Overclocking via Bios (ASRock UEFI)

Associate
Hello all, I'm a rookie to this overclocking malarkey, but my computer is able to overclock via the bios (asrock UEFI) as the title says, my spec is :-

Processor
6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700K
Processor Base Frequency: 4GHz
Cache: 8MB SmartCache
Memory
32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM HyperX Fury
Supports up to 64GB
4 x DIMM sockets (used)
Hard Drive
3TB SATA HDD
250GB M.2 SSD Boot Drive
Optical Drive None
Software
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Microsoft Office not included
Chipset (Mobo)
Intel Z170 Pro 4s
Display N/A
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, 8GB
Audio
High Definition Audio, 7.1 channel
Networking
Realtek 10/100/1000 LAN
Power Supply
500 watts

But when I go into the bios and try the easy overclock button or even when I try to change profiles to one set at cpu @ 4.4 the computer just freezes and when I restart my computer its back running at the preset profile of cpu @ 4.0, is there anything I can do to get this to run at 4.4?
rgjNjwSv1g

LvLiycR126

Associate
OP
PoqxGm3vCl
Hi pastymuncher the Psu is :-
FSP Group INC
Model number - fsp500-60hhn
Max wattage - 123Max
total output - 500W

lr6k4QQ7ha

It looks like a generic model it came with the pc.
Do you think I'm not getting enough power,I do have a corsair vs 550 here but would it make any difference?
Sorry I kinda mucked up the photos, the first one I put in at the bottom but it needed rotated to the left so I tried to edit it and wasn't looking where the cursor was and it ended up at the start of the message and I cant find any way to remove it :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's not a brilliant psu but it's better than a generic one. It has a pair of 12v rails with 18A on each so a max of 432w. The 123w max refers to the maximum power over the 3.3v and 5v rails. A competitor to OCUK were selling them for less than £20 back in 2013. The downside is that it's not 80+ certified at all, uses a old design, doesn't have many cables and only a 4 pin EPS (cpu power) connector, is built by FSP so ripple is bound to be all over the place. I can't believe that a company would put a psu like that in what was a pretty high end pc 3-4 years ago. That's just shocking and penny pinching at it's worst.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable overclocking with a psu like that but what I will say is that these one press easy overclocking features can be very hit or miss whether they actually work. Some will overvolt, sometimes by quite a lot. The best way is to do it manually in the bios by changing the multiplier and vcore and taking things slowly. You also learn to overclock this way and understand what each change you make does. You will need to keep a close eye on cpu temps and a decent cpu cooler is essential.

There is a very indepth 6700k overclocking guide here compiled by Tweaktown.
There is a less in depth but still very good guide here at PCGamer.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the guides pastymuncher there both very good for a rookie like me but the indepth 6700k is perfect, I've a bit of reading ahead of me :)

Back
Top Bottom