Veganuary?

Caporegime
You've read the whole thread and yet understood nothing in it.

Yes everything we do has a cost to the environment. Even the most die hard green vegan crusader would accept that.

The point is that at the moment we consume far far more than is sustainable for the planet. If everyone just ate and consumed less it would help to avoid us killing the planet completely. Which of those things you reduce does matter, eg eating less steak will be more beneficial than eating less apples.

But no one is saying don't do anything ever. They are simply saying do some things less thank you do currently and everyone will be better off.
Also the amount we waste is ridiculous. Something like 30% of all food entering the food chain is ultimately wasted.

But yeah we eat way too much meat. We would all benefit massively from cutting down (quite drastically). Including myself.

Soldato
sure, bottom line is that i have lost strength, muscle mass and aged quickly..
i don't look or feel better for it to be frank, and long term it's just not happening!

Fair enough. Thanks for the honest reply, you don't often hear that side of it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I simply don't like enough different kinds of foods to become whatever-arian. I dunno if I envy or loate people who just decide 'I'm only going to eat fish' or whatever. I'd imagine a pescetarian's house is stinking tho!
There's some kind of weird compulsion that humans suffer from that makes them want to put themselves in a box. "I'm a vegan" is just one example.

I think in many people that it's not just done for the perceived benefits. I think it feeds in to this sense of self-identity, which people seem to need to crystallise by putting themselves in said boxes.

So instead of making some sensible adjustments, people go all-in and adopt these new fads so they can be part of some group.

It's terrifying!

Caporegime
it's kind of ironic that after 4yrs of being vegan it's the month of veganuary i will no long be vegan, i'm done with it ..

I'm not too fussed about the vegan thing myself tbh... I think we do need to drastically cut our meat consumption though. Just minimising the amount of meat you eat can achieve the same benefits.

I guess some days I have eaten a completely vegan set of meals, most days though will either be vegetarian or will involve some fish. When I eat meat now it tends to be poultry, I'd very rarely eat processed red meat these days (I did have a McDonalds a few weeks ago - it was a novelty via uber eats). I will have the occasional steak too or home made beer burger - though I think the last steak I has was sometime last year. I'll have a haggis on burns night too (though missed it this year). I'm sure at some point I'll have a full English breakfast if staying at a hotel or something but it isn't the sort of thing I'd cook at home these days.

Plenty of animals get killed farming crops etc... some vegans still wear leather shoes or buy handbags made from leather etc... The self righteous aspect of it always seems flawed - its sort of a denial of reality and when they get into arguments about bees and whether Vegans should eat honey or whether you can keep bees ethically and make vegan honey etc.. then it really has jumped the shark. We inevitably kill animals whether directly or indirectly, that isn't going to change, cutting down a tree does that yet I suspect vegans arguing about stealing the labour of honey bees haven't avoided all wood in their houses, despite each tree felled containing tens of thousands of bugs.

I'm fully behind trying to minimise animal suffering, I buy free range eggs, free range chicken etc.. and I don't really see fish or prawns etc.. as being on the same level as say pigs, cows etc.. I'd not have an issue with regulations around the slaughter of animals becoming even stricter and meat having to become even more expensive.

In the past meat has been an extravagance, I think edging back to a situation like that could be good. These animals have been bred for meat, if they can be well looked after then slaughtered in the quickest and painless way possible then that's fine with me. I suspect that if meat consumption is reduced over time then it will be easier to get tighter and tighter regulations passed re: meat and the environmental impact can be massively reduced too.

Soldato
Anyone else prefer thigh over breast? (Chicken ya dorty sods. :))

I find they have much more flavour and are cheaper too.

Man of Honour
Why don’t vegans eat honey? Honey isn’t a cruel product in any way.

Someone could probably argue that honey is animal cruelty, but that's not really the key point. Veganism = no use of animal products at all. That's the rule that defines veganism. It's quite hard to do, since animal products can be found in all sorts of things. Cosmetics, for example. It goes way beyond eating and it has some surprising aspects to eating, too. Beer, for example. Many beers contain an animal product. Isinglass, I think it's called. It reduces cloudiness in beer. It's made from a part of a fish.

It could be said that strictly speaking veganism is impossible because food production on any sort of scale will result in some animal bits in it and you can't be vegan on small scale farming because you need a wider variety of plants at an affordable price. Also, you need B12 supplements because there aren't any plant sources of B12 and that's made from bacteria (it's a waste product of some bacateria). Bacteria aren't plants.

Back
Top Bottom