Who says aio cooling is crap?

Associate
Same answer as before. If when using NH-D15S CPU temp is radically warmer than with H115i it's an airflow issue, either cooler fan is running to slow or case fans are too slow / not able to supply enough cool airflow to cooler. Review in below link shows their performance to be near identical.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...platinum-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Just for comparison, Tweaktown review of H150i on overclocked i7 6700K shows it up to 4c warmer than top air coolers with air coolers making 33-34dB to H150i making 49dB
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8540/corsair-h150i-pro-rgb-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html

I like where my temps are and the fact my build doesn't have an ugly heat sink sat on top of my CPU. Noise I can't hear and performance is fine.

Soldato
AIOs on GPUs are awesome. Because it is direct die, the water temp is very similar to the die temp itself and so the temps stay very low.

Also the 200-300W of heat gets ejected straight out of the case.

Soldato
AIOs on GPUs are awesome. Because it is direct die, the water temp is very similar to the die temp itself and so the temps stay very low.

Also the 200-300W of heat gets ejected straight out of the case.

I've not looked into this much. With regards to overclocking, do the VRM's end up being the limiting factor or is their cooling improved too?

Soldato
I've not looked into this much. With regards to overclocking, do the VRM's end up being the limiting factor or is their cooling improved too?

If you use something like the G12 then it introduces airflow over the board. This combined with some RAM sinks and VRM sinks keeps them comfortable. It's not an overclocking bottleneck for stock power limits. You are almost definitely going to hit the power limit instead of any heat limits.

Soldato
If you use something like the G12 then it introduces airflow over the board. This combined with some RAM sinks and VRM sinks keeps them comfortable. It's not an overclocking bottleneck for stock power limits. You are almost definitely going to hit the power limit instead of any heat limits.

I see. That's good to know, cheers.

Associate
OP
Lol what happened to me thread? Side tracked or what. The idea of the thread was to provide people with a rough temperature guide for those looking to use AIO’s.

Cooling is personal choice and no one should be bashed for their choice.

Me personally was about cost/cooling delta/fan noise.

160 quid out lay for good temps. And in an other 2 years i will refill both units via modding pretty easy to drill tap fill/drain ports on both. Looking at filling mayhems pastel or better.

I might even do it sooner if i get the time work commitments crazy at the moment.

Soldato
assuming the VRM's are on the right hand side of the card or the fan won't blow air onto them.

Yea, I was just wondering what the next limitation would be once GPU temp wasn't a factor. It seems the order is GPU temp -> power limit -> VRM temp.

Now I'm wondering if some folk who increase their card's power limit also water-cool the VRM's but I'll look into that myself so as not to drag this too far off topic.

Associate
Of the 3x links ttaskmaster supplied in post #33 2x are about CLC problems. As for numbers of people with problems, there are considerably more threads/posts of of CLC problems and failures than there are of upper level air cooing in cases with good airflow.

As for longevity, even CLCs with 5 year warranty is only 1/2 or 1/3rd the potential life of a good air cooler with only the cost of replacing fan/s and maybe a mount update. I'm running a Thermalright Ultima 90 and a Ultra 120 (4x heatpipe) installed early 2007 that have only had fans and mount updates.

You are lumping CLCs into same group as AIOs that are not CLC. Again, there are 2 kinds of AIOs, CLCs are the majority of all AIOs buy more a 10:1 ratio, maybe a 100:1 ratio. CLCs are also the most problematic. There are threads of users who have had problems, same as there are threads/posts of users who have gone from CLCs to top tier air.

I would venture to guess that most CLC owners have little to no experience with top tier air coolers, nor do they understand the importance of proper case airflow. They saw the advertising hype of CLCs as water cooling and though of CLCs as budget custom loops and rushed out to get one, so when they post up about how great their CLC is, how it dropped their temps 10c and how much quieter it is, the comparison is of a case with poor airflow using cooler supplied with CPU .. a worst case situation. In most cases changing a stock case with stock CPU cooler to a CLC automatically adds 2x more fans to the case that came stock with 1x or 2x fans so have doubled or tripled case airflow by adding CLC.

Owners of cases with good airflow and upper level air cooling don't even consider about buying CLCs.

Most custom loop components are way better quality than AIOs and CLCs. CLCs are the absolute cheapest and poorest quality liquid cooling made. AIOs are better, but only as good as low end custom loop components.

Depending on what case, motherboard and RAM you have you could get a top tier air cooler and couple of case fans for less money, cooling as good or better, less noise potential and much more dependable than AIOs/CLCs. If you are interested start a thread and we can help you sort it out.
I have a phantek luxe case which has tons of space now the 2 rads pump with resevior and 9 fans have been stripped out I am going to give the Noctua air cooler a try I will be dropping down to 6 140mm fans (2 on cooler) if I could post a photo directly from my phone showing the state of my expensive GPU it would show my reasoning. I sometimes have my PC running over night or when I am out and after this I would be worried the PC could go up in flames with a bad leak from either a custom loop or a AIO it's freaked me out to be honest
Forgot to mention my 1080ti was on air prior me getting a water block

Associate
OP
I have a phantek luxe case which has tons of space now the 2 rads pump with resevior and 9 fans have been stripped out I am going to give the Noctua air cooler a try I will be dropping down to 6 140mm fans (2 on cooler) if I could post a photo directly from my phone showing the state of my expensive GPU it would show my reasoning. I sometimes have my PC running over night or when I am out and after this I would be worried the PC could go up in flames with a bad leak from either a custom loop or a AIO it's freaked me out to be honest
Forgot to mention my 1080ti was on air prior me getting a water block

If u got contents insurance nothing to worry about. And theres really not enough material in a pc to have a decent fire.

Most premix are non conductive had a few leaks when first started loops lots of kitchen towl later all dry no problems

Associate
I've no idea who says it's crap, just upgraded to a 9700k and my h100iv2 was overheating the cpu, stress testing showed 100c and throttling, deemed the v2 to be faulty got a replacement but at the same time purchased a 150i pro and here we are just coming into the summer and the chip idling at around 22-25 and running assassin's creed at mid 40s I'll take that.

Soldato
Nice bump. So far the thread has mostly been about their reliability, and how it's really not that much cooler than a top quality air cooler (which are cheaper, quieter and often very close to similar cooling).

Given your post is about how your previous AIO failed, it's not exactly a winning argument :D.

Associate
Nice bump. So far the thread has mostly been about their reliability, and how it's really not that much cooler than a top quality air cooler (which are cheaper, quieter and often very close to similar cooling).

Given your post is about how your previous AIO failed, it's not exactly a winning argument :D.

Thing is i had for 3 1/2 years and seeing as them lovely people at Corsair give at a 5 year warranty i got a free upgrade replacement to a h100i pro also i wouldn't say a big air cooler is quieter, in fact far from it, i know because i removed a noctua nhd-15 because 1 it was too heavy and 2 it sounded like a jet engine and was audible even at lowest setting which evidently made the cooling worse compared to my 3 ml fans on front of the rad at 600rpm and pump on balanced is inaudible and way way quieter than what the nhd-15 so the argument about the noctua being quieter is not true

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom