Bioware's Anthem

Associate
The game looks lovely and runs well like most have said. The only thing in the world is enemies which i get but was hoping for more moving things!

Flying under water with a mouse and keyboard just made this game poop for me...i was having fun right up to this point when the controls went all funny.

Man of Honour
Put in a good few hours, the game is ok. Not good, not bad, just ok. Controls are absolutely terrible on M+K. World isnt as large and awe inspiring as I thought it might be from the early footage. Customisation of the javelins is good. Its so-so. Got to say, in the looter shooter genre, Division 2 knocks Anthem out of the park for me.

Soldato
Got in played ok. The controls for mouse and keyboard are quite nasty (under water impossible). This must be fixed else it ruins what could be a good and very pretty game.

Soldato
I also thought it was meh and was quite excited about it. Destiny 2 feels much better and the Division completely destroys it. I think it will hit bargain bin pricing quickly especially with Division 2 releasing right after. I have no sympathy for EA but I'm a bit sad about bioware.

Soldato
I have no sympathy for EA but I'm a bit sad about bioware.

Yep, EA being EA, completely killed what was a fantastic game developer. Dragon Age Origins and the early Mass Effect where incredible RPG games which received so much love which showed in the games. Then EA came along, killed off both games and took the studio with it. Now they just regurgitate the same old puke filled crap each year. Would love for them to go bankrupt, worst company in gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
Jumped back in to try the other javalins. They have done a great job on the customisation and abilities of each javalin and the storm and ranger are by far my favorites.

But everything else just seems so shallow, like a checkbox exercise. They've taken good things from other games without understanding why it worked, and generally only implemented 80% of it. The lack of social hub, a stats screen, text chat, the poor m&k controls and menus, the weird 4 player freeroam, the forgettable or unidentifiable trash mobs, the very pretty but relatively samey environment.

Definitely a bit sad for Bioware too!

Soldato
To be fair though. It isn't a bad game just not worth it's price tag. I reckon if it came in at 19.99-24.99 I'd buy and have a very nice time with it.

I did enjoy the time on it last night a great colour pallette and cool iron man flying, the graphics really are good and it runs superbly at ultra at 4k

I'll definitely pick it up but not at current pricing

Soldato
I've been thinking it but not said it until now but I'm learning towards the agreement that Destiny 2 feels and plays a lot better, but the game play is more involving in Anthem with much shorter cooldowns for abilities, more abilities and more variety in abilities and combo attacks too.

I quit The Division a few days after getting max level, I didn't go back to play the first free expansion and I even bought the season pass when it was on sale and didn't play the DLC or even the game after buying it. I liked it and enjoyed the campaign but it just fell on it's face at end game and the character ability pales in comparison to Destiny 2 and Anthem.

Qel

Qel

Associate
Feels very much like a wait and see if it isn't utterly terrible (and how bad the cash shop is) - and even then wait for a sale to me.

I feel like I should like it given I've enjoyed (most) of Bioware's past titles and generally enjoyed Warframe/Destiny but outside of a few things it just feels so generic and on PC especially the interface, controls, menu's just scream that the PC experience is a complete afterthought. Those concerns, plus EA, mean I just can't see myself buying it until it's on sale, if at all which is a shame because I certainly went into it wanting to like it but even when I'm enjoying it things just feel off somehow.

Associate
Anthem is driving me nuts.

Sometimes when playing the demo, im super hyped and really get into it. But other times i get this sinking feeling that they should have kept it in development for another year.

Concept is brilliant. The gameplay (when works) is fantastic fun and the customisation, gear and cosmetics are great.

I have a horrible feeling this is going to fall into the "should have been great but" catagory.

I'm not having any problems with temps my end but i am a little overkill on cooling :)

Soldato
I have no sympathy for EA but I'm a bit sad about bioware.

The Studio that was Bioware died long ago when they sold their souls to EA. What is left today is little more than a husk devoid of most, if not all, of the talent that made them great.

The same has happened to DICE a I can see Blizzard starting down the same path too (despite them being not owned by EA, but Activision is little better)

Caporegime
There's definitely something going on with my setup reading the things people are saying in here about it running great. Frostbite games just don't seem to work properly for me. Anthem feels sluggish and the frame rate is all over the shop and it was the same with Mass Effect Andromeda. There was a guy on Twitch I was watching with a 1070 and he was only getting mid-30s with High settings.

Soldato
There's definitely something going on with my setup reading the things people are saying in here about it running great. Frostbite games just don't seem to work properly for me. Anthem feels sluggish and the frame rate is all over the shop and it was the same with Mass Effect Andromeda. There was a guy on Twitch I was watching with a 1070 and he was only getting mid-30s with High settings.
Performance of Anthem demo is bad compared to frostbite games such as the battlefield and battlefront series. Never played mass effect andromeda so cant tell you anything about that. Don't trust anecdotal evidence such as people saying " Oh Anthem is running so smooth on my gtx 950".

Caporegime
Don't trust anecdotal evidence such as people saying " Oh Anthem is running so smooth and my gtx 950"

Hehhee, love it.

Anyroad, Digital Foundry corroborates my experience. They reckon the graphical settings aren't doing what they should as there is not much difference in FPS going from Ultra to Medium.

Back
Top Bottom