Cheapest PC upgrade.

Associate
My GPU, CPU, RAM and motherboard are all on their way out and quite old. The only games i really play are fortnite & csgo atm, however id like to dabble in Division when it comes out.

My current specs are:

i5 4440
2x4gb ram
radeon r380 2gb
550w PSU
1tb hd
240gb SSD
old motherboard

I could probably still use the psu HD SSD, just wanna know if someone can help me find a bundle or a budget deal for the rest to upgrade for around £450-500. Thanks

Soldato
Well, shopping around you can find:

Ryzen 2600 - £147
MSI B450A-PRO - £80
3200MHz DDR4 2x8GB (16GB) - £120

And that leaves £150 for a GPU. New, that'll get you an RX 570 4GB. It's an upgrade, just not as much of an upgrade, and I'd spend £30 extra on an RX 580 8GB. Or persist with the 380 a little longer, save up a wee bit more for something that will really leave the 380 in the dust. Maybe an Nvidia 1160 (or whatever they'll be called) that will come out next few weeks, or an AMD Navi card that may arrive in summer. These will be even better than RX 580. They could be around £250-300, hopefully.

Another GPU option is a used GTX 1070 for £200~. If it's EVGA and has warranty left, it will transfer and you can register it.

Is your case ATX?

Soldato
is that budget with or without the sale of the parts? if its without then sell them and top up your budget.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £642.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

no 2600 models in stock, but being a b450 board you wont need to worry about bios updates and the vega 56 is technically much better than the 1070 while being a few quid cheaper and bundled with some free items, but thats topping up your budget from the sale of old parts.

Associate
OP
Well, shopping around you can find:

Ryzen 2600 - £147
MSI B450A-PRO - £80
3200MHz DDR4 2x8GB (16GB) - £120

And that leaves £150 for a GPU. New, that'll get you an RX 570 4GB. It's an upgrade, just not as much of an upgrade, and I'd spend £30 extra on an RX 580 8GB. Or persist with the 380 a little longer, save up a wee bit more for something that will really leave the 380 in the dust. Maybe an Nvidia 1160 (or whatever they'll be called) that will come out next few weeks, or an AMD Navi card that may arrive in summer. These will be even better than RX 580. They could be around £250-300, hopefully.

Another GPU option is a used GTX 1070 for £200~. If it's EVGA and has warranty left, it will transfer and you can register it.

Is your case ATX?

Thank you!, i can get a 8gb 570 for 150, is it actually not that much of an upgrade?

I think ill end up getting the Ryzen 2600 as a lot of people ive spoke with have recommended it

also yes i think it is, its a red Bitfenix one.

Associate
OP
is that budget with or without the sale of the parts? if its without then sell them and top up your budget.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £642.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

no 2600 models in stock, but being a b450 board you wont need to worry about bios updates and the vega 56 is technically much better than the 1070 while being a few quid cheaper and bundled with some free items, but thats topping up your budget from the sale of old parts.

Thanks, is there much difference between the 2 CPUs? assuming six cores better than quad?
Also, is there certain sites ect to sell parts? or just ebay and them sorts?

Soldato
Thanks, is there much difference between the 2 CPUs? assuming six cores better than quad?
Also, is there certain sites ect to sell parts? or just ebay and them sorts?

the 1600x + 2600 are both 6 cores, the 2600 is basically an improvement and 2nd gen, there just isnt the stock of the latter to bother posting as they around the same price, but my 2600 came from the zon for same price, so there will always be them elsewhere if no stock here. 6 cores is better than quads, but depending on what you do/play as 4 cores are still plenty more so if you get an 8 thread version.

Associate
OP
the 1600x + 2600 are both 6 cores, the 2600 is basically an improvement and 2nd gen, there just isnt the stock of the latter to bother posting as they around the same price, but my 2600 came from the zon for same price, so there will always be them elsewhere if no stock here. 6 cores is better than quads, but depending on what you do/play as 4 cores are still plenty more so if you get an 8 thread version.

Yeah i can get the 2600 for 145
i can get a r580 8gb for 150
and 16gb ram for 100.

Would any AMD motherboard do?

Soldato
Short answer is yes, any AM4 motherboard will do.

Longer answer is if you go for one designed to handle 8 core CPUs, with better VRMs, they don't cost all that much more, and will presumably last longer plus allow CPU upgrade. Check the following list and if you can find one of the midrange boards for a good price then that's the one to go for: https://i.redd.it/xda4pmf92pw11.png

Also check that it has the features you need, like enough USB etc.

