Time to switch to console gaming :)

Caporegime
Ping is usually around 10-15, sometimes been lower, but you're on your own 1gbps down and 100mbps up.

Yes euro data center is Paris but doesn't seem to cause any issues. Playing in 144hz as well on oled tv. Plan to get a monitor soon though as loving single player games on the tv, fps online would prefer a smaller monitor.

Won't be for everyone, but its allowed me to play the more powerful games i cant on a switch and im happy with it.

DAVGBCOJ
Code that gets us both money off if you decide to try it but any q just hit me up

also £1619 over 5 years is ridiculous.

you can build a gaming pc for less than £1000 and is a top spec these days including all the accessories like monitor, etc.

freesync now works with nvidia cards so pc gaming just got a lot cheaper. also a 1060 6GB will do any game at 1080p. 1440p a 1070ti or 2060 is good enough. 4k pc gaming isn't really called for atm.

Soldato
Yeah isn't for everyone, but it's not just the spec you are paying for. You are getting a 1gbps download speed and 100mbps upload. You can game on any device even mobile phones, so it's the portability of playing anywhere, which if you travel a lot is perfect. As long as you have at least 5mbps connection yourself it works. Plus in 5 years you won't be on the same hardware and will have been upgraded, as i think their cycle refresh is going to be 2/3 years.

Anyway back on topic haha, I highly recommend a Switch if you need the portability =)

Soldato
Still urge you to take a look at https://shadow.tech/gben/ if you want to PC game but not fork out on an expensive machine. I've been running it for over a month now and had no issues. Been playing CS:GO and resident Evil 2 remake on my 4k tv. As long as you got fairly decent internet and some form of device to run it off (can be any cheap thing though), then you basically have a high end machine for £26.99 a month which over 5 years is £1619 (if looking at buying a machine our right you expect at least 5 years) and they will upgrade it well before then anyway.

Playing on a mobile over 4g = data killler.
You'll need wifi to be able to do it.

I think £26.99 is still too much. I'd like to see someone playing on a 1060 vs a shadowbox and the comparing the graphical fidedlity. can't help but feel a budget Pc beats it.

It is VERY interesting though. I was contemplating giving it a go despite having a decent rig.

Caporegime
what do you mean by this?

do they install a broadband connection in your home too?

It's like a virtual computer so you need to download your games into Steam or wherever at their end before you can play them. So you get a virtual connection of 1Gbps from their datacentre to download things to your virtual computer.

Caporegime
It's like a virtual computer so you need to download your games into Steam or wherever at their end before you can play them. So you get a virtual connection of 1Gbps from their datacentre to download things to your virtual computer.

so they are streaming the games to you and therefore graphics will not be comparable to a real pc

Caporegime
so they are streaming the games to you and therefore graphics will not be comparable to a real pc

I haven't tried it myself but I would say you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. They're using H.265 codec instead of H.264 which is a step-up and up to 25Mbps bit-rate. That should certainly cover up to 4K if you can get a stable speed to their end.

Caporegime
I haven't tried it myself but I would say you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. They're using H.265 codec instead of H.264 which is a step-up and up to 25Mbps bit-rate. That should certainly cover up to 4K if you can get a stable speed to their end.

yeah but streaming 4k content and having 4k on blu ray there is a difference most would notice if they have a decent screen and decent eyesight.

pc gaming even more so due to the lag involved and you sitting much closer to the screen.

i have to move my mouse, it then sends that signal all the way to france. then to the games servers / screeen. which is then encoded and then sent all the way back to me.

using remote play on ps4 in my own house and steam link in my own house can be laggy at times. forget doing it 1200 miles away.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure I could tell the difference between playing a game natively vs a video of the same game streamed. Even on my 900 up/down line I think lag would be an issue.

Caporegime
Soldato
Can't make tonight as at Arsenal game, but happy to arrange tomorrow or later in the week / weekend.

Loads of vids on youtube though, or just go on twitch tv and put shadow pc in search, as people will be live with them now. There's a guy playing off a rasperry pi and someone just using nvidia sheild and even someone just using android on their tv directly with the app.

