Motors YouTube Videos

Man of Honour
lol? [..]

No, not lol.

If you want to make a rational comparison between two cars on a track you need to have relevant data, i.e. repeated lap times by the same driver on the same track in the same conditions. If you just want to say "that looks silly", fine, but that's a completely different thing.

As you said yourself, he has had no relevant training or experience. He's not a competent racing driver. So it's irrelevant that more skilled drivers are faster in a stock Elise. Of course they are - they're more skilled. That's why, for example, Sabine Schmitz was able to do the Nurburgring in a bottom model Transit van at about the same speed as Jeremy Clarkson could do it in a Jaguar S-type.

Caporegime
Someone with the same skill would be faster in a stock Elise because it would be infinitely more predictable on the limit and probably wouldn't catch fire mid lap either.

Man of Honour
Someone with the same skill would be faster in a stock Elise because it would be infinitely more predictable on the limit and probably wouldn't catch fire mid lap either.

That's speculation, not evidence. I agree with that speculation, but it is speculation. There isn't solid evidence in the form of valid experimentation. Same driver, same conditions, same track, same tires, i.e. same everything apart from the car.

Although catching fire mid lap does adversely affect lap times :)

Caporegime
That's speculation, not evidence. I agree with that speculation, but it is speculation. There isn't solid evidence in the form of valid experimentation. Same driver, same conditions, same track, same tires, i.e. same everything apart from the car.

Although catching fire mid lap does adversely affect lap times :)

So what are you getting at? :confused:

It's no secret (in fact it's pretty well documented) how this car has been treated and how it's failed, quite spectacularly too, on multiple occasions. It's a complete and utter shed. I suspect half the reason he's still at it is because he knows damn well that it won't be worth more than scrap money.

This abortion of a race car wouldn't stand a chance against a stock Elise, with all variables bar the car being equal, I'd gladly take that bet, and I'd also put a tickle on for it to fail before it completes an actual lap in anger.

I have many, many theories as to why he's going to drag race it, the largest of which is that he's realised he's ruined the handling.

It'll be over before he starts though, I know some drag racers who earn a good living and they will openly tell you that it's seriously, seriously expensive.

Man of Honour
So what are you getting at? :confused:

That speculation, even when reasonable, isn't the same as proof. There's a lack of evidence.

It's no secret (in fact it's pretty well documented) how this car has been treated and how it's failed, quite spectacularly too, on multiple occasions. It's a complete and utter shed. I suspect half the reason he's still at it is because he knows damn well that it won't be worth more than scrap money.

This abortion of a race car wouldn't stand a chance against a stock Elise, with all variables bar the car being equal, I'd gladly take that bet, and I'd also put a tickle on for it to fail before it completes an actual lap in anger.

I wouldn't offer you that bet because I think the same thing. Also because I don't gamble, but if I did I'd be betting on the stock Elise to win on a like for like basis.

I have many, many theories as to why he's going to drag race it, the largest of which is that he's realised he's ruined the handling.

I'd say it's a toss-up between that and the fact that he's not a racing driver and doesn't have a racing driver willing to do it for no money.

It'll be over before he starts though, I know some drag racers who earn a good living and they will openly tell you that it's seriously, seriously expensive.

That's true. You need plenty of spare money for drag racing. It might only be a quarter of a mile at a time, but it's a very hard quarter of a mile. Expensive to build and expensive to maintain and expensive to fix (and things will break) and you'll need to trailer the car around and if you want to get really serious you're going to want to go overseas because drag racing isn't very much of a thing in the UK even when it isn't raining. Which it usually is.

Caporegime
That speculation, even when reasonable, isn't the same as proof. There's a lack of evidence.

I wouldn't offer you that bet because I think the same thing. Also because I don't gamble, but if I did I'd be betting on the stock Elise to win on a like for like basis.

I'd say it's a toss-up between that and the fact that he's not a racing driver and doesn't have a racing driver willing to do it for no money.

That's true. You need plenty of spare money for drag racing. It might only be a quarter of a mile at a time, but it's a very hard quarter of a mile. Expensive to build and expensive to maintain and expensive to fix (and things will break) and you'll need to trailer the car around and if you want to get really serious you're going to want to go overseas because drag racing isn't very much of a thing in the UK even when it isn't raining. Which it usually is.

The UK has the world's third largest "drag racing scene"* after the USA and Oz.

*I have no idea on what this info is based.

Man of Honour

The UK has hardly any drag racing tracks and the wrong weather. The "scene" might be large, but the really serious drag racing is elsewhere. I don't think Andy Frost was completely joking when he said he could get more passes in one day in Bahrain than in one year in the UK.

Soldato

i dont think so, i'd put Greece and Malaysia etc well ahead of us.......we only have Santa Pod and that's miles away, we were at our height back in the 1980s

Back
Top Bottom