• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The 7 Year Itch

Permabanned
If your rig currently does all you want it to wait 6 months or however long it takes for 7nm Ryzen to hit shelves and reviewers, then see how it fits in with Intel's current cpu choices, In Intels mainstream the i7 is no longer the flagship, Now it's the i9 that's today's equivalent replacement for your i7, It comes with 8 cores & 16 threads, The platforms have significant improvements as well, especially when it comes to storage and the available read & write speeds. I imagine you have an SSD boot drive which tops out at around 500 read & 250 write ish?? The new platforms support DDR4 memory along with nvme drives with read & write speeds in excess of 3000 & 2000 respectively so all these improvements together will offer you a significantly better experience outside of gaming and a decent improvement in a lot of games.

Caporegime
if you waited 7 years wait a couple of months for new amd cpus. this period is the worst time to upgrade. if you spent 7 years with same rig you are obviously after value. so just wait its not long now.

Caporegime
^^ Exactly, a few more months is nothing.

Come to think of it, I went from the Q6600 to a 3570k back in 2012, then jumped only a little higher to a 6600k in 2016 when the motherboard died (stop-gap upgrade), so when I upgrade this year it will, more or less, be getting my first proper upgrade in about 6/7 years.

That said, I do notice a little more difference between the 6600k/3570k than I imagined I would.

Permabanned
You'd see very little improvement in some games but there's a lot of game where you'd see a big improvement and with the current trend of games using multiple cores you should look at going with at least an 8 cores, I want to say 6 because the 8700k is an amazing gaming cpu but for longevity go with 8 or wait for Zen 2 as others mentioned, Lisa Su has confirmed that there will be at least one Zen2 cpu with more than 8 cores so it's worth waiting to see how & if it shapes up as we all hope. nvm

Associate
^^ Exactly, a few more months is nothing.

Come to think of it, I went from the Q6600 to a 3570k back in 2012, then jumped only a little higher to a 6600k in 2016 when the motherboard died (stop-gap upgrade), so when I upgrade this year it will, more or less, be getting my first proper upgrade in about 6/7 years.

That said, I do notice a little more difference between the 6600k/3570k than I imagined I would.

Same. Had the Q6600 at 3.4Ghz which was practically indestructible, then 3570k at 4.7 since 2012 so it's almost time to upgrade. Only problem is there's no new games I want to play until maybe SC next year or Bannerlord whenever that comes out...

Associate
OP
So, to update the thread, I managed to snag the following rig from the MM ( eagerly awaits delivery)

Ryzen 2600x with upgraded cooler from 2700x
MSI B450 Carbon Gaming Pro AC Wifi
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Crucial Sport LT 16GB 3000 Mhz
256GB Samsung 960 Evo NVME SSD
Fractal Design S Window case
Windows 10
Added a 500gb Samsung Evo 860 SSD as a game drive.

Will see how it performs and decide what to do with the rest .

Associate
So, to update the thread, I managed to snag the following rig from the MM ( eagerly awaits delivery)

Ryzen 2600x with upgraded cooler from 2700x
MSI B450 Carbon Gaming Pro AC Wifi
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Crucial Sport LT 16GB 3000 Mhz
256GB Samsung 960 Evo NVME SSD
Fractal Design S Window case
Windows 10
Added a 500gb Samsung Evo 860 SSD as a game drive.

Will see how it performs and decide what to do with the rest .
Very Nice. But that means the system donor is going to get that nice Ryzen 3xxx system that you could have had in 3 weeks time :) Guess you got a good deal there though.

Associate
OP
Very Nice. But that means the system donor is going to get that nice Ryzen 3xxx system that you could have had in 3 weeks time :) Guess you got a good deal there though.

Well not sure the Ryzen 3xxx will be 3 weeks away, more like 3 months but hey something's you just need to grasp with both hands. :)

Associate
I imagine you have an SSD boot drive which tops out at around 500 read & 250 write ish?? The new platforms support DDR4 memory along with nvme drives with read & write speeds in excess of 3000 & 2000 respectively so all these improvements together will offer you a significantly better experience outside of gaming and a decent improvement in a lot of games.

I'm in the same boat as the OP and exactly for the reasons Nashsathedog has suggested, I'll be keeping my Z68/2600k running a while longer until I see the results of an X570/Ryzen 7 3700X. From the specs that setup should keep me going for another 5yrs at least:) What I miss at the moment is more cores (I work with VM's) and nvme m2 (8x the speed of a standard SATA SSD!). Cant wait for July.....

Permabanned
I'm in the same boat as the OP and exactly for the reasons Nashsathedog has suggested, I'll be keeping my Z68/2600k running a while longer until I see the results of an X570/Ryzen 7 3700X. From the specs that setup should keep me going for another 5yrs at least:) What I miss at the moment is more cores (I work with VM's) and nvme m2 (8x the speed of a standard SATA SSD!). Cant wait for July.....

It's going to be an interesting Summer in the cpu market this year. :)

Associate
Apart from a mini upgrade from an i5 750 to an x3470 my itch has been more like 10 years coming up! Literally can't wait for the summer, kingdom come deliverance really busts my cpu´s balls

Back
Top Bottom