• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
For people concerned about using 750w PSU's - I've been running an X99 system with an R390 nitro+, which has a similar power draw to the V64, for over 3 years on a super flower leadex 750 gold.
I've never even heard the fans spin up once on the PSU - I think they're passive till about 530/540 w or something.
I have an expanding array of disks, nvme drive, aio cooler, tasteful RGB bling.
I haven't gotten round to testing my Vega 64 nitro+ properly, but absolutely no problems so far.

Associate
Mine turned up today which will go nicely with the 1440P 144Hz freesync display that turned up yesterday. Glad to be back on the red team with such a quality piece of equipment.

I had an R9 290 back when they came out that lasted me for ages and then moved on to a 980Ti which has been rock solid however with freesync only working on 10 series (and newer) cards and g-sync monitors carrying a hefty premium it made sense, IMO, to switch back to AMD with the free games, warranty, and cheaper display tech offset by what I can get for the old card making it cheaper all in than just the g-sync display.

Looking forward to having a play with UV/OC etc. in the coming days.

Soldato
What a god damn beautiful card it is! Just finished putting back my system, stupid cable management. Have taken it for a spin in Odyssey @ 5K and fffffffff does this game look SO good now!! Surprised even in 8K it was around 15-20 fps. Man, if I only I had space to CF (and it worked in AC...). Still have to tweak the OC, but running well enough so far, happy 1050 on Memory is holding, that's my main priority.

https://acd-ugc-pc-lnch.s3.amazonaws.com/photo/5c546d9fc1d8dba8984a9d37/fullscreen

Associate
I'm not sure where to post this but if anyone knows Vegas it's you guys and gals. So here goes.

Parts list: i5 6600k Powercolor, Vega 64 Ref Card, G Skill Ripjaw V DDR4-3000, EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Semi modular Atx

Id also like to note that with XMP and a 100% stable OC of CPU off and back to default still have issues.
https://************.com/mr/newegg/9FQRsY

I put a Vega 64 in there in place of my old R9 390. I pretty much had zero problems with the 390 but this is my THIRD Vega 64 and I have no clue what is going on. The AMD software will crash and need restarted. It will crash and basically cycle my screen to black screen then my monitor will cycle through all the inputs, find the Vega 64, then be ok but I have to reload my Wattman profile. Usually takes like 2 secs so not a big deal but annoying for a "top of the line" GPU. So the first one and the second that I had would freeze windows 10 when left idle, crash a few games, BSOD a few times etc etc. Third one has not BSOD, has not frozen windows, but still has some crashes (not as many) and the AMD software issues I mentioned above. I will say that Battlenet App when left on while PC is idle for a long time will freeze and go white screen when left idle but my profile in AMD goes back to default or crashes everytime this happens as well. Doesn't freeze windows though or BSOD. Like I said this is my third Vega 64 and I am BEYOND frustrated. Someone please help me.

I have reinstalled fresh windows 10 three times. I have tried the drivers many different ways. I have win 10 uninstalled them and reinstalled. I have rolled back. I have DDU exactly how they say to do it in safe mode without networking a few times. I have UV, OC, -25% power, +50% power. I have tried a whole bunch of Vega self UV guides and no matter what I do the AMD control panel software will crash from time to time. Newest BIOS on MOBO, Win 10 fully updated, Chipset drivers updated, etc. It is not thermal throttling except when left on default profile because that fan curve is a joke at best for these cards. My CPU is not overheating either nor is anything else according to HWmonitor as far as I can tell. I don't know what to do. It can't be another bad card... maybe my PSU? So please chime in if anyone can. I want to stay Red Team but this Vega 64 is making it hard... ( I have my reasons and am not here to debate Green vs Red and go green is NOT a fix for me right now. ) I mean the thing is a MONSTER when it works flawlessly.

Here are a few questions:

1) How does a PC react when a PSU is not enough power? I think maybe this is it but I don't want to buy a new PSU to find out. Any other way I can troubleshoot this?

