How often do you go to the Dentist?

Caporegime
i've been to a chiro so i've felt the difference. my posture improved dramatically.

Likewise people will swear by homeopathy or magical healing crystals. If it makes you feel good then that's great, I'm not disputing that you personally believe it does something.

Soldato
I've been going once every 6 months for years now but I had my appointment yesterday and it's been changed to every 9 months.

An x-ray is normally taken once every couple of years.

Associate
@jpod

How much daily brushing do you recommend?

I use a Philips Sonicare 3 x daily for 2 minutes a time.

Thanks

What you are doing is fine. Change the tip of the ETB when it wears out.

I recommend twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste and leave the paste on your teeth. Spit but don't rinse.

I use a medium quality supermarket brush like Colgate. Sometimes I use the high fluoride toothpastes (Duraphat) (I am frighted of dentistry! But have no sweet tooth) and blue Te-pe brushes dipped in toothpaste pushed one between each gap before brushing - some people use other sizes or dental tape (not floss). Everyone is different - some have big gaps (like me) some very little gaps).

You can read all the science here, you want page 17 onwards
https://assets.publishing.service.g...file/605266/Delivering_better_oral_health.pdf

Go at least once a year to the dentist. I go every 3 months for a professional clean with our dental therapists who are great - but between 1, 2 and 4 times a year suits most adults.

Look on the labels of your food and drink (lots of sugar in drinks) look at Carbohydrates of which is sugars. If out of 100g it is a percentage - try to keep those low e.g. Frosties is 40% sugar!

Don't smoke. If you smoke stop.

Follow the gov advice for alcohol 14 units for fellas. Don't drink every day.

There you go you are all coached up!

Best pod

Associate
I used to go every 6 months for s check up until I was around 21.
I unfortunately then put my job ahead of myself and hardly visited visited the dentist, maybe once a year or whatever or when I needed work, I've had a few issues with my teeth recently due to a few botched fillings, I've had 2 wisdom teeth out and I'm waiting to get a pre molar our due to it being filled twice and the tooth kept breaking. My new dentist thinks he can save it with a root canal but it's just not worth it.

I've always brushed my teeth twice a day but every time I went to the dentist, they'd start prodding around and I'd have issues I never had and then somehow need fillings.

Associate
I'm also sure that I've had a filling before and I didn't really need it. Dentists can be corrupt too.

I went in for a check up once, and the dentist i saw was an older gentleman who didn't stay in the practise long, and it was on the nhs at the time.
He had his pointy thing poking all my teeth and on one particular tooth on the bottom, he pushed down incredibly hard, I kept holding my head up as best I could but he just kept on applying a ridiculous amount of pressure until I gave up holding my head up and letting it fall under the pressure he was applying, he stopped after I let my head go.
Personally I think he was trying to damage my tooth so he could charge for a filling in 6 months time but I never saw him again.
Unfortunaoly after a number of years, I may need to have that tooth filled.

Associate
Being ancient dentists just extracted and for a lifetime I have chewed on one side. I he decided to have dentures to fill the gaps. Colossal price and they will only serve for a short time before the appointment at the crematorium but what the hell.

Soldato

I recommend twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste and leave the paste on your teeth. Spit but don't rinse.

I use a medium quality supermarket brush like Colgate. Sometimes I use the high fluoride toothpastes (Duraphat) (I am frighted of dentistry! But have no sweet tooth) and blue Te-pe brushes dipped in toothpaste pushed one between each gap before brushing - some people use other sizes or dental tape (not floss). Everyone is different - some have big gaps (like me) some very little gaps).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...file/605266/Delivering_better_oral_health.pdf

Go at least once a year to the dentist. I go every 3 months for a professional clean with our dental therapists who are great - but between 1, 2 and 4 times a year suits most adults.

Look on the labels of your food and drink (lots of sugar in drinks) look at Carbohydrates of which is sugars. If out of 100g it is a percentage - try to keep those low e.g. Frosties is 40% sugar!

Best pod

Thanks for the advice.

I don’t drink or smoke. I haven’t got a sweet tooth and avoid fizzy drinks like the plague :D but I do like the odd protein bar so I’ll check what ingredients is in them.

I always rinsed after cleaning my teeth but I’ll take your advice. I have ordered those brushes from Amazon, I didn’t even know they existed. I am due a clean on the 25th and have one about twice a year.

Cheers

Associate
Top draw. Just dip the brushes in toothpaste and push through easy gaps (don't force) once before you brush - (don't saw back and too) - may be use the tepes once per day. Take all the things you use with you when you see the hygienist/therapist and they will give you instruction on what to do. They coach you. :):p;)

Soldato
Top draw. Just dip the brushes in toothpaste and push through easy gaps (don't force) once before you brush - (don't saw back and too) - may be use the tepes once per day. Take all the things you use with you when you see the hygienist/therapist and they will give you instruction on what to do. They coach you. :):p;)

Will do, I wont saw my gums either :D

Soldato
@jpod

How much daily brushing do you recommend?

I use a Philips Sonicare 3 x daily for 2 minutes a time.

Thanks

We just ditched that toothbrush. It basically died after a year.

Best pod

When I was a kid, my dentist had the worst teeth. He had more gold in there than he did actually teeth. He was, admittedly, about 60 when I started seeing him 25 years ago, but I could never fathom how he had ended up with such terrible teeth!

Soldato
@jpod

I broke a tooth last week. Lost about half of it. The pulp is exposed, and a trip to the dentist confirmed that it is decaying. I was supposed to have root canal treatment yesterday, but the dentist was ill. I've now got to wait another two weeks.

The tooth hasn't been filled, so it's just bare pulp where the break is. Am I likely to have any problems leaving it like this for a total of three weeks?

I'm not in any pain, so that's not a consideration. Only time it has hurt is when the dentist prodded the nerve (I believe he thought it was dead, as I'm not in pain).

Soldato
I used to think that too until I cut back on the fruit juice a decade ago because the dentist said they were worse than scoffing loads of sweets. Not a single filling since then.

My mum said i ate a lot of fruit as a kid so maybe that could be why i needed a few fillings up to my early 20s. Nowadays i only eat banans and i haven’t had to have much done except 2 fillings in tbe last 7-8 years. I generally try avoid really sugary stuff but i am a sucker for a can of coke (1)on a weekend.

Back
Top Bottom