Dashcams!

Caporegime
Is there a huge difference between a £20 cam and say a £199 cam, I need a cam for some footage but otherwise don't generally need one, I need around an hours of footage, the better quality the better ideally, but I don't want to spend much on it, so how would you rate a £20 cam?

An iPhone would probably better?

Angle of view, resolution, GPS, loop, wifi, vibration, motion detect, low light (seeing in the dark).

Mine have an SD card in, enough for 4 hours of footage before it loops round, it records in 2 min files. If i have an accident then I don't need 3 hours of driving and slice up the footage, i just grab that 2 min.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So looking around I'd like something like the following: Mini 0906, DDPai Mini3 or Thinkware F200.

Parking guard, decent night performance and small form factor are the main things, I don't want something that looks like a digital camera strapped to my rear view mirror, and a rear cam would be a bonus.

Out of the three above I'm liking the Mini 0906. Anything else i should be considering?

Soldato
Underboss
Have you read the capabilitities in that? It isn’t a dash cam, it’s an insurance black box on steroids and then some.

Can’t help but think every time it gives you a ‘driver assistance warning’ your insurance company will add £5 to your premium.

i read it up to where it started to talk about insurance, finding you this, doing that etc etc, and i thought "its not a dashcam then its a PA" lol

Soldato
Is there a huge difference between a £20 cam and say a £199 cam, I need a cam for some footage but otherwise don't generally need one, I need around an hours of footage, the better quality the better ideally, but I don't want to spend much on it, so how would you rate a £20 cam?

I bought a couple of Yi Mini Dashcams recently for my car and the wifes commuter car. I wanted something with decent 1080p footage, motion detect, reasonably good night time capability and discreet size wise but above all I didn't want to spend a fortune. It has wifi for viewing video clips but I find that a bit of a gimmicky extra. They were so good (in my opinion, as a basic dashcam) that I ordered another two to fit as rear facing units in our cars.

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-mini-dash-cam

The rainforest place have these on special discount offer fairly regularly if you keep your eye out for them. At their regular price of £39.99 I'd still say they were good value but the discounted price is £22.99 inc. :cool:

Associate
Anyone got experience with the Halfords installation they offer? I'm after a dashcam and want it to run off the fuse box as I don't want to have something plugged in to my cigarette lighter 24/7.

Got a budget of £150 for both the dashcam and fitting charge.

Soldato

Why not just borrow a GoPro or something?

Associate
Anyone got experience with the Halfords installation they offer? I'm after a dashcam and want it to run off the fuse box as I don't want to have something plugged in to my cigarette lighter 24/7.

I got a nextbase 512 from them before Christmas and planned to fit it myself.
They supplied and fitted a hardwire kit cheaper than you can buy the kit for. Went and had breakfast while it was fitted.

They did a decent job to be fair.

Man of Honour
Have you read the capabilitities in that? It isn’t a dash cam, it’s an insurance black box on steroids and then some.

Can’t help but think every time it gives you a ‘driver assistance warning’ your insurance company will add £5 to your premium.

The logical conclusion of the rush for dashcams.

Soldato
See so many dashcams on windscreens on the road now, it's not just everyday cars either. A flipping brand new Panamera GTS had one the other night and he came alongside me with a fair speed and stopped at a set of lights.

He then launched it at green.

The worst part is that his camera was in the middle of the windscreen, just like the majority I see. I thought placing phone holders/cameras etc in such places on the windscreen was an offence?
Mine is tucked behind my rear mirror and i cant see any part of it and does not obstruct my view one bit,some people like to see them but i don't.

Soldato
Got to admit they do come in handy these dashcams.....i was going down the A12 last week and i caught a BMW with its indicators on....saved that footage :)

Soldato

I installed mine myself, also run off the fusebox. It’s a good way of not interfering with the cars systems.

Back
Top Bottom