Also bear in mind that Ryzen benefits more from faster RAM than Intel, so 3200 is preferable to 3000.

Associate
OP

Longer answer is if you go for one designed to handle 8 core CPUs, with better VRMs, they don't cost all that much more, and will presumably last longer plus allow CPU upgrade. Check the following list and if you can find one of the midrange boards for a good price then that's the one to go for: https://i.redd.it/xda4pmf92pw11.png

Also bear in mind that Ryzen benefits more from faster RAM than Intel, so 3200 is preferable to 3000.

Ahh i see, thanks brother appreciate it!!

Associate
OP

Would you say a Asus ROG STRIX B450F MB & 2600 for £260 is good? Or should i go cheaper MB?

Caporegime
id just get a new gpu 570 or 580 for now and then upgrade mobo cpu ram in summer. makes no sense to upgrade the rest till summer as new amd stuff out . also your cpu with a 570 or 580 will be fine with the division. you even get it free with those cards. so its win win.

Soldato
well im 2 days in with my 2600 and itx Aorus motherboard and no issues to report, i did pay pay a tad over £260, but then itx boards cost more, basically the point is from my experience of this mobo, id say the m-atx version be a good one and an alternative, its about £85-90.

i think if you went just the gpu route as Dg suggests then given your budget id get the vega 56 at £299.99, its miles better than the 570/580 and it comes with the same free games, then upgrade the rest later on. mean im happy with my 570 when i get to use it, but if id had the money id have gone vega or 1060.

Associate
OP
well im 2 days in with my 2600 and itx Aorus motherboard and no issues to report, i did pay pay a tad over £260, but then itx boards cost more, basically the point is from my experience of this mobo, id say the m-atx version be a good one and an alternative, its about £85-90.

i think if you went just the gpu route as Dg suggests then given your budget id get the vega 56 at £299.99, its miles better than the 570/580 and it comes with the same free games, then upgrade the rest later on. mean im happy with my 570 when i get to use it, but if id had the money id have gone vega or 1060.

Someone said new cards will come out in the summer would you recommend waiting a while before jumping the gun?

Soldato
Someone said new cards will come out in the summer would you recommend waiting a while before jumping the gun?

well it would depend how patient you are and whether youd want to take the gamble, given the vega 56 is better than the 1070 and only the 56 & 64 are the top end amd cards it would be silly to pass up any sales on them, you could always sell it when the new cards come out if you find they to be better once any new card issues are ironed out otherwise you will have a cracking card for your gaming etc needs.

your 4th gen i5 will hold it back mind, but then as i said, if you sell your parts you could buy what i mocked up above apart from getting the 2600 now its in stock more so if your a one time builder unlike most of use who cycle through various parts/builds lol.

Associate
OP
well it would depend how patient you are and whether youd want to take the gamble, given the vega 56 is better than the 1070 and only the 56 & 64 are the top end amd cards it would be silly to pass up any sales on them, you could always sell it when the new cards come out if you find they to be better once any new card issues are ironed out otherwise you will have a cracking card for your gaming etc needs.

your 4th gen i5 will hold it back mind, but then as i said, if you sell your parts you could buy what i mocked up above apart from getting the 2600 now its in stock more so if your a one time builder unlike most of use who cycle through various parts/builds lol.

Yeah i normally have the same system for like 3 or 4 years or until a problem occurs lol. If i do go for the vega and processor i would have to buy a motherboard too?

Associate
OP
Also not sure if im allowed to post this but can anyone tell me roughly what i could resell my old parts for? baring in mind theyre 4yrs old.

i5 4460
radeon r380 2gb
2x4gb ram ddr3

thanks.

Soldato
Also not sure if im allowed to post this but can anyone tell me roughly what i could resell my old parts for? baring in mind theyre 4yrs old.

i5 4460
radeon r380 2gb
2x4gb ram ddr3

thanks.

there is a price check section, but think its in the members market, could give a rough idea now, but its against the rules, best to have a look around at what people are selling for comparison.

as for the other question, if you got a ryzen you will need an am4 board, so yeah a new board be required, but a b450/x470 in your case as they support ryzen 2000 range out the box as they are intended for.

Associate
OP
there is a price check section, but think its in the members market, could give a rough idea now, but its against the rules, best to have a look around at what people are selling for comparison.

as for the other question, if you got a ryzen you will need an am4 board, so yeah a new board be required, but a b450/x470 in your case as they support ryzen 2000 range out the box as they are intended for.

Ahh ok, sorry and thanks!

Back
Top Bottom