British woman jailed in Egypt for 3 years for bringing in painkillers

Associate
just seen her on the news blubbering she'll be sat in front of schofield and Willoughby by the end of next week,:rolleyes: my mother takes this tramadol stuff but is only allowed 28 at a time 300 that's the best part of a years supply if taking one per day did she get them off some drug dealer ?

Soldato
My thoughts on it is that she was rightfully jailed & the UK should not have intervened.

The UK public would be baying for blood if an Egyptian citizen had brought in banned substance that was just regulated in Egypt & the UK government rolled over and released him.

Tramadol is a prescription only drug & now classed as a 'controlled drug' in the UK. That should have least been a clue to check it's status on the destination country.

How can we expect visitors to obey our laws when we kick off when one of our citizens break the law whilst visiting another country and gets punished for it?

Soldato
My thoughts on it is that she was rightfully jailed & the UK should not have intervened.

The UK public would be baying for blood if an Egyptian citizen had brought in banned substance that was just regulated in Egypt & the UK government rolled over and released him.

Tramadol is a prescription only drug & now classed as a 'controlled drug' in the UK. That should have least been a clue to check it's status on the destination country.

How can we expect visitors to obey our laws when we kick off when one of our citizens break the law whilst visiting another country and gets punished for it?

I agree we seem to be able to do what we want including starting illegal wars.

Man of Honour
Hey, when I broke my back all I needed was 90mg codeine every 3 hours. Sent me high into the clouds

Different people can have a significantly different response to the same drug and some drugs can easily result in developing a tolerance.

Like you, I have a strong response to opiods. 30mg of codeine is as much as I will take and I wouldn't like to drive after doing so. I know that my thinking and reactions are compromised. Maybe if I'd broken my back I'd take more, but 90mg every 3 hours would make me right off my head and fit for nothing other than smiling slackly.

On the other hand, someone I know requires tramadol to get out of bed and remain functional most days. Codeine has little effect on them - they can (and do) take 60mg of codeine like it's a couple of aspirin. They've had chronic pain from injuries for years. How much of the difference is individual variation and how much is a developed tolerance? I don't know.

Caporegime
She should, but probably won’t.

It’s a shame as this gives us brits a very bad name, especially when you have a MP mouthing off about how backwards Egypt is and she should be freed.
I know you can be arrested in this country for violating one of the UK's laws whilst abroad (if you are a Brit).

But would you also be arrested in this country for violating a foreign country's law (whilst abroad) for something that isn't illegal here?

I'm guessing it depends on treaties, etc.

Soldato
Stupid people I have travelled to many places with many drugs legal or not. Condom up the chocolate starfish you good to go done it many of times, just make sure it goes in easer and comes out complete.

Its the **** in the sink you have to wash off in the sink that's the killer. Itchy bum surprise to come to say. lol :D

Soldato
just seen her on the news blubbering she'll be sat in front of schofield and Willoughby by the end of next week,:rolleyes: my mother takes this tramadol stuff but is only allowed 28 at a time 300 that's the best part of a years supply if taking one per day did she get them off some drug dealer ?

Good call! There she was today having a good sob :o

Going from the previous media pics it genuinely looks like the prison treated her well :p

Soldato

My partner has fibromyalgia and when not pregnant (as she currently is) Her prescription is for 100 per month.

Associate
Good call! There she was today having a good sob :o

Going from the previous media pics it genuinely looks like the prison treated her well :p

lol she didn't hang about then already pulling in the appearance fees a book too follow no doubt or an appearance on some reality show :p

Soldato
Saw her on GMB this morning, Piers ripped her to shreds and she struggled to keep up with her 'story'. She knew exactly what she was doing.

Caporegime
OP

Yikes, she's supposedly only 34! Chavvy women really don't age well at all, but yeah, they've either kept her quite well fed or she was even fatter before prison!

Caporegime
Different people can have a significantly different response to the same drug and some drugs can easily result in developing a tolerance.

Like you, I have a strong response to opiods. 30mg of codeine is as much as I will take and I wouldn't like to drive after doing so. I know that my thinking and reactions are compromised. Maybe if I'd broken my back I'd take more, but 90mg every 3 hours would make me right off my head and fit for nothing other than smiling slackly.

On the other hand, someone I know requires tramadol to get out of bed and remain functional most days. Codeine has little effect on them - they can (and do) take 60mg of codeine like it's a couple of aspirin. They've had chronic pain from injuries for years. How much of the difference is individual variation and how much is a developed tolerance? I don't know.

Codeine is honestly just a bad drug overall. It's variable bioavailability means that it has no effect on some people and a severe effect on others. It's metabolised to morphine so it makes no sense to prescribe codeine when you can prescribe morphine. Unfortunately politics gets in the way of medicine, no one wants to prescribe a schedule II drug.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I know you can be arrested in this country for violating one of the UK's laws whilst abroad (if you are a Brit).
Yup but only for a very limited number of offences - murder, child sex offences, conspiring abroad to commit an offence in this country and a few other things. The general rule is that an offence can only be prosecuted where it was committed.

But would you also be arrested in this country for violating a foreign country's law (whilst abroad) for something that isn't illegal here?
Dual criminality is a requirement in extradition proceedings. It doesn't have to be exactly the same offence but, broadly speaking, the same conduct should criminal in both jurisdictions.

Man of Honour
Saw her on GMB this morning, Piers ripped her to shreds and she struggled to keep up with her 'story'. She knew exactly what she was doing.

This women told lie after lie, anyone could see. Funny when Piers asked her where she got them from :D She looked flustered then alright!

Associate
Imagine thinking taking 300 tablets of any description never mind a bloody class C (still is i believe?) would be acceptable. She's got lucky

Pretty sure (under UK law, at least) that it becomes class A if you give it to someone other than the prescribee...

Class C if you don't have a scrip, Class A if you sell it on. Correct me if I'm wrong- there's a fair chance!

Man of Honour
Codeine is honestly just a bad drug overall. It's variable bioavailability means that it has no effect on some people and a severe effect on others. It's metabolised to morphine so it makes no sense to prescribe codeine when you can prescribe morphine. Unfortunately politics gets in the way of medicine, no one wants to prescribe a schedule II drug.

I agree. As you say, codeine is effectively just a less predictable dose of morphine and "less predictable dose" is a bad idea in medicine. Although on bad days I like the fact that I can buy a more effective painkiller over the counter.

Soldato
This women told lie after lie, anyone could see. Funny when Piers asked her where she got them from :D She looked flustered then alright!

She just came across as very thick, Piers just exposed her...she was in it for a quick profit and it went completely wrong.

MAde me laugh when he said something along the lines of he has been diagnosed with various things and in the last 7 or so weeks he has taken around 1/3rd less than the tablets she took over. She just started to get so flustered like you say.

Back
Top Bottom