• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
So I have just taken the plunge and ordered the Sapphire Nitro from OC - couldn't resist at that price with the 3 free games!

I am upgrading from a 1060 Strix.

One thing I am slightly concerned about is if my PSU will be able to handle it as I know its a juicy card. I currently have a Corsair CXM 650W. I've read differentiating reviews on what power I would need. Anyone running something similar?

That's possibly borderline, depending on what else you have in your system. If you have a lot of fans and other drives then it might be an issue. What's the rest of your spec? Have you an overlocked CPU?

Associate
Sorted. You'll notice a huge improvement. Remember to activate the Chill option in your games. Find it in the settings. You can edit it specific to each individual game. For example with my vega56, I set the FPS to 40-45 so it doesn't have to work hard when playing footy manager games. For BF1 I have it set to a range of 80-100 as it's a bit more of a taxing game than footy manager :p

Thanks for the tip. I had Chill with my R9 390 but never really needed to play with it that much.

As regards PSU - I'm maybe being over cautious going for a 850w but for the extra £20-30 I'd rather be over than under cautious. Not really something you want to scrimp on in a PC worth several hundreds of pounds.

Associate
So I have just taken the plunge and ordered the Sapphire Nitro from OC - couldn't resist at that price with the 3 free games!

I am upgrading from a 1060 Strix.

One thing I am slightly concerned about is if my PSU will be able to handle it as I know its a juicy card. I currently have a Corsair CXM 650W. I've read differentiating reviews on what power I would need. Anyone running something similar?

Hi Supr3me. You seem to be in the exact same boat I've been in for the past 48 hours. Like you, I read numerous reviews and it was all 50/50 on whether or not a 750w PSU would be enough power.

I have a Corsair CX750M and upgraded to a EVGA G2 850w to run the Vega 64. My reasoning bottomed down to - why take a risk on power and blowing up all the components when you can get a PSU rated for 850W with a ten year guarantee.

Associate
Hi Supr3me. You seem to be in the exact same boat I've been in for the past 48 hours. Like you, I read numerous reviews and it was all 50/50 on whether or not a 750w PSU would be enough power.

I have a Corsair CX750M and upgraded to a EVGA G2 850w to run the Vega 64. My reasoning bottomed down to - why take a risk on power and blowing up all the components when you can get a PSU rated for 850W with a ten year guarantee.

Yup sounds very similar. The Vega arrives tomorrow so I'll whack it in and see if it can handle it, but will probably look to upgrade the PSU just to be safe.

Out of interest how much was your 850w and did you sell the 750?

Associate
Yup sounds very similar. The Vega arrives tomorrow so I'll whack it in and see if it can handle it, but will probably look to upgrade the PSU just to be safe.

Out of interest how much was your 850w and did you sell the 750?

Got it for £120 from amazon. Not sold the CX750M yet as only ordered the 850 EVGA a couple of hours ago :D

For reference - I've got an overclocked 4770k, two HDDs, one SSD, four case fans, fan controller, 2 LED strips. So it looks like a bit more power draw than you have.

Associate
Ah ok - have you got the card yet? What are you upgrading from.

Hoping we don't get any coil whine problems as reading a few threads on here where a few people have had horrible problems with that with this card. Fingers crossed!

No should get the card tomorrow, same as you. Upgrading from an AMD R9 390 which has served my well the last 3/4 years - but I've got a new 1440p/144hz monitor that I want to get more out of.

Yeh fingers crossed on the coil whine front. Just another lottery I guess. Its a problem I've never had with any components before so *touch wood* hopefully I luck out again.

Associate
No should get the card tomorrow, same as you. Upgrading from an AMD R9 390 which has served my well the last 3/4 years - but I've got a new 1440p/144hz monitor that I want to get more out of.

Yeh fingers crossed on the coil whine front. Just another lottery I guess. Its a problem I've never had with any components before so *touch wood* hopefully I luck out again.

Like for like position, as I am also upgrading to a 1440p/144hz monitor. I've been running 1080 for last few years. What monitor did you go for out of interest? I would like to try and order one today so I can have everything set up for weekend.

Associate
Not compaining or looking for help just seeing if anyone else has this issue, So here it goes, Does anyone else notice large system crashes (Like 2 screens going black or a nasty driver crash) when HBCC is enabled with 2+ montiors alt tabbing or watching a video while playing any kind of demanding game ?

Permabanned

just to let you know 2 yrs ago ? my evga 850 went pop .. well more like a bang ..lol .. but they make them that well that nothing else was harmed ..
and 5 days yes 5 I had a new one at my door .. great service great psu

Caporegime
Not compaining or looking for help just seeing if anyone else has this issue, So here it goes, Does anyone else notice large system crashes (Like 2 screens going black or a nasty driver crash) when HBCC is enabled with 2+ montiors alt tabbing or watching a video while playing any kind of demanding game ?
No i do not see this behaviour.

Is anything overclocked on your system and what are your system specs?

Associate
Hi guys
So Ive been redoing my UV+OC on my Sapphire Vega 64.I settled on p6 1000mv/1592mhz and p7 1100mv/1682mv and finally HBM 1020mhz. All this gets me to 1615mhz@1,03v in games.
Now my problem is that if I try to rasise the HBM any higher than 1020mhz the HBM immediately drops to 800mhz.Previously When I was using driver version 18.12.1 I could raise it to 1040 and above, now with 18.11.1 it caps out at 1020mhz?
Im using 18.11.1 as the later drivers cause problems with my fan control and I encounter a bug where core and HBM get stuck on 2d clocks.
Is there something im missing with the HBM(Samsung) or is that it for me on this driver?

Associate
Hi guys
So Ive been redoing my UV+OC on my Sapphire Vega 64.I settled on p6 1000mv/1592mhz and p7 1100mv/1682mv and finally HBM 1020mhz. All this gets me to 1615mhz@1,03v in games.
Now my problem is that if I try to rasise the HBM any higher than 1020mhz the HBM immediately drops to 800mhz.Previously When I was using driver version 18.12.1 I could raise it to 1040 and above, now with 18.11.1 it caps out at 1020mhz?
Im using 18.11.1 as the later drivers cause problems with my fan control and I encounter a bug where core and HBM get stuck on 2d clocks.
Is there something im missing with the HBM(Samsung) or is that it for me on this driver?

Ok I figured it out "HBM Voltage" was too low.Stepped it up a bit and now I can hit 1100mhz on HBM.

Back
Top Bottom