats why your back is feeling better.

Im my news, I swapped out my foam with a 'firm' pocket spring which was delivered by Dreams on Tuesday. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom