Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Not sure if anyone replied to this? I'd look at getting a broker account setup, personally. For quickness you can probably use your bank, especially if you don't intend to get into investing in other companies.
Hargreaves Lansdown and YouInvest are a few I recommend. YouInvest is I think cheaper for shares. Ideally use an ISA so your profits and dividends will be tax free. Both of these companies and others offer Stock ISA's (you buy and sell shares yourself from within the ISA)
Have a good look around. I invest in both shares and funds. Funds can be good for beginners as a relatively small amount of money (like £500-even 5000) could be invested in a number of companies by the fund, something you wouldn't really want to do yourself with such as small amount as it would be costly.
Thank you very much sir, this is exactly what I needed help with and is greatly appreciated.

As a side note, the company my hunch is on has gone from 0.86 to 1.29 since my first post - let's get on this!

Soldato
Thread OP returneth! never noticed you post before, welcome back :)

You bought into the peak of doubt, looks like it turned out well. I stopped following forex closely because its so full of news but I guess that could be helpful in prediction even

I guess weak sterling is presuming UK will upset trade in favour of requiring more imports in Brexit. I think theres something ironic going on with EURO and QE programs and how that develops but thats no use for trading forex :o Same for USD, the average bond term repayable is awfully short dated (if you remember this bullwhip dynamic in 2008 subprime) where as UK has the best average term in the world because we already screwed that up once in the 70's Not a positive but less negative in potential
Its something the economist would detail, I dont have a recent chart

Anyway Nvidia to do a share buyback apparently, some say thats a sign of market top. Apple or any quite high div company rebuying shares can be justified on reduced costs - https://t.co/TdVg3QYBm9

Deciding between FT all share & FT100. Pretty sure I want to FT100 this time, one has 44% in its top ten shares and the other 35% so its barely important I guess but I already hold smaller companies in other funds.
A list of every FTSE share, best list I can link quickly

Last edited:
Soldato
Difficult to say re Nvidia buying shares back. Some do it as they expect to be buying at a favourable price and will sell again for more in the future. So if a company think it's shares have been hit too hard(undervalued), they may buy some back.

Caporegime
Not sure what to do with my Thomas Cook shares.
Bought at 29p, now nearly 40p.
Only 1k to start but it is up.

This is the only time ive done well out of stocks.
Buying on massive losses where I think it's oversold. I'll stick with this approach going forward.

Always been great at buying, always been terrible at selling

Permabanned
Not sure what to do with my Thomas Cook shares.
Bought at 29p, now nearly 40p.
Only 1k to start but it is up.

This is the only time ive done well out of stocks.
Buying on massive losses where I think it's oversold. I'll stick with this approach going forward.

Always been great at buying, always been terrible at selling
I think it's perfectly reasonable to sell those now, that's a nice profit.
You have no profit at all until you actually sell, even if the numbers look nice in your share dealing account. :)

Soldato
Picked up a huge load of high risk stocks for my S&S ISA for this year, as I did much better then expected on safe (ish) investments in 2018. Be a shame if they all go south, but you never know.

Soldato
The BBC Tv series about making ordinary people into hedge fund traders was quite eye-opening. The amount of research required to pull off consistently successful trades is crazy.

This is why banks almost kill their grads as they learn then perform analysis before starting to trade.

You need to know the market you’re trading in.. a product manager is effectively a long term investment, how if your product is acquisitions or operating in optimising costs is very like trading.. with a safety net.

Soldato
Question about tax returns and shares. Basically can I sell £11k of shares and call this pure profit? Example.

I bought £50k of BP that is now worth £80K. £30K profit.

Just before April I sell £11k and call this taking profit. 30 days later I buy back into BP (to avoid 'bed and breakfast') and my net result is roughly:

I now own £80k of BP but £19k is profit. £11k was taken out as pure profit and put back in later.

Soldato
Question about tax returns and shares. Basically can I sell £11k of shares and call this pure profit? Example.

I bought £50k of BP that is now worth £80K. £30K profit.

Just before April I sell £11k and call this taking profit. 30 days later I buy back into BP (to avoid 'bed and breakfast') and my net result is roughly:

I now own £80k of BP but £19k is profit. £11k was taken out as pure profit and put back in later.

If you don't hold them inside a stock and shares ISA, then you would treat the capital gains based on the priced paid and the profit made on each share, assuming they were all bought at the same time and price. There is plenty of documents available on the Shares & Capitals Gains part of the .gov.uk website to help you with a specific query if it is more complex.

Soldato
Now that the Beaufort issue has been resolved I would like to do some more trading :-

https://www.ftadviser.com/your-industry/2018/11/14/beaufort-securities-clients-get-their-cash-back/

I am not that impressed with the replacement broker "The Share Centre", it has a terrible interface etc so looking to move to another broker. What are people currently recommending, in the past I have looked at Charles & Stanley, Barclays, YouInvest, Hargreaves and IG but wondered if people here have any experience that may help me select one.

Thanks

Caporegime
Probs depends what you need etc.. I'm sure people can make some recommendations here if you give some more details.

Interactive brokers are a decent all rounder if you're going to be fairly active.

You can ask @Diddums about the new service from trading212, they gave him a whole £16 or something... granted it was supposed to be a "free share" worth up to £100 but meh...

Soldato
Can anyone recommend who to use for casual share trading?
I've been using hargreaves lansdown but their app is useless. Keeps crashing when trying to buy and sell and their prices for trades are high.
Im only interested in casual trading and use a stocks ISA.

Which services do people recommend with a decent android app
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom