*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Just remembered this thread, and having read through the entire thing I thought I'd jump in. There are a couple of guys in here who I've seen in the last few years (Skidder and Avenged7Fold (sorry to hear about the mrs)). I've dropped a lot of weight since you last saw me, though I think it's been a long time. I would have been maybe 106 kg and I'm now sitting at 85 kg, working my way down ideally to 80 kg by March. I had been eating 1500 cal for the first 2-3 weeks of January and went from 89 kg down to my current weight, but this week I've brought it up to 1850 cal because it was a bit soul destroying.

I've been going to the gym probably 5-6 days a week recently follow Jason Blaha's Ice Cream 5x5, which is similar to Stronglifts but he's actually prescriptive about the ancillary lifts. He's not very highly liked but I think his program is solid. He has changed it a little and not updated the website and I made some changes to suit me. I also had a herniated disk last year so I'm taking anything back-intensive a little more slowly.

Sp, my workout currently look something like:

Workout A
Squats 5x5 @ 72.5 kg (working my way back up to previous numbers as I know I can hit more than this)
Bench Press 5x5 @ 50 kg
Bent Over Row 5x5 @ 40 kg
Hammer Curl 3x10 @ 12 kg each (barbell curls felt like they were damaging my forearms)
Cable Pull Through 3x10 @ 12.5 kg
Cable Crunch 2x10 @ 30 kg
Iso-lateral Row 3x10 @ 40 kg
Lat Pulldown 3x10 @ 40 kg

Workout B
Squats 5x5 @ 72.5 kg (working my way back up to previous numbers as I know I can hit more than this)
Overhead Press 5x8 @ 24kg
Deadlift 1x5 @ 70 kg (often dropping this ask I'm risking screwing my back up. Thinking about switching to Romanian Deadlift instead)
Bent Over Row 5x5 @ 35 kg
Bench Press (close grip) 3x10 @ 45 kg
Hammer Curl 3x10 @ 12 kg each (barbell curls felt like they were damaging my forearms)

I'm adding weight to almost all these exercises every single time.

I've often been going on consecutive days too, which I know isn't great but I feel good. I've really got to get my deadlift form sorted so I think I'll speak to someone in the gym and ask them to help me.

I appreciate all the tips in this thread. It's given me a lot to think about.

Man of Honour
Hey dirtyc - glad you're doing well! (if you ever want a reunion drink come out with the team, few more added but nobody gone)

I'm prob a bit heavier than last you saw me, a little more gut and a little more muscle! Around 86kg now. Having said that 10 years ago I was well over 100kg with no strength at all!

Soldato
Hey dirtyc - glad you're doing well! (if you ever want a reunion drink come out with the team, few more added but nobody gone)

I'm prob a bit heavier than last you saw me, a little more gut and a little more muscle! Around 86kg now. Having said that 10 years ago I was well over 100kg with no strength at all!

I’d love to catch up. I think we both missed the Christmas meet in the end. Let me know when you’re all going for a drink!

Hah I did see you briefly at those botanical gardens before Christmas some time, can’t remember the name for the life of me!! Glad to hear you’re in good health though.

Man of Honour
Have finally stopped progressing with OHP. Going to try 5x5 on it unless someone has a better approach? (I am sure a few have been posted, just can’t find them!).

Edit: this is what I was after!

I can vouch for this, I've always found volume for shoulders has helped my overall strength. I used to do 5x5 or similar for my working set and then drop it by 10kg or so and do quite a few sets of 10.. or if I failed my working set, id make them punishment sets and do a lot more volume haha.

Last edited:
Associate
Do any of you wear squat shoes and if so, which ones?

Also looking at fitness trackers but they seem a bit limited where weight lifting is concerned.

I currently just use a pair of trainers for everything and can't decide if I need squat shoes or not. I would like to be able to try some but that is impossible it would seem.

Man of Honour

Also looking at fitness trackers but they seem a bit limited where weight lifting is concerned.

I currently just use a pair of trainers for everything and can't decide if I need squat shoes or not. I would like to be able to try some but that is impossible it would seem.

They are a lot more common now, but it also depends on how much you squat. If you have money to burn or do a lot of squatting (3*week or more), then they are worth it (assuming you squat well).

But anything flat and solid will do: a lot of old school athletes in the 50s/60s used formal shoes because of the solid heel... so try that for an example. :)

I also wouldn't bother with fitness trackers for lifting because they will be so inaccurate as to be less than pointless...

Associate
I'm currently on the stronglifts thingy..
41, 103kgs @ 6'2"
I'm kinda skinny but holding a bit of fat round the midrif.
I reckon I need to be around 90kgs.
Been going the gym 3 times per week but had a few weeks off here and there due to joint issues and motivation issues.