Caporegime
Can't make tonight as at Arsenal game, but happy to arrange tomorrow or later in the week / weekend.

Loads of vids on youtube though, or just go on twitch tv and put shadow pc in search, as people will be live with them now. There's a guy playing off a rasperry pi and someone just using nvidia sheild and even someone just using android on their tv directly with the app.

cool will do.

i have a link to my steam ID in the main CSGO thread in PC section.

i want to see how you play in the same game and see what kind of duels you are winning and losing tbh. if it works as you say it does then it could be the future so long as prices come down also. so you have a warehouse with say 10,000 GPU's and say 50,000 subscribers paying £10 a month to use them.

Caporegime
Steam Stats for France show Blade SAS who operate Shadow as having an average download rate of 465.1 Mbps which means it wouldn't take very long to download your games on Steam. I'm curious to see how well it performs but it's about six months too late as I bought this PC before this really started to gain attention.

Associate
So, how did did the OP's decision pan out? No regrets?

I'm seriously considering going back to consoles myself. The benefits of PC gaming are quickly becoming overshadowed by the absurdity of hardware pricing, not to mention the ever-increasing trend of early access titles, shoddy ports and timed exclusives. Most developers cater to the lowest common denominator anyway, which is the console market. PC exclusives that push the envelope are virtually unheard of now!

Associate
Have to agree with you there Bishie. I've been a PC gamer all my life (48) and have always built my own systems and upgraded accordingly. But the price of hardware nowadays is unbelievable with the 2080ti and g-sync monitors,. This has really put the knife in to me with regards to PC gaming. Even though I have to money to upgrade I just can't justify the cost even though I am a die hard PC gamer. I bought myself a PS4 Pro and 4K TV and loving it so far. Okay, the frame rate is not what I'm used to but I'm coming around to the idea that's it's not just about that.

Soldato
Have to agree with you there Bishie. I've been a PC gamer all my life (48) and have always built my own systems and upgraded accordingly. But the price of hardware nowadays is unbelievable with the 2080ti and g-sync monitors,. This has really put the knife in to me with regards to PC gaming. Even though I have to money to upgrade I just can't justify the cost even though I am a die hard PC gamer. I bought myself a PS4 Pro and 4K TV and loving it so far. Okay, the frame rate is not what I'm used to but I'm coming around to the idea that's it's not just about that.

I moved to console in late 2014 after 20+ years of PC gaming. Built my own rigs for years. Got a 2nd hand PS4.

Some things i miss - mouse and keyboard. I suck using pad. 120hz servers and 120hz monitor / FPS. Tribes Ascend and Quake 3.

I have got used to the console fps - after half an hour on a game i simply dont notice it. Im OK with pad generally but I cant do cod type games very well. Brain cant make my thumbs do as I like. But the abscence of hackers is well worth it. Also fov in a lot of FPS games is too tight for my liking although more games are adding FPS sliders in.

I game on an X now and cant see myself going back to PC. It performs well bang for buck, its stable and hassle free. Plus my sofa is more comfortable than my PC chair :)

Soldato
I have a gaming PC (i7,16Gb, GTX 1070), XBOX One X and a PS4 Pro with VR and to be honest all I do is download the free games for the consoles and use the PC for Zwift. I’m at a point we’re I should just sell the consoles while they still have value and just stick with occasional PC gaming but I’m struggling to let go!

I’ve definitely drifted away from gaming and cycling is now my main hobby.

Associate
As long as you've got the net for it, shadow isn't too bad. I just got activated last week and was having a play about at the weekend. Sadly I game on a 4G connection, so latency at my end is poor. But playing doom for an hour or so was pretty good, but I did notice lag. Again though, that's at my end.

True, it might not be a replacement for your own high end gaming pc. But if you have a low end pc, it's worth a punt. Definitely don't knock it till you've tried it, I was pretty damn impressed. Just make sure you're nets up to it, like over 100mb d/l at least.

Back
Top Bottom