Kitchen remodel from start to finish

Soldato
OP
We've had a lot of work done. A doorway opened up and another doorway created between a toilet and boiler room. You can spend a lot less depending on how much work needs to be done.

Associate
Oh wow, i was looking at it thinking "id love a new kitchen" but ill never afford something as nice as that :(
If you are prepared to project manage, do some work yourself (including designing) and shop carefully you can do it for a lot cheaper. My entire kitchen - 23 units in total and worktops (they are wood block not Granite) was just over 6k (no appliances) from DIY Kitchens. I will fit it myself and pay a kitchen fitter to fit the worktops. My plumber and electrician I have paid at day rate and I have purchased all of the fittings and appliances myself. I will bring the kitchen in at under £10k with all Bosch appliances - Wren wanted over £30k for a similar handle-less kitchen with CDA appliances

Have to say that the OP's kitchen looks lovely.

Soldato
OP
Worktops are in and the plumbing for the sink, dishwasher and washing machine is sorted. The induction hob is also in place. I made a roast dinner today so didn't have a chance to use the hob in anger but my god it heats water fast. It's faster than my kettle to heat a like for like volume of water when on power boost mode. An absolute revelation, indeed.

Painting and decorating starting on Monday and the flooring guy is coming to screed the floor on Tuesday ready for the Karndean luxury vinyl tiles. We're going for their 'Grey Limed Oak' colour which should match the rest of the kitchen nicely.

I'll update the thread with my thoughts about the induction hob as I use it. Will probably make some eggs with it tomorrow after work which will be interesting for me.

A few pics of course.

Surfaces and final appliances
by Connor Hundley, on Flickr

Worktop

Soldato
Looks nice! I'd have personally had the sink by the window and the hob where the sink is. I'd also probably have just went for an L shape but once it's done and floor is down etc I imagine my opinion will change.

Always jealous though. My kitchen is crap lol.

Associate
Worktops are in and the plumbing for the sink, dishwasher and washing machine is sorted. The induction hob is also in place. I made a roast dinner today so didn't have a chance to use the hob in anger but my god it heats water fast. It's faster than my kettle to heat a like for like volume of water when on power boost mode. An absolute revelation, indeed.

Painting and decorating starting on Monday and the flooring guy is coming to screed the floor on Tuesday ready for the Karndean luxury vinyl tiles. We're going for their 'Grey Limed Oak' colour which should match the rest of the kitchen nicely.

I'll update the thread with my thoughts about the induction hob as I use it. Will probably make some eggs with it tomorrow after work which will be interesting for me.

A few pics of course..

Looks fab very very nice. We got the same oven installed earlier this month and love it

Soldato
<snip>

Same one as my parents by the look of it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to switch then adjust, just make sure the thing isn't going to boil over. I'd have preferred a adjust pad for each area separate.

Kitchen looks good!

Man of Honour
Very nice clean look. I like the light work surface, far better than dark. I also swapped out my gas for induction when I moved in.

Soldato
OP
Same one as my parents by the look of it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to switch then adjust, just make sure the thing isn't going to boil over. I'd have preferred a adjust pad for each area separate.

Kitchen looks good!

Yeah I understand what you mean. Although, cleaning any boil over will be a breeze compared to any gas hob :)

Soldato
OP
Cooked some fried eggs using my new tri-ply stainless steel frying pan this evening. Along with my new kitchen I'm trying to minimise my use of non-stick pans. The hob worked wonders with it and the eggs cooked really well. I'm finding the hob is great at temperature control and is much more stable than any gas hob I've tried.

What I'm really enjoying is figuring out which number setting works for each item I'm cooking. For example I quickly figured out that a setting of 6 worked perfectly for eggs. Now in the future I know that I can just turn the hob to 6 and know it will produce the perfect heat. With gas I only used the knobs for a rough adjustment and then looked at the flame size to fine tune the heat. This is obviously not as precise as my induction.

The hob has 18 output settings, including powerboost, which I find is ample and provides great control.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks nice! I'd have personally had the sink by the window and the hob where the sink is. I'd also probably have just went for an L shape but once it's done and floor is down etc I imagine my opinion will change.

Always jealous though. My kitchen is crap lol.

No no no no no no no no no :p

A large gaping sink on an island means the island is purely there for washing up. I hate seeing people/designers do this, keep the sink out of the way on the back wall, but within easy access of the hob and dishwasher. Then you have the flat induction hob on the island for cooking/entertaining.

The only time a sink works on an island is if it's a huge island capable of taking one or if it's a small trough type sink for making drinks only.

Soldato
I'm finding the hob is great at temperature control and is much more stable than any gas hob I've tried.

What I'm really enjoying is figuring out which number setting works for each item I'm cooking.

The hob has 18 output settings, including powerboost, which I find is ample and provides great control.

They’ve tried to make gas jobs more controllable - Bosch have their “flameselect” that is almost digital. It uses separate valves for each setting so the output is the same for each number. So as you turn it only switches flame height at the number and there’s no gradual adjustment - set the number and not have to look under the pan for the flame size.

Soldato
OP
A large gaping sink on an island means the island is purely there for washing up. I hate seeing people/designers do this, keep the sink out of the way on the back wall, but within easy access of the hob and dishwasher. Then you have the flat induction hob on the island for cooking/entertaining.

Exactly this. I will get stools opposite the hob where people can sit while I cook which will make it much more sociable.

They’ve tried to make gas jobs more controllable - Bosch have their “flameselect” that is almost digital. It uses separate valves for each setting so the output is the same for each number. So as you turn it only switches flame height at the number and there’s no gradual adjustment - set the number and not have to look under the pan for the flame size.

That does sound great to be fair. However, it will still be a nuisance to clean. I’m loving the fact that all I have to do is spray some glass cleaner and give it a once over with a tea towel and it’s spotless.

Still have a lot of testing to do but at this point in time I’m not regretting induction at all.

Back
Top Bottom