2) Is the AMD driver software crashing their fault or is it my gpu's fault? Like I said I'm having way less problems with this 3rd card and do not want to keep sending them back because I'm starting to feel like I am the one missing something here and not the card itself.

3) Also anyone have experience with heaven valley? When I run HV in windowed mode and watch the monitoring in Wattman my GPU Mghz will drop like twice during the test from 1500 w/e it is to like 800. Why is this? Is this normal? How can I fix this? I thought I pretty much want a straight line the entire time for that test? Am I wrong? Again it's below 80c and supposedly throttles at 85c so that shouldn't be it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Your link does not work, but it seems unlikely to have three bad GPUs in a row.

It sounds like a local system hardware issue based on the limited information provided.

Heaven Valley is old, use a more recent game to conduct GPU testing.

Associate

It sounds like a local system hardware issue based on the limited information provided.

Yeah sorry I'm new to whole forum thread thing. I deleted it and posted some parts. I know HV is old but I don't know of a better one to run in windowed mode so i can monitor things. Do you know of a better one where maybe I can export the info to a link for someone to look at for me? I also have 3dmark on Steam. What exactly do you mean a local system hardware issue? Could you elaborate further please? And how can i find out what piece of hardware? Thanks for fast reply btw^^ And you said limited info provided. What all can I post that would help you or anyone who sees this to help me figure out what to do?

Sorry misread your post you said game. Well game wise I can run RE2 without any crashes so far although I haven't played long will def put this to the test the next 2 days because I'm off. I have had a weird small micro stutter I guess is what it's called but that may very well be the game itself? I haven't had the newest (3rd GPU long) and so far no games have crashed except Call Of Duty Blackout Mode but 1) It's crashed even on my 390 a few times 2) It wasn't fully downloaded when I tried it and the game crashed not Windows, No BSOD, and iirc not the drivers. Will put a few different games to the test over the next few days. Anything else I can try to get rid of this driver crash and the default profile loading itself again? I'm not a fan of Thermal Throttling and if this happens during a game or long game session I'd be throttling the whole time and might not catch it. I know AMD says it's fine and that's why they put the mechanic in place but these things get so hot I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't mind the fan noise I play with headphones.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm not sure where to post this but if anyone knows Vegas it's you guys and gals. So here goes.

Parts list: i5 6600k Powercolor, Vega 64 Ref Card, G Skill Ripjaw V DDR4-3000, EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Semi modular Atx

Id also like to note that with XMP and a 100% stable OC of CPU off and back to default still have issues.

I put a Vega 64 in there in place of my old R9 390. I pretty much had zero problems with the 390 but this is my THIRD Vega 64 and I have no clue what is going on. The AMD software will crash and need restarted. It will crash and basically cycle my screen to black screen then my monitor will cycle through all the inputs, find the Vega 64, then be ok but I have to reload my Wattman profile. Usually takes like 2 secs so not a big deal but annoying for a "top of the line" GPU. So the first one and the second that I had would freeze windows 10 when left idle, crash a few games, BSOD a few times etc etc. Third one has not BSOD, has not frozen windows, but still has some crashes (not as many) and the AMD software issues I mentioned above. I will say that Battlenet App when left on while PC is idle for a long time will freeze and go white screen when left idle but my profile in AMD goes back to default or crashes everytime this happens as well. Doesn't freeze windows though or BSOD. Like I said this is my third Vega 64 and I am BEYOND frustrated. Someone please help me.

