The Grand Tour

Soldato
Guess i'm one of the first to watch it again ;)
It's all been done before, every bit of it is just rehashed material from old top gear, namely, the last ever episode with the three where they had to go off road to that conservation meeting, still, a couple of funny one liners, eg 'let's not get bogged down with it' :D. I'm not going to complain about it being scripted though, i just enjoy it for what it is!

Man of Honour
Guess i'm one of the first to watch it again ;)
It's all been done before, every bit of it is just rehashed material from old top gear, namely, the last ever episode with the three where they had to go off road to that conservation meeting, still, a couple of funny one liners, eg 'let's not get bogged down with it' :D. I'm not going to complain about it being scripted though, i just enjoy it for what it is!

I wasn't particularly impressed by it a few funny bits but a lot was lacking really there was so much more they could have done with pickups.

gEd

gEd

Associate
I laughed (quite a bit) at the hosepipe bit at the start and a couple of other times during the off-road sequence but that was it. felt like i'd seen it all before.
Project 8 was great.

Caporegime
A lot better than the special in some ways. The jokes were actually funny (mostly), whereas the special was just trying to hard in many points.

Sure, they could have done some more interesting stuff with the pickups, but it’s not really their style (for better or worse).

Have to say I really liked the perspective joke with Hammonds statue.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
XE Project 8 is pretty stunning, looks so good with those new front and rear ends, especially the rear cut in the arches showing some tyre.

Man of Honour
That Merc/Nissan with the bendy body, not good :p

After the issues with the Navara literally bending in half I'm not surprised.

That is the problem with the Nissan pickups really :( so close to nailing it but so far - cheaping out here and there for no real good reason if they'd made just a little more effort and spent just a little more they'd have knocked it out the park - if I was to keep one I'd probably go for the Amarok though the Wildtrak is a pretty solid offering.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

We have that same model Ford Ranger as the site truck. It’s a great workhorse, but more shocking was the Amarocks lack of low range :confused:

Worst episode of the season and I’d go so far as to say the worst since some of the stinkers in season 1. The fake explosions and gun shooting was a bit too much nonsense for me :(

Much preferred them giving it the beans over the hills in the cross country race to the helicopter than any of the other stupidity. Shame.

Man of Honour
We have that same model Ford Ranger as the site truck. It’s a great workhorse, but more shocking was the Amarocks lack of low range :confused:

Worst episode of the season and I’d go so far as to say the worst since some of the stinkers in season 1. The fake explosions and gun shooting was a bit too much nonsense for me :(

Much preferred them giving it the beans over the hills in the cross country race to the helicopter than any of the other stupidity. Shame.

Amarok lack of low range isn't really an issue except in edge cases and nowhere near as much a problem as they make out - it would easily go up that grass slope in reality.

Caporegime
Amarok lack of low range isn't really an issue except in edge cases and nowhere near as much a problem as they make out - it would easily go up that grass slope in reality.

Really depends what you want to use it for. If it’s just for roads then fine, but if you’re using it off road for any real length of time (and other duties) then low range is a real help.

The other thing to consider is, if no low range, what else have they compromised based on the assumption that the average Amarok driver doesn’t need low range (I.e perhaps they’re assuming most want a road vehicle, not a capable/durable off roader).

Agreed with the grass though, that’s probably a tyre issue rather than anything else, but again, that leads back to point 1. Road tyres on a pickup tally with the lack of low range. A vehicle designed for light off road usage only,. Compare that to the other two.

Man of Honour
Really depends what you want to use it for. If it’s just for roads then fine, but if you’re using it off road for any real length of time (and other duties) then low range is a real help.

The other thing to consider is, if no low range, what else have they compromised based on the assumption that the average Amarok driver doesn’t need low range (I.e perhaps they’re assuming most want a road vehicle, not a capable/durable off roader).

Agreed with the grass though, that’s probably a tyre issue rather than anything else, but again, that leads back to point 1. Road tyres on a pickup tally with the lack of low range. A vehicle designed for light off road usage only,. Compare that to the other two.

I'm certainly no expert but I've put some fairly serious time into pickups lately and currently have had a Nissan Navara (used V6 Outlaw) for a few weeks though so far the Amarok is my favourite and it seems in most cases to make up in sophistication of its implementation where it lacks in conventional low range - in my limited experience and from looking at videos online it certainly shouldn't have struggled in that scenario.

Still have very mixed feelings over owning one long term.

Soldato
I see people moaning about it being to much of the old top gear.
Can't win, people moaned the changes in the first season sucked. So if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I prefer this season to the first 2. Its much of the same stuff I enjoyed before Clarkson threw a wobbly. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Project 8 was great (how much?!?)

But very much boring after that, can’t see me sticking this series out at this rate!

Says a lot that I get round to watching as & when I can be bothered rather than looking forward to it.

When’s the next Top Gear season start?

Soldato
Project 8 was great (how much?!?)

But very much boring after that, can’t see me sticking this series out at this rate!

Says a lot that I get round to watching as & when I can be bothered rather than looking forward to it.

When’s the next Top Gear season start?
Sunday the 17th of Feb. :)

Back
Top Bottom