Built in wardrobe internal shelving and base removal

Soldato
Hi,

Bit of a weird one but I want to remove the innards, base, shelving and doors of a built in wardrobe to leave just the carcass of the two sides, back and ceiling

The issue is that the shelves and base are screwed in from the sides and rear which is impossible to get to, the only thing I can think of is to smash them out leaving the screws exposed and then drill out the screws but this would no doubt cause damage to the bits I need to keep

I don't suppose anyone has a more graceful method?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Yeah I cant do the latter its impossible to get to, I'm tempted to call a joiner round to see what he thinks but I might just grow a pair and see how far I get with smashing them out

They have to be fixed somehow
Just need to spend time working out how.

I would definately try to disassemble them if possible.

Its possible they wont be that sturdy if the shelves are removed, you may need to reinforce for example the corners to keep them square.

If you think the shelves are only screwed from the sides you can consider cutting the shelves from front to back to remove the majority of the shelf in the middle. The you just need to deal with strips down at the edges

What are you trying to do with the space inside? If all you want is the carcass, maybe rip it all out and line the area with something else?

Soldato
I assume you're putting doors back on? you could always cut away the thread part of the screws, but you'd end up leaving the head and the hole slightly visible, but shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're putting the doors back on.

Soldato
OP
Yeah the base and shelves were screwed in from the rear and side prior to the whole thing being put into place

It is massive set of wardrobes running the whole room, the part I am stripping is one of 3 wardrobes in the whole unit, to the left is a sealed void for a mirror, to the right is a freshly decorated feature wall, I cant dismantle it its not an option unfortunately

The space inside is going to eventually be my desk space for my PC when I lose the box room (hopefully if its possible) lining the area is another option although it would reduce the internal space a bit where its already tight

Doors will be permanently removed

Soldato
I have fixed wardrobes and if I wanted to do what you plan then I would cut the shelves in middle from front to back - then they will drop slightly then get a muli tool and cut through the screws and dowels - My wardrobes have two fixed shelves - One just off floor and another at waist height or there about - all others are removable - Just remember once shelves are out the wardrobes become a bit flimsy so a few batons here and there might be needed - if you put a work top across then that will help.
The backs on mine are also rubbish - made out of soggy rice paper so are easy to dislodge from groove they fit in so you might need some new backs but they can just be fixed on top of old ones with plenty of mastic glue.

Just remembered - mine are separate unit's - ie -double wardrobes and they slide in next to each other and were screwed together inside -usually with double ended screws that screw into each other- In theory you could remove those screws and slide one unit out. - -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedroom-...Bolts-Fixing-Wood-Joiner-Screws-/290901176951

Soldato
OP
I have fixed wardrobes and if I wanted to do what you plan then I would cut the shelves in middle from front to back - then they will drop slightly then get a muli tool and cut through the screws and dowels - My wardrobes have two fixed shelves - One just off floor and another at waist height or there about - all others are removable - Just remember once shelves are out the wardrobes become a bit flimsy so a few batons here and there might be needed - if you put a work top across then that will help.
The backs on mine are also rubbish - made out of soggy rice paper so are easy to dislodge from groove they fit in so you might need some new backs but they can just be fixed on top of old ones with plenty of mastic glue.

Just remembered - mine are separate unit's - ie -double wardrobes and they slide in next to each other and were screwed together inside -usually with double ended screws that screw into each other- In theory you could remove those screws and slide one unit out. - -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedroom-...Bolts-Fixing-Wood-Joiner-Screws-/290901176951

Thanks, I dont think I have the relevant tool, do you mean like a mini dremal to cut through the screws?

I cant pull it out, not without redecorating and there is no way on earth I'm doing that I've been decorating since last June and its all fresh. Annoyingly this is a new idea so I need to work around the decorating otherwise I would have done it right at the start

The backs are quite solid, definitely not bendable. I am now concerned how sturdy it will be once the shelves and base are removed, the shelves run top to bottom on either side

Associate
Jigsaw the shelves out completely, so that 1" remains on each side. Cut the remainder into sections until you find where the screws are. Carefully break the remainder of the shelf from the screws. Now you can either:
1. try knocking the screws out (back into their holes) with a hammer and then hammer and punch; or
2. use a small hole saw to cut the wood around the screw (basically off-set) the hole saw, this will remove a small piece of the wardrobe and the screw. Then plug the holes with material cut from the shelves (assuming that it is the same colour). You will need the next size up hole saw to cut the plugs. Carefully glue them in place.

Soldato
OP
Jigsaw the shelves out completely, so that 1" remains on each side. Cut the remainder into sections until you find where the screws are. Carefully break the remainder of the shelf from the screws. Now you can either:
1. try knocking the screws out (back into their holes) with a hammer and then hammer and punch; or
2. use a small hole saw to cut the wood around the screw (basically off-set) the hole saw, this will remove a small piece of the wardrobe and the screw. Then plug the holes with material cut from the shelves (assuming that it is the same colour). You will need the next size up hole saw to cut the plugs. Carefully glue them in place.

Good stuff, I like the hole saw and plugs idea. Time consuming but cheap and should work depending on the length of the screws

Wouldn't using the next size up whole saw make the plug too big?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom