3d printing Show us your Prints.

Man of Honour
Mine worked fine fine off the bat though if you google around there are recommended upgrades to buy fairly cheap such as a new bowden tube(recommended, i bought just cheap ptfe tube off ebay and it was an improvement) and a lot of usefull extras you can print off for it. If you want to print over usb download repetier host and if you want to print from sd cardss(best method) download a slicer like CURA).

Thanks for the recommendation. I took the plunge with the ender 3 and very happy. So far have printed about 50% of OpenRC F1, couple of models for the kids, some key rings and stuff. Great bit of kit.

Soldato
Very nice work.

Have they made 3D printers yet that can print without the "layered" look? I know it is laid down in layers so hard to avoid but would sanding finely down or applying heat even out the finish?

Man of Honour
Very nice work.

Have they made 3D printers yet that can print without the "layered" look? I know it is laid down in layers so hard to avoid but would sanding finely down or applying heat even out the finish?

Depends on the filament a bit - some the layers are very obvious others less so - I have some fake marble stuff (I think it is PETG but not 100% on that) where the layers are almost invisible. You can use various processes to smooth it up a common one IIRC uses an acetone vapour bath but very easy to overdo and spoil the print if you aren't careful.

On some prints I lightly sand and use a primer and a couple of other finishes to smooth it out.

Also how fine you print will make a difference - some of the pictures above look like they've been done at 0.15-0.2mm - 0.06-0.1mm will help to minimise the striations - but takes a lot of time and more filament and especially on bigger models.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on the filament a bit - some the layers are very obvious others less so - I have some fake marble stuff (I think it is PETG but not 100% on that) where the layers are almost invisible. You can use various processes to smooth it up a common one IIRC uses an acetone vapour bath but very easy to overdo and spoil the print if you aren't careful.

On some prints I lightly sand and use a primer and a couple of other finishes to smooth it out.

Also how fine you print will make a difference - some of the pictures above look like they've been done at 0.15-0.2mm - 0.06-0.1mm will help to minimise the striations - but takes a lot of time and more filament and especially on bigger models.

Very interesting, thanks for the reply.

I'm sure it won't be long until you can't even tell that it has been 3D printed.

Soldato
Another Pangolin. This time it's for my mum as she loves the ones I already have.

Made using Amazon's glow in the dark PLA as it was all I had left :D Came out rather well.

9ZY5k1p.jpg

Man of Honour
I did my daughter a glow in the dark cutesy rabbit which she has in her room, she loves it and it glows pretty well to be fair.

Soldato
Not many pics of the printers themselves!
I got my Ender 3 at Christmas, the wife complained about the noise so I made an enclosure using Ikea Lack tables. Keeps her happy!
A handful of add-ons and upgrades, tubing and fixings, bed and springs, relocated PSU, control panel and SD reader. Next mod is to relocate and upgrade the motherboard and maybe install the levelling tool. Wifi camera is in there so I can monitor prints.
SsJlvG0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom