Component level board repair. Watch me fail here!

Commissario
How dead is it? What does it do? I want some stuff to work on but wouldn't want any money to change hands. I would even pay postage and send it back if we succeed/fail. Sharing all the fun in here of course :) If you were up for that and @Maccy and the other lads say it's ok I would love to have a go.
I don't have a problem with it, just have to make sure that both parties agree to terms and if anything should get lost in the post who deals with it etc?

Man of Honour
OP
I don't have a problem with it, just have to make sure that both parties agree to terms and if anything should get lost in the post who deals with it etc?

Cheers dude. @233, balls in your court dude, if you want to see me attempt to break your gpu further then hit me up with a trust and we can work it out. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Gentlemen! I present to you the cheapest of equipment!! It's a shame that the hot air station told me it wouldn't be here until Monday as I left the phone in the office. TBH I'm pretty much set now just waiting on precision tweezers (essential kit!), gel flux and that is about it! Perhaps a bit later ill have a go at ripping some chips off of a board!

Only small issue I have right now then is nothing to fix! That is unless my mate brings up that Atari but still, Ill need parts for that I am sure!

Soldato
Have you given any thought about the potentially nasty fumes generated by the solder and flux? I've seen extractors at the workbench with it's hose going out the window, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

I can't justify an extractor as I only do the very occasional spot of soldering. But if you're looking into making this into a little hobby, I certainly wouldn't dismiss one.

Caporegime
Have you given any thought about the potentially nasty fumes generated by the solder and flux? I've seen extractors at the workbench with it's hose going out the window, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

I can't justify an extractor as I only do the very occasional spot of soldering. But if you're looking into making this into a little hobby, I certainly wouldn't dismiss one.
Nothing that a 12v bench supply, a high flow 80mm fan and some tumble dryer hose can’t solve.

Soldato
Hmmm this inspires me.

I'd love to say be able to buy a broken pc part gpu etc or cpu and somehow fix it.....

I always fix majority of my stuff but never things like soldering small components etc. Just soldering fixing my headphones drill etc here and there.... I've used same pair of sennheiser hd 595's for about 12 years now because i've repaired them so much. They still sound good though (Compared to my brand new hd 650's that pretty much sit in a box majority of time because I only use them for music editing here and there).

Edit: Also keep us updated on your progress + pics. I'm interested to see how it goes.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmmm this inspires me.

I'd love to say be able to buy a broken pc part gpu etc or cpu and somehow fix it.....

I always fix majority of my stuff but never things like soldering small components etc. Just soldering fixing my headphones drill etc here and there.... I've used same pair of sennheiser hd 595's for about 12 years now because i've repaired them so much. They still sound good though (Compared to my brand new hd 650's that pretty much sit in a box majority of time because I only use them for music editing here and there).

Edit: Also keep us updated on your progress + pics. I'm interested to see how it goes.

I'll keep you updated :) The iPhone 7 fix will be next week now but I do have a whole bunch of broken iPhone 6 phones plus about 4 iCloud locked devices so I could do something with them even if its just practising removing their audio IC's. I did want to wait until I had some of that gel flux that everybody seems to use but I do have liquid flux so perhaps I could have just a little go. I was going to try and make a semi decent video of the phone repair but if my previous youtube attempts are anything to go by it will be unedited, unscripted and badly filmed with a lot of "errr" involved.

Last edited:
Soldato

I built my own from a spare 120mm fan, 12v DC power supply, a charcoal filter and a 3d printed housing

I modified the design from this - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17086 so I could add a Rocker Switch/Kettle Plug adapter and to house the power supply all in one unit, total cost was about £10

Man of Honour
OP
I built my own from a spare 120mm fan, 12v DC power supply, a charcoal filter and a 3d printed housing

I modified the design from this - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17086 so I could add a Rocker Switch/Kettle Plug adapter and to house the power supply all in one unit, total cost was about £10

Thats awesome... I could put some carbon filter in it that I have in the garage, I have a load of small ITX power supplies as well as some 120mm fans... I recon I can make a little extractor. and I could also get it all 3d printed... hmmm

If you modified that to be a bit longer than a itx supply you could also make a housing for the whole thing in 1 unit as you say. I think I might do this, mind you I think I could easily make a better/different one out of a load of wood I have and that won't cost me a penny.

Last edited:

Soldato
How dead is it? What does it do? I want some stuff to work on but wouldn't want any money to change hands. I would even pay postage and send it back if we succeed/fail. Sharing all the fun in here of course :) If you were up for that and @Maccy and the other lads say it's ok I would love to have a go.

it seems to have no video output, although still spins up, its currently doing nothing other than sitting as a dead weight in a box so nothing ventured nothing gained :)##would be nice to get my xfire setup back again

Man of Honour
OP
it seems to have no video output, although still spins up, its currently doing nothing other than sitting as a dead weight in a box so nothing ventured nothing gained :)##would be nice to get my xfire setup back again

I'd be happy to have a look. I do know a trick for and cards which I've used to bring cards back to life before. And it doesn't even include an oven.

Last edited:
Soldato
Super interested to see how this goes. Known my way around a soldering iron for years but surface mount was always tricky. I've also been permanently shelving the hot air station idea. For now... :)

Soldato
I'd be happy to have a look. I do know a trick for and cards which I've used to bring cards back to life before. And it doesn't even include an oven.

sent you a trust can you fire me your address over and I'll post it over.

Back
Top Bottom