Spec me a game for work trips

Associate
My job has me spending 3-4 weeks away, up to 3 times a year. During this time I am staying in a hotel or serviced apartment.

I do my best to keep busy in the evenings, and weekends are great for doing some activities with friends and colleagues but usually with a heavy dose of jet lag I find myself needing something to distract me in the early hours.

Up until now, I have managed to play a fair bit of Civilization 5 (not a massive fan of the newer Civs). Can anyone recommend a good single player time waster?

The big restriction really is it needs to be kind of laptop friendly... I have a Windows 10 install on my work Mac (i9 / 32GB / 560X 4GB) and Mouse.

Soldato
I usually have large/grand strategy games like Total War, Civ, Stellaris, and Endless Legend installed for long trips for work. Builder games like Factorio, Rimworld and Prison Architect are awesome too for sinking hours into. Rogue-like/lite games are great, like Binding of Isaac, Darkest Dungeon, Don't Starve, Slay the Spire, and Rogue Legacy.

Man of Honour
Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic: Sith Lords (with deleted content patches)

Haven't had a machine without them installed on in a very long time.

Soldato
Crusader Kings 2 is always a good time waster. Also what about the Elder Scrolls games? Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim will easily eat up the hours, and when you add in the fact you can mod them, you'll get even more time out of them.

Also, the Fallout series is another good one to go for. They can be modded as well, and all of those games should run on a reasonable laptop.

Man of Honour
I work away from home, often abroad, for probably 6 months of the year, usually in 3 or 4 week blocks, for example I am currently in a serviced apartment in Belfast. I have a list of games that I play on my work laptop, sometimes with the missus on multiplayer on both hotel and, funnily enough, serviced apartment wifis. These are the titles I play through..

Civ 6
Darkest Dungeon
Slay the Spire
Oxygen not Included
Dont Starve Together
Rimworld
Factorio

Soldato
Another vote for rimworld.

I still suggest Uplink to people, it's a cracking game even after all this time and there are a few mods for it to so that it adds extra layers.

Soldato
Another vote for Rimworld. You'll start out struggling to survive and trying to be a friendly substance farmer and trader, but you'll soon get into the swing of making fine meals and hats out of your enemies.

Associate
King's bounty the legend and armored princess (not the later ones). Very laptop friendly and lot of fun if you like HOMM type games.

Plus of course crusader kings 2 if you can get a complete edition for a good price.

Back
Top Bottom