Looking for a "twin centre" city break. Amsterdam and then where?

Soldato
The girlfriend and I are looking to go to Amsterdam for a few days, then perhaps get the train somewhere else. Sort-of like a double city break, in a week.

We did this last year in Porto, then took the train to Lisbon and flew back from there. It worked really well. So, from Amsterdam where could we go on the train (<3hrs preferably). Looking at Bruges, Ghent, Lille, Cologne perhaps. Anywhere that's do-able really. Preferably with easy flights back to the UK.

Any ideas? :)

Last edited:
Associate
Bruges, Ghent and Cologne are all great places. I'd probably go for Ghent as it's only just over two hours by train. I think Cologne is best saved for when you've got a little bit more time to travel down the Rhine valley as it's stunning scenery.

Soldato
OP
Munich and Salzburg?
They look very far, I don't imagine you can do that without spending the best part of a day travelling.

What are your interests?
The usual. Culture, museums, architecture. Definitely good food.

Brussels would be easiest if you need to fly back from there.
Seen as we're looking mid-March I'm not entirely sure if I want to be in Brussels right before Brexit happens :( There's nothing really grabbing me about that city either, if I'm honest...

Caporegime
They look very far, I don't imagine you can do that without spending the best part of a day travelling.

The usual. Culture, museums, architecture. Definitely good food.

Seen as we're looking mid-March I'm not entirely sure if I want to be in Brussels right before Brexit happens :( There's nothing really grabbing me about that city either, if I'm honest...

How about Vienna and Budapest?

Soldato
OP
How about Vienna and Budapest?
Ah, a nice suggestion but we want to go to Amsterdam. I've been 4-5 times for work and I know my girlfriend would love it. Plus I've never done all the touristy bits.

I think you mean <3 hrs, @Scam :o
Woops, yes I do. I blame lack of caffeine :o

Bruges would be my pick. Love that place. Bear in mine it's a ~1hr train journey to Brussels for the flight home (unless you get the train)
We've wanted to go to Bruges for a while but it's been so long we're a bit "over" the idea, lol :confused:

We might well get the Eurostar to Amsterdam so perhaps Bruge/Ghent is easiest..

Soldato
Ah, a nice suggestion but we want to go to Amsterdam. I've been 4-5 times for work and I know my girlfriend would love it. Plus I've never done all the touristy bits.

Woops, yes I do. I blame lack of caffeine :o

We've wanted to go to Bruges for a while but it's been so long we're a bit "over" the idea, lol :confused:

We might well get the Eurostar to Amsterdam so perhaps Bruge/Ghent is easiest..

Whilst it's not an exact copy (things filmed in the wrong place) but watch the film In Bruges. Best case it reignites something, worst case you just watch a brilliant film!

Soldato
OP
Whilst it's not an exact copy (things filmed in the wrong place) but watch the film In Bruges. Best case it reignites something, worst case you just watch a brilliant film!
Ha. Yes we saw that when it first came out hence wanting to go, originally :p Great film!

Soldato
Just don't use it as a tour guide. We went to the place where you touch Jesus Christs blood and though it looked wrong and it was actually filmed in another church. We ended up walking to the other church just because it felt right. There's also a lovely windmill by it and a nice "local" pub.

Honestly though i'd go. It's small enough to let you see everything in only a day or two compared to other cities and it's just fantastic! Some of the rude chocolates/sweets are superb (especially if you're immature)

zvW4muR.png

Back
Top Bottom