8P Audi S3 - buying advice

Soldato
Most cars have issues it just depends on the severity and how common they are. With preventative maintenance as highlighted above, it shouldn't be any worse than most cars but as with anything 5-10+ years old, there's always risk.

I think the Germans only make cars to last 3 years these days, since that is the duration most of their customers rent them for :/

Which is why I buy Japanese now. The only "worry" with them is possible rust, but that's easily avoided with rust proofing. Mechanically, they don't break.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I ran an '07 for a year 2014-2015 and took it from 108,000 to 126,000 miles.

Some solid advice in this thread, nothing really else that can go wrong, although I did buy mine with a bust a/c compressor and some other issues.
Mine never used more oil than normal and I only ever replaced filters and front pads. The engine was a bit clattery so I suspect the chain was iffy.

The car will never set your soul on fire, but it's a fast, capable, hatchback. Cruises through Germany at 150mph all day long and the 4wd with winter tyres will take you skiing in Norway.
Would I get an '07 now? Probably not; I'd look for a facelift. As mentioned earlier, they can have issues, but if you find a low owner, well-maintained example, you might be ok.

What do you want from a car though? Unless you want to blat down the motorway at 120+, the S3 is a rather dull car.

Associate
I had a 60 reg S3 8p and it was great at first coming from a type r as it was a lot faster. but after about a year and a stage 1 tune I was bored, so much so it was garaged for 3 months whilst I drove a mini I had access to (mini wasn't being used and needed driving). I only had the s3 about 15 months before moving to an m135i which is much more fun :)

Soldato
I had a 60 reg S3 8p and it was great at first coming from a type r as it was a lot faster. but after about a year and a stage 1 tune I was bored, so much so it was garaged for 3 months whilst I drove a mini I had access to (mini wasn't being used and needed driving). I only had the s3 about 15 months before moving to an m135i which is much more fun :)

The 135 and 140s do seem to be very underrated. You'd not get one for 10k though.

Associate
Well, I'm a bit 'put off' now :eek::D

Honestly thought the TFSI's were solid.

Is it work risking one off an enthusiast or forget about the idea completely?

I wouldn't be put off. Modern cars are complex and I don't think you'll find any make or model which doesn't come with the risk of a big bill. Go on any car forum or type "car xyz common issues" in Goggle and you'll find no end of horror stories. Generally, people don't go on forums and say my cars working fine.

nas

nas

Associate
Not quite the same but you’ll no doubt experience a large portion of the typical niggles found with the A3.

If you’re absolutely set on the S3, then go for one, but be well aware of the issues and either check to ensure the matters have been addressed or set aside an additional “preventative” budget to cover issues you see plastered all over the forums.

I had a moment where I considered the S3 but ended up scrapping all that luxury for a R56 JCW (with warranty).

I owned an 08 S line 1.8tfsi in 2016. Getting straight to the point, these cars are absolutely brilliant when they work. Mine was pretty well specced (heated leather, bluetooth, parking sensors, dsg, autolights etc) and offered respectable performance, the 1.8ts are pretty rare (in this form) so I doubt you'll find a decent one(let alone with a dsg) so my money would be on you likely ending up with the 2.0 or 3.2 (if its a petrol you're after which can achieve mid to high 20s) don't pay over the odds just because it comes well specced, these can still shockingly be found for more than 6k, especially with low miles.

My general view is that these are getting old now, so be prepared to deal with a multitude of small non expensive issues which is I suppose testament to the age: Condensation in the tail lights, the rear wiper (google this), replacing screen wash hoses, excessive oil consumption, leaks and rattles. 225/40/18 tyres can be pricey if you're not used to paying £90+ p/c.

As well as the minor faults, they are still capable of doing significant damage to the wallet - timing chain (£700) and the mechatronic if you're looking for an auto (around £2k). With that said, the £5k outlay for a 10 year old A3 now jumps to around £7700, should both happen during ownership which puts the value for money aspect into perspective when looking at what you could buy if you pushed that to £8k. As above, these were 'designed' in 2003... so its pretty darn old.

They look nice and generally perform well but I'd go as new as possible for the money within your performance criteria. The car will depreciate, but not the running of it.

Ym3J1KX.jpg

Soldato
OP
I ran an '07 for a year 2014-2015 and took it from 108,000 to 126,000 miles.

Some solid advice in this thread, nothing really else that can go wrong, although I did buy mine with a bust a/c compressor and some other issues.
Mine never used more oil than normal and I only ever replaced filters and front pads. The engine was a bit clattery so I suspect the chain was iffy.

The car will never set your soul on fire, but it's a fast, capable, hatchback. Cruises through Germany at 150mph all day long and the 4wd with winter tyres will take you skiing in Norway.
Would I get an '07 now? Probably not; I'd look for a facelift. As mentioned earlier, they can have issues, but if you find a low owner, well-maintained example, you might be ok.

What do you want from a car though? Unless you want to blat down the motorway at 120+, the S3 is a rather dull car.

It needs to perform well so 0-60 6 seconds max, be a petrol, handle reasonably well, don't particularly want a car that rolls around all over the place. I fancy a step away from RWD to AWD.

It needs to be refined with a few toys - a biggy for me.

Not particularly after a saloon again but not set against them. Just fancy a quick hatch.

Coming from an E90 BMW which has been as good as gold for 5 years, it also needs to be reliable.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It needs to perform well so 0-60 6 seconds max, be a petrol, handle reasonably well, don't particularly want a car that rolls around all over the place. I fancy a step away from RWD to AWD.

It needs to be refined with a few toys - a biggy for me.

Not particularly after a saloon again but not set against them. Just fancy a quick hatch.

Coming from an E90 BMW which has been as good as gold for 5 years, it also needs to be reliable.

Golf R32?

Associate
Not sure if you mean 2009 to 2014? They have timing chain stretch issues.

I was actually eyeing up the 2014+ cars on the MBQ platform, I believe the engine code is EA888. A quick google seems to suggest they are pretty solid but I guess they might not be at that age yet where you start to see issues.

Associate
I have a 2007 8p s3, which i've owned for coming up to 4 years now. Only issue i've had with it is a seized brake caliper, which was easily rectified.

Within a few months of owning it, i put it to stage 1, and haven't had any issues with it's clucth as reported earlier by someone else, or any other internals.

To me, it's a solid car. Nippy when put to stage 1, and feels solid to drive, and has a great interior. The only negative i'd say is that it feels as heavy as a tank, so can't really throw it about like other cars i've had in the past when cornering etc, and as a result, along with the stage 1, drinks fuel. Think the face lifts are much better mpg wise. No issues with it drinking oil either. Been months since i last put oil into mine, and i drive the thing daily, and put a fair amount of miles on it most weekends.

Man of Honour
I was actually eyeing up the 2014+ cars on the MBQ platform, I believe the engine code is EA888. A quick google seems to suggest they are pretty solid but I guess they might not be at that age yet where you start to see issues.
My 2009 Golf GTI with the EA888 engine died. Didn't get to find the cause as I sold it while broken. But I suspect chain issues.

Back
Top Bottom