Abit IP35 Pro overclocking guide for Q6600 CPU from 11 years ago wanted..

Associate
I asked Overclockers but it appears they no longer have a copy of their helpful instructions, which many years ago now I got with a CPU+MB bundle.

Since my CPU has mysteriously reset itself somewhat (I added a new graphics card and it did this !), and so far I haven't found my hard copy of said guide, has anyone got a PDF/etc. copy they could send me by email ?

I know there are various online guides, but this particular guide was very specific about the steps you had to take so you didn't break anything, and I'd really not like to break anything more !

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Its very unlikely you will be able to kill it by doing something wrong and the cpu is £8 now. I have accidentally boot a q6600 at 2.1v on phase cooling and it still works fine now.

Associate
OP
I also don't want to kill the motherboard and anything else plugged in.

Its running a Q9550 now.

I do remember there was steps you had to do in a certain order and reboot between them, or it wouldn't work. (I seem to recal that W10 is ultra picky about this kind of thing on this particular MB and CPU, as such I don't want to break my W10 installation !)

Interestingly its settings got changed when I plugged in a GTX 1060 6Gb graphics card, I wonder why that was ?

I also have a GXT 750 Ti plugged in too, before that, now running both in tandem. (I wonder if there is a power draw issue with having two graphic cards and an overclocked CPU ?) I also have a new PSU as well, a 1,000w model, rather than the previous 550w model, on the basis that I wasn't sure 550w would be enough to power the two graphic cards and other bits N' pieces. (Various online calculators said 750w PSU was recommended for what I have plugged in.)

I've searched the house and the garage, but no sign of it, but I could swear I saw it a year or two ago here, I just can't remember where for sure, or where I put it !

You'd think something like that would be laying around on the web someplace..

Gangster
OcUK Staff
I asked Overclockers but it appears they no longer have a copy of their helpful instructions, which many years ago now I got with a CPU+MB bundle.

Since my CPU has mysteriously reset itself somewhat (I added a new graphics card and it did this !), and so far I haven't found my hard copy of said guide, has anyone got a PDF/etc. copy they could send me by email ?

I know there are various online guides, but this particular guide was very specific about the steps you had to take so you didn't break anything, and I'd really not like to break anything more !

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have some settings from when we used to do them. Hopefully they will be of use to you.

It was a long time ago so maybe use them as a guideline.

Here you go:

Press Del To Enter The BIOS

Uguru utility - Press Enter
CPU Operating system - Press Enter And Change To User Define
External clock - Press Enter And Type In 377Mhz- Press Enter
Dram speed - Press Enter And Change To 1:1 20 - Press Enter
PCI Express clock - Press The + Key On The Keyboard - 101MHz

Voltage Control - Press Enter
CPU core - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.45V - Press Enter
DDR2 voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 2.200v - Press Enter
MCH voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.29v - Press Enter
ICH 1.05v voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.09v - Press Enter
ICHIO Voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.55v - Press Enter
Press Esc Twice

Standard CMOS Features - Press Enter
Change Time and Date Accordingly
Floppy Drive A - Disable If One Is Not Installed
Halt On - Press Enter And Scroll To No Errors And Press Enter
Press Esc

Advanced BIOS Features - Press Enter
First Boot Device - Press Enter And Scroll To HDD And Press Enter
Second Boot Device - Press Enter And Scroll To CDROM And Press Enter
Press Esc

Advanced Chipset Features - Press Enter
DRAM Timings - Press Enter And Change To Manual
CAS Latency - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 5 Press Enter
RAS to CAS - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 5 Press Enter
RAS Precharge - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 5 Press Enter
Precharge - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 15 Press Enter
Init Display First - Press Enter and Select PCIEX Press Enter
Press ESC

Save And Exit - Press Enter And Then Press Y And Then Enter Again

Obviously each board and CPU is different and we did tweak the settings so please use as a guideline.

Last edited:
Soldato
see this is the problem, you have a different cpu to the q6600, so it wont run at same settings XD With c2q there are different stepping for some cpus as well.

From the above i would change.

Cpu core down to 1.4v as on a 45nm you dont want to run as high voltage as 65nm

Soldato
Hi,

I have some settings from when we used to do them. Hopefully they will be of use to you.

It was a long time ago so maybe use them as a guideline.

