Kitchen remodel from start to finish

Associate
Looking good, I'll bet the end can't come soon enough though. Living without a kitchen is a massive pain!

Yeah i got shouted out by various kitchen places for calling ours an island. Apparently it's a "Peninsula"
Well you learn something everyday, it would seem that we too have a peninsula, I feel slightly sad that I don't own an island anymore.

Soldato
Really looking good now, especially the above cabinet uplighting.

If it's decent power strip, say 14.4w/m then you don't really need the spotlights. The under cabinet lighting, uplighting and some under worktop strips would probably do.

My only design criticism at this point would be hob location. Going by the extractor location it doesn't look like you're going to have worktop to the left of the hob (looking in direction of picture above). It would be handy for putting down heavy/hot trays from the oven and also a space for pots/pans that come off that side of the hob. Hopefully you're putting in a 600 wide hob that's more pushed towards the window.

Really need to sort my build thread out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good

Why is there a second bit of ducting on the back wall?

Also is there a reason for the false/plasterboard corner? I appreciate it fits in your cupboard which is quite cool!

Soldato
OP
That extractor is pretty good looking.

How well will it pull air in as it's quite high above the cooking surface.

The kitchen fitter said that it is the best there is. Will be no problem at all.

Is that a LED strip? Is it running alongside the wall? if so why not under the cabinets out of interest

LED strips are mounted to the cabinets.

If it's decent power strip, say 14.4w/m then you don't really need the spotlights. The under cabinet lighting, uplighting and some under worktop strips would probably do.

Going by the extractor location it doesn't look like you're going to have worktop to the left of the hob (looking in direction of picture above). It would be handy for putting down heavy/hot trays from the oven and also a space for pots/pans that come off that side of the hob. Hopefully you're putting in a 600 wide hob that's more pushed towards the window.

The hob is 600mm wide and centralised. There's going to be around 625mm either side when it's fitted.

The main lights are wired up now. It's extremely bright with them all on but even without the main lights it's quite bright and has a nice ambiance about it.

Looks good

Why is there a second bit of ducting on the back wall?

Also is there a reason for the false/plasterboard corner? I appreciate it fits in your cupboard which is quite cool!

The ducting is from the extractor. It goes through the ceiling then has to come back down before exiting through the wall because it has to clear the lintel.

As for the plasterboard corner, it kinda had to be there. If it wasn't it would just be space that wouldn't be able to be used anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Doors fitted and the larder is all operational and lit up.

Worktops are being fitted on Friday so there's yet another week of no hob :(. I used the microwave oven this morning to warm up my weetabix and it worked nicely. I was a bit apprehensive about buying it instead of having a separate microwave but I'm glad I did.

I wish the dishwasher was plumbed up because having to wash dishes in the bathroom upstairs is beginning to drag.

Doors fitted
by Connor Hundley, on Flickr

Doors fitted

Doors fitted

Last edited:
Soldato
The kitchen fitter said that it is the best there is. Will be no problem at all.

The hob is 600mm wide and centralised. There's going to be around 625mm either side when it's fitted.

The main lights are wired up now. It's extremely bright with them all on but even without the main lights it's quite bright and has a nice ambiance about it.

Awesome, I see the cutlery draw now in the new pictures.

Great job, it's looking very smart. I like the vertical LED strip in the larder unit, I had contemplated it but haven't put one in as it doesn't really need it as visibility is fine in ours as is.

Associate
Looks really nice. Didnt dislike your old one either but this is coming from someone with a kitchen that was installed in the 60's (appliances also). How much do you think it cost in total?

Back
Top Bottom