I have reinstalled fresh windows 10 three times. I have tried the drivers many different ways. I have win 10 uninstalled them and reinstalled. I have rolled back. I have DDU exactly how they say to do it in safe mode without networking a few times. I have UV, OC, -25% power, +50% power. I have tried a whole bunch of Vega self UV guides and no matter what I do the AMD control panel software will crash from time to time. Newest BIOS on MOBO, Win 10 fully updated, Chipset drivers updated, etc. It is not thermal throttling except when left on default profile because that fan curve is a joke at best for these cards. My CPU is not overheating either nor is anything else according to HWmonitor as far as I can tell. I don't know what to do. It can't be another bad card... maybe my PSU? So please chime in if anyone can. I want to stay Red Team but this Vega 64 is making it hard... ( I have my reasons and am not here to debate Green vs Red and go green is NOT a fix for me right now. ) I mean the thing is a MONSTER when it works flawlessly.

1) How does a PC react when a PSU is not enough power? I think maybe this is it but I don't want to buy a new PSU to find out. Any other way I can troubleshoot this?

2) Is the AMD driver software crashing their fault or is it my gpu's fault? Like I said I'm having way less problems with this 3rd card and do not want to keep sending them back because I'm starting to feel like I am the one missing something here and not the card itself.

3) Also anyone have experience with heaven valley? When I run HV in windowed mode and watch the monitoring in Wattman my GPU Mghz will drop like twice during the test from 1500 w/e it is to like 800. Why is this? Is this normal? How can I fix this? I thought I pretty much want a straight line the entire time for that test? Am I wrong? Again it's below 80c and supposedly throttles at 85c so that shouldn't be it.
have you set your power options in windows to high ?

Associate
I’m currently installing my Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and there are two plugs for four pin fan connectors on the gpu. No cables came with the gpu to connect this to the motherboard fan headers. Strange for a ‘premium’ gpu.

Went to the local pc shop to buy some cables and they thought that the need for a female to female pwm fan cable was odd and that this is an unusual cable.

Will the gpu operate and the fans spin without the cables? Or is it to do with the rgb?

I just found it strange as my r9 390 which I have taken out doesn’t need these cables and it’s speed can be regulated by software.

Man of Honour
OP

Unigine Valley has always been bad from day one even when it was brand new for testing GPUs

Valley is terrible for testing modern GPUs and even worse running in a window, it bottlenecks the card hence you can see odd things with GPU clockspeeds.

Soldato
I’m currently installing my Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and there are two plugs for four pin fan connectors on the gpu. No cables came with the gpu to connect this to the motherboard fan headers. Strange for a ‘premium’ gpu.

Went to the local pc shop to buy some cables and they thought that the need for a female to female pwm fan cable was odd and that this is an unusual cable.

Will the gpu operate and the fans spin without the cables? Or is it to do with the rgb?

I just found it strange as my r9 390 which I have taken out doesn’t need these cables and it’s speed can be regulated by software.

The fan headers on the vega are so that it can control pwm fans so when it gets hot it can speed them up to help cool itself and has nothing to do with gpu fan regulation.

Associate
I have put countless hours into FM 2019 (more than i care to admit :D) and not seen one crash on my Vega GPU.

I have countless hours into FM18 and FM19 and never crashed once. This all started only recently.

Ive ran ddu and installed various drivers , changed pcie slots, ran memtest and no errors.

Only other option is fresh install of Windows but the thought of resetting everything up again is killing me.

Also just a thought, could a faulty pcie riser cable cause driver to crash and recover?

Soldato

How is your power configured for the Vega card? are you using 1 cable with 2 PCIe plugs or 2 cables?

Soldato
This all started only recently.

I've had similar issues recently, games that have run OK for years now cause my PC to hard lock and reboot, I thought it was just me but you're post makes me think it might not be.

I've re-installed Win10 from scratch and re-downloaded all my games from steam, I've set everything back to stock but I'm still getting crashing. I've lost count of the things I've tried and the hours I've spent! :(

I don't think it's hardware related, nothing has changed on that front.

I have my suspicions about the latest version of Win10 (1809) but there isn't anything I can put my finger on.

I suppose it could be Adrenalin driver related, DOOM was a game that was absolutely rock solid and would never crash and gave great performance but now more often than not it crashed and causes a reboot

Back
Top Bottom