Here you go:

Press Del To Enter The BIOS

Uguru utility - Press Enter
CPU Operating system - Press Enter And Change To User Define
External clock - Press Enter And Type In 377Mhz- Press Enter
Dram speed - Press Enter And Change To 1:1 20 - Press Enter
PCI Express clock - Press The + Key On The Keyboard - 101MHz

Voltage Control - Press Enter
CPU core - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.45V - Press Enter
DDR2 voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 2.200v - Press Enter
MCH voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.29v - Press Enter
ICH 1.05v voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.09v - Press Enter
ICHIO Voltage - Press Enter And Scroll Down To - 1.55v - Press Enter
Press Esc Twice

Standard CMOS Features - Press Enter
Change Time and Date Accordingly
Floppy Drive A - Disable If One Is Not Installed
Halt On - Press Enter And Scroll To No Errors And Press Enter
Press Esc

Advanced BIOS Features - Press Enter
First Boot Device - Press Enter And Scroll To HDD And Press Enter
Second Boot Device - Press Enter And Scroll To CDROM And Press Enter
Press Esc

Advanced Chipset Features - Press Enter
DRAM Timings - Press Enter And Change To Manual
CAS Latency - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 5 Press Enter
RAS to CAS - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 5 Press Enter
RAS Precharge - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 5 Press Enter
Precharge - Press Enter And Scroll Down to 15 Press Enter
Init Display First - Press Enter and Select PCIEX Press Enter
Press ESC

Save And Exit - Press Enter And Then Press Y And Then Enter Again

Obviously each board and CPU is different and we did tweak the settings so please use as a guideline.

Now that's what you call a comprehensive instruction doc. From 11 years ago too. :eek: Impressive!

Associate
OP
I found using the Q9550 I hardly had to change anything to get it to overclock, but I did have to underclock the memory to get all 8Gb of RAM to work.
(I went for a simple overclock to 3.4Ghz for the CPU, and the memory downgraded to 800Mhz.)

Now its back to 2.89Ghz with all auto settings, and the memory to 816Mhz or so.

On the plus side, its using less watts. :)

But it is noticeably slower.. :(

Thanks hugely for the guidelines.

Associate
OP
This just came to me, doesn't tell me how I got there, but at least shows me / others what the settings ended up as:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127894154@N03/albums

Two photo albums:

> Abit IP35 Pro BIOS settings with 3.4Ghz Q9550 CPU

> Abit IP35 Pro BIOS settings with Q6600 CPU

I vaguely remember now taking the pictures on an Android phone, and it was so difficult to upload them to anywjere, the only place I could find to put them was on a FlickR account, I created it just for them.

Hopefully this helps anyone else searching for answers too.

Associate
Permabanned
I had it all written down on some paper and was just about to search it all out for you. I too had the same setup. In fact, the Q6600 was only two CPU's ago for me. 2006 -2011 Q6600. I went i5 2500K in 2011 and AMD 3600 in 2019. Looking at that tasty 5000 series. I need that single-core performance for my Arma 3 addiction.

Arma 3 multiplayer would be a great benchmark for CPU's

Great times with that Q6600 with Planetside 1.

Associate
I realize this thread is a little stale but I hope not too much so.

I came across and old machine of mine in a closet and discovered it had a copy of windows 10 installed on it. I've converted all my other machines to Linux (mint) I thought it would be nice to have one windows machine functioning. It was running a core2 duo e6300 with 1 gig of memory so I decided to drop $28 on 8gb of DDR2 and a Core2 Quad Q6000. Here's the current setup:

Asus IP35-Pro with last BIOS available
8 gig (4x2) of ddr2 800mhz, micron 1.8volts (running at 2.0 volts) and cl 6 (running at 5)
Q6600 overclocked
Radeon HD 3450 video (set to stay at 100mhz)
480 gig PNY SSD
CPU cooled by Thermalright 120 extreme with 2 fans (one pushing and one pulling)

When I installed the $8 q6600 cpu I put fresh thermal paste on.
I've been stepping up my overclock by increasing clock and voltages sequentially but nothing drastic.
I am currently running at 360mhz x9 (total of 3240mhz). Temps are great with the cpu and cores in the mid to upper 30s centigrade on Prime95.
I plan on cranking it up just to see how fast it can go but will turn it back to around 3.2 ghz for day to day tasks. I don't game and rarely need much speed. I don't want to corrupt my one and only windows 10 setup (yes, I've cloned a functioning copy to another drive just in case).

The only problem I've had while pushing up the clock is when I've changed the ratio for memory to anything greater than 1.25 to 1. I've only done that twice. I was worried that the clock speed was pushing the memory too far past its approved 800mhz. Both times I changed the ratio to 1.5 to 1 the memory speed was in the mid 700s. Both times the machine wouldn't boot correctly. Once it wouldn't get through the BIOS and the other time it froze when loading windows 10. The time it froze when loading windows I had to physically drain the cmos power using the old fashioned jumper on the motherboard. After booting back to previous successful settings I was able to push the clock speed to the same settings that caused failure by leaving the memory ratio at 1.25 to 1.

HERE's the QUESTION:

I do not understand why changing the memory ratio for a lower memory speed would cause the system to fail? Can anyone explain that to me? thanks!

Back
Top Bottom