Currently:
Squat 85kg
Dead 85kg
Ohp 47.5kg
Bench 75kg
Row 60kg
I got my squat to 90kgs and my dead to 100kgs a while ago but I got aches and pains in the lower back and hips, and decided to ditch the squats and the deadlift for a while and just concentrate on dumbbell type stuff.
I'm not too bothered about numbers and focus more on getting the technique right. Once ive mastered that, the numbers will come.

Been going for about 12 months now and only decided to workout as my job for the last 15 years involves sitting at a desk all day.

Man of Honour
I'm currently on the stronglifts thingy..
41, 103kgs @ 6'2"
I'm kinda skinny but holding a bit of fat round the midrif.
I reckon I need to be around 90kgs.
Been going the gym 3 times per week but had a few weeks off here and there due to joint issues and motivation issues.

Currently:
Squat 85kg
Dead 85kg
Ohp 47.5kg
Bench 75kg
Row 60kg
I got my squat to 90kgs and my dead to 100kgs a while ago but I got aches and pains in the lower back and hips, and decided to ditch the squats and the deadlift for a while and just concentrate on dumbbell type stuff.
I'm not too bothered about numbers and focus more on getting the technique right. Once ive mastered that, the numbers will come.

Been going for about 12 months now and only decided to workout as my job for the last 15 years involves sitting at a desk all day.

Personally I would ditch the dumbbells and focus on proper deadlift and squat form and build those up.

Associate
Personally I would ditch the dumbbells and focus on proper deadlift and squat form and build those up.
Yeah, I am back on the stronglifts again.
Trying to build the squat up to a respectable number. Goal for now is to get squat to 120kgs but I'm not going to sacrifice technique for bigger numbers.

Soldato

I have a pair of Inov8 lifting shoes. Seem pretty good to me though I dont have a lot to compare them too.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I am back on the stronglifts again.
Trying to build the squat up to a respectable number. Goal for now is to get squat to 120kgs but I'm not going to sacrifice technique for bigger numbers.

I think I probably am doing just that. I got through my squat today at 132.5kg but pretty sure I was not breaking parallel. Think I may deload a little and make sure I'm getting the full range.

I feel absolutely ruined though.

Soldato
Yeah I feel like I can squat more than 100kg but hips been aching for last few weeks so just sticking to that while I sort them out.

Associate
One of the few areas of my body I never had problems with heh.
Lucky you.
I broke my leg just below the hip joint about 25 years ago and get a little bit of stiffness occasionally. I also broke my arm just below the shoulder joint a couple of years prior to that and get a bit if grief from that too.

Soldato
Just remembered this thread, and having read through the entire thing I thought I'd jump in. There are a couple of guys in here who I've seen in the last few years (Skidder and Avenged7Fold (sorry to hear about the mrs)). I've dropped a lot of weight since you last saw me, though I think it's been a long time. I would have been maybe 106 kg and I'm now sitting at 85 kg, working my way down ideally to 80 kg by March. I had been eating 1500 cal for the first 2-3 weeks of January and went from 89 kg down to my current weight, but this week I've brought it up to 1850 cal because it was a bit soul destroying.

I've been going to the gym probably 5-6 days a week recently follow Jason Blaha's Ice Cream 5x5, which is similar to Stronglifts but he's actually prescriptive about the ancillary lifts. He's not very highly liked but I think his program is solid. He has changed it a little and not updated the website and I made some changes to suit me. I also had a herniated disk last year so I'm taking anything back-intensive a little more slowly.

Sp, my workout currently look something like:

Workout A
Bench Press 5x5 @ 50 kg
Bent Over Row 5x5 @ 40 kg
Cable Pull Through 3x10 @ 12.5 kg
Cable Crunch 2x10 @ 30 kg

Workout B
Overhead Press 5x8 @ 24kg
Deadlift 1x5 @ 70 kg (often dropping this ask I'm risking screwing my back up. Thinking about switching to Romanian Deadlift instead)
Bent Over Row 5x5 @ 35 kg
Bench Press (close grip) 3x10 @ 45 kg

I'm adding weight to almost all these exercises every single time.

I've often been going on consecutive days too, which I know isn't great but I feel good. I've really got to get my deadlift form sorted so I think I'll speak to someone in the gym and ask them to help me.

I appreciate all the tips in this thread. It's given me a lot to think about.

5-6 days a week of doing this is to much in terms of the progression curve of the program and the purpose of it and recovery time etc. Also while I am an advocate of adding in assistance exercises to Stronglifts (this was part of the original strong lifts information anyway) it should be limited to 3 assistance per day really.

With regards to deadlifting yes form is very crucial to get on point. Can you record a set or two and post it up for feedback? Plenty of knowledge on here to help. Also with deadlifts 1x5 working sets isn't enough, this is pretty much the most common point with Stronglifts as an error, do 3x5 working sets.

Back to 5-6 times training per week, you really would be suited to using the off days for light cardio work, mobility, stretching, rather then always lifting, especially as the Stronglifts program is a full body routine.

Back
Top Bottom