Human v Chimp fight

Associate
Is that your definition of doing "very well" in a fight? :confused: The guy got dragged around like a doll and had to jump/fall in the water to escape. You can also tell that the chimp was trying more to scare him off than do any real damage.
Haha this the guy was getting led around like a baby I'm sure the chimp even meant for him to land in the water.

Chimp didn't wanna hurt him

Caporegime
Funny thing about chimps.

They are strong enough to rip your arms and legs off.

But at the same time, their grip is so weak they need to use both hands to eat an apple!

(Source, Dr Alice Roberts-One of those BBC human evolution documentaries)

:confused:

Is this not down to how elongated their hands are and how their thumbs don’t even cover the length of the palm? It would make holding an apple one handed rather awkward.

Edit: a quick search on google images shows plenty of pictures of them eating apples with one hand.

If their grip was weak how do they hang from branches one handed for so long?

Soldato
Is this not down to how elongated their hands are and how their thumbs don’t even cover the length of the palm? It would make holding an apple one handed rather awkward.

If their grip was weak how do they hang from branches one handed for so long?

Yes, that is exactly what it is about.

Chimps also don't have the large muscles that we have on our thumbs to close the grip.

I just find it interesting that while enormously strong in other ways, and not really (From a structural POV) being that different from Humans. they cant even hold an apple!

:p

Soldato
OP
This seems to be an old chimp but look at the thickness of his forearms and the bulging biceps. Absolutely jacked.

I was reading about this subject last night and got directed to a bodybuilders forum. Someone said chimps not only have MUCH larger and more dense bone structures, their joint structures are also superior as well as the muscle fibres in general. Chimps also have better muscle leverage. The attachment points of their muscles provides for greater leverage which = greater power. The first thing a chimp would go for would be your genitals, he would rip them off almost instantly. This has been WELL documented in both ape on human, and ape on ape attacks. Secondly, your face will be chewed to bits. While you put your fingers and hands in front of your face to protect yourself, they'll be chewed off as well.

They reckon even the great bodybuilder Ronnie Coleman would get his ass whooped.

Someone also said Tyson once tried to bribe someone at a zoo to let him fight a Gorilla but he really had no idea what he was asking. Tyson was a ridiculous boxer but a weak female gorilla would have tossed him about like a rag doll. He is an idiot.

Soldato
I think the fight would depend mostly on the psychology of the human. If they went into the fight knowing it's life or death, they might stand a far better chance than if they were just in for a spar. Because the chimps won't be holding back and they'll have no issue with tearing pieces off the human. The man would need to have that same psychology or else they'd be at a huge disadvantage from the get go.

If you dropped a random adult man and a chimp into a small forest and made them fight to the death, I would back the human. Our intelligence trumps raw strength in most cases. As soon as the man gets a decent chunk of wood in his hands, the odds start to tip heavily in his favour.

Soldato
I think the fight would depend mostly on the psychology of the human. If they went into the fight knowing it's life or death, they might stand a far better chance than if they were just in for a spar. Because the chimps won't be holding back and they'll have no issue with tearing pieces off the human. The man would need to have that same psychology or else they'd be at a huge disadvantage from the get go.

If you dropped a random adult man and a chimp into a small forest and made them fight to the death, I would back the human. Our intelligence trumps raw strength in most cases. As soon as the man gets a decent chunk of wood in his hands, the odds start to tip heavily in his favour.

The chimp can get himself up a tree and then yeet down onto the guy, massive advantage in agility.

Also, id imagine the best weapon a random adult could make would be a sharpened stick, so he’s got one shot at doing any damage to the chimp, and even then if he stabs him centre mass the chimp is probably going to be so incensed that adrenaline will see him through that’s and still pull the mans face off.

The human would have to get a perfect eye/face stab first time to stand a change of surviving.

I genuinely think there isn’t a single scenario where a human could beat a chimp without an advanced weapon (steel/metal knife and above)

Soldato

There is a certain element of truth in that in animal attacks generally.

Most humans are not actually that used to fighting and will tend to hold back initially when attacked by, say for instance, Dogs, because there is actually a reluctance to hurt the attacking animal.

To have any chance of beating a chimp, one would have to act like one.

Your very first move would have to be a full throttle Nuclear grade all out attack. Biting, Scratching, Gouging, Poking, Twisting, Screaming_Blue_Murder, kicking, and so on, with no let up until you are ether victorious or dead!

Because that is exactly what the Chimp will do and your only chance of survival is to try to out-Chimp the Chimp.

Man of Honour
Yes, that is exactly what it is about.

Chimps also don't have the large muscles that we have on our thumbs to close the grip.

I just find it interesting that while enormously strong in other ways, and not really (From a structural POV) being that different from Humans. they cant even hold an apple!

:p

They can hold an apple. They can also grip pretty strongly if it's something they can wrap their hand around well enough, like a branch. But they're right out of luck if the grip requires a thumb, which it pretty much always does if you want to use an object rather than just gripping it. So, for example, chimps have been observed using sticks as crude tools, but they often drop them while doing so. I assume they also don't have their brains wired for tool use either, which would reduce their dexterity further.

Also on the tangent of surprising things, chimps are worse than humans at throwing objects. Not just for accuracy, but also for force. Human physiology is more efficient in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom