• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need help deciding on GPU

Associate
OP
All sorted now. She (the agent) took awhile and even asked me for proof of motherboard purchase (Which was proven with a pic of the receipt placed on the desktop, which she then uploaded to MS) Best thing is they've activated it as well as giving me a product key so i'll not have to do this again, like when i go up to 3000 series etc.. Winner. PCars2 runs 1440p@75 with everything maxed out whoosh..

Associate
I'm glad you didn't just buy a 1080ti or 2070 to go with your old fx6300. That CPU would hold those cards back so much. Going Ryzen was the right solution.

My brother is on a fx8350 and upgraded from 1050ti to 1070ti. While overall his framerates jumped up quite a bit, there was still a lot of frame drops and the overall experience was far from smooth.

Associate
OP
I'm glad you didn't just buy a 1080ti or 2070 to go with your old fx6300. That CPU would hold those cards back so much. Going Ryzen was the right solution.

My brother is on a fx8350 and upgraded from 1050ti to 1070ti. While overall his framerates jumped up quite a bit, there was still a lot of frame drops and the overall experience was far from smooth.

Yeah, the game is like a 1440p 75hz console now and looks beautiful with all the shadows turned up. Well chuffed. Don't even need to overclock the GPU which is a first for me.

Associate
OP

The 1080ti would've bottlenecked it even more so yeah i'm glad i saw sense

Associate
How's the 2600 going? One thing I noted when on the FX-8350 in Shadow of the Tomb Raider was I could tell an NPC-heavy combat scene was just around the corner, as my frame rate would crash from 60 fps to about <40 fps before I got within 80 yards of them.

Personally loving the 2700, it handles the most NPC CPU-heavy scenes with utter indifference compared with staring at blank walls (which the FX-8350 excelled at :p)

Associate
OP
How's the 2600 going? One thing I noted when on the FX-8350 in Shadow of the Tomb Raider was I could tell an NPC-heavy combat scene was just around the corner, as my frame rate would crash from 60 fps to about <40 fps before I got within 80 yards of them.

Personally loving the 2700, it handles the most NPC CPU-heavy scenes with utter indifference compared with staring at blank walls (which the FX-8350 excelled at :p)

Yeah it's night and day different than the FX. The game takes max 25% cpu and powers through it. That chip made all the difference. Even the RX580 looked awesome in it's hands. Easily double the performance of FX and in games triple.

Associate
I'm in the same boat, I've got a titan x (maxwell) and play at 1440p. Would it be worth upgrading my graphics card or my system?

i7 4770k stock speed
16gb ram

Soldato
I'm in the same boat, I've got a titan x (maxwell) and play at 1440p. Would it be worth upgrading my graphics card or my system?

i7 4770k stock speed
16gb ram

Why not OC the CPU? In truth, it depends on the games. The Titan XM is still a fine card, around the level of a 1070, but Maxwell suffers in DX 12 & Vulkan games, and that's where you'd see a bigger jump for the newer cards when compared. Also depends on what framerates & visual quality settings you're looking to enjoy, as the 4770k will see you well enough at 60 fps but will start struggling as you reach and want to pass 100.

Associate
Why not OC the CPU? In truth, it depends on the games. The Titan XM is still a fine card, around the level of a 1070, but Maxwell suffers in DX 12 & Vulkan games, and that's where you'd see a bigger jump for the newer cards when compared. Also depends on what framerates & visual quality settings you're looking to enjoy, as the 4770k will see you well enough at 60 fps but will start struggling as you reach and want to pass 100.

Would you suggest a gtx 2070?

Associate
Just reinstalled pc2 as haven't played it for AGES! its still dirty as hell online lol but my setup eats it at 4k, got nearly everything maxed apart from AA on medium and its locked at 60fps constant :)

Have vsync on in nvc as playing on my freesync monitor, ive been well impressed with my 2070, considering I don't have the best cpu in the world and the 2070 is supposed to be a 1440p card ive been amazed how many games I can play maxed at 4k

Back
Top Bottom