BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Sky will be offering G.Fast later this year if you want to try again?

Hi MissChief,

I wouldn't try GFAST again as openreach are unable to fix my disconnections, I have had 6 engineers out been told twice its been fixed yet i still suffer with disconnections 3 - 4 times a day.

Hoping the fttc will be a lot more reliable as i previously had no problems with disconnections before the GFAST switch.

Soldato
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ted-uk-fttp-broadband-migration-discount.html

Specifically

"The trial will only take place in four exchange areas – Cardiff (Whitchurch), Edinburgh (Corstorphine), Liverpool (Childwall) and Manchester (Swinton) – and become available via supporting ISPs from 1st March 2019."

I live in Swinton. I wonder if Plusnet will offer it for me.

So unlikely it's not even funny. Even if by some miracle they did, the odds of them passing it on to you are even smaller.

Soldato
Depends who the original range holder is as the number will have been returned to them. I know we can't pick or choose numbers that are assigned on activation, only one from a range of 'our' numbers.

Sky was the original issuer or i'd not be asking you :D Like I say, the process that was in place made what BT are telling me impossible, so i'm wondering if my new best friend with two failed installs under his belt and zero credibility is barking up the wrong tree, or some significant change to the process has occurred, I know what my money is on.

Associate
So after testing Virgin media for a few days I have decided to go back to Sky and FTTC connection.
Before on my previous Sky connection I was syncing at 79999/19999 but now it is quite a bit lower.
Yesterday I decided to unlock and connect HG612 to better see my line stats so here they are...

yhdgyhfhjg.jpg

Openreach told me that my line is 252m long so not too bad.

Here is the cabinet that I am connected to (there are actually two cabinets within 20 meters from each other).
Is this the Huawei cabinet.?

20190131-182026.jpg

20190121-102004.jpg

20190131-182002.jpg

BT wholesale broadbanc check says that I'm connected to cabinet 15.
As you can see it is g.fast enabled but g.fast is not available for me despite my line being only 250m long but weirdly enough it is availabe for the next building which is only like 30m away from me.

This is my address:

fgdffdvdvfdvv.jpg

And this is next building:

fghfgfvdv6vhhhr.jpg

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So after testing Virgin media for a few days I have decided to go back to Sky and FTTC connection.
Before on my previous Sky connection I was syncing at 79999/19999 but now it is quite a bit lower.
Yesterday I decided to unlock and connect HG612 to better see my line stats so here they are...
You have essentially got a new connection so DLM will have to start over.

Interleaving is on by default on new connections and is on on your connection, hence why your connection speed is lower. In time it should/might get turned off by DLM and your sync speeds will increase. Likewise G.INP will give you a boost in speeds if DLM turns it on. You may well also have been on a lower target SNR which will give you a faster connection.

All these things are controlled by DLM and is out of the hands of your ISP or OR. Just give it time and leave it alone, and it should return to how it was previously.

The first pic is the old PCP with the G.fast pod on the left. The 3rd pic is the FTTC cab.

You G.fast is showing as Amber, I've read that it could be due to capacity or something to do with your estimated speeds. Your ISP should be able to know why. Sky isn't offering G.fast, yet.

Associate
You have essentially got a new connection so DLM will have to start over.

Interleaving is on by default on new connections and is on on your connection, hence why your connection speed is lower. In time it should/might get turned off by DLM and your sync speeds will increase. Likewise G.INP will give you a boost in speeds if DLM turns it on. You may well also have been on a lower target SNR which will give you a faster connection.

All these things are controlled by DLM and is out of the hands of your ISP or OR. Just give it time and leave it alone, and it should return to how it was previously.

The first pic is the old PCP with the G.fast pod on the left. The 3rd pic is the FTTC cab.

You G.fast is showing as Amber, I've read that it could be due to capacity or something to do with your estimated speeds. Your ISP should be able to know why. Sky isn't offering G.fast, yet.

Yeah interleaving was on much higher than it is now and my pings were in the ~15ms but after first two days DLM lowered it and pings went down to 7ms and sync speed went up by about 9000. It was like that for another 10 days so I decided to connect old HG612 to get more info. Unplugged sky q hub and connected HG612 about 35 minutes later. That didn't lower sync speed or increase interleaving.
Also why is my actual sync speed higher than attainable speed reported by the modem.?
I know sky currently doesn't offer g.fast but most likely will in the future.
Also tomorrow my 14days cooling off period ends so if I knew I could get g.fast with different ISP than I would cancel .
Spoke to openreach about g.fast at my address and why is it available in the next building and they are investigating.
Also OR engeneer when connecting my line said that there is no reason g.fast would not work on my line.

So are you both connected to the same cabinet?

Yes we are...

Last edited:
Associate
Just switched to BT in case Openreach records gets updated to enable g.fast on my line. If that happens then I will immediately switch from Superfast 2 to ultrafast 2...
Fingers crossed....

Soldato
I've had BT FTTP in my new build.

Got the 300mb UltraFast Fibre 2 Plus for £55.99 a month.

Speed testung at 311mb down, 49mb up and 8ms ping.

I'm seeing some providers doing Giga Fast or whatever it's called from Vodafone going at 900mb.

When will BT do that ?

Soldato
I've had BT FTTP in my new build.

Got the 300mb UltraFast Fibre 2 Plus for £55.99 a month.

Speed testung at 311mb down, 49mb up and 8ms ping.

I'm seeing some providers doing Giga Fast or whatever it's called from Vodafone going at 900mb.

When will BT do that ?

They won’t. Vodafone is rolling out its own network and it’s independant of BT.

Just switched to BT in case Openreach records gets updated to enable g.fast on my line. If that happens then I will immediately switch from Superfast 2 to ultrafast 2...
Fingers crossed....

Scroll up a little, two of us haven’t had a great experience so far - even when escalated to CEO level BT are still useless, i’m now waiting for BT to raise my issue with OR at an equivalent level - it’s only taken them 6 days so far, that said this all started in Black Friday, so what’s 6 days in the overall scheme of things?

Soldato
When would it be likely BT will go higher than 300mb ? Is there trails for that type of stuff ?

Or is the BT FTTP 300mb the max it can do ?

Thanks Ben

Look at it another way, FTTP will be capable of more, but as of Dec 2018 a mere 2.6m people in the UK could actually get it or g.fast. Commercial products offering much faster services exist, but residential will likely wait a long time before they see anything significant other than perhaps a natural refinement up to say 500Mbit.

Last edited:
Associate
Scroll up a little, two of us haven’t had a great experience so far - even when escalated to CEO level BT are still useless, i’m now waiting for BT to raise my issue with OR at an equivalent level - it’s only taken them 6 days so far, that said this all started in Black Friday, so what’s 6 days in the overall scheme of things?

Ok but I don't think Sky is much better.
Also apparently Sky is prioritising stability over speed on their FTTC connection where BT is using the opposite.

Soldato
Ok but I don't think Sky is much better.
Also apparently Sky is prioritising stability over speed on their FTTC connection where BT is using the opposite.

Everything I know and have personally experienced both working in the industry for years and as a customer suggests otherwise. In networking terms stability is more important than speed, the margins for either are slim but the CPE and it's chipset is likely to make more of a difference from experience. Sky tend to employ staff who are permitted to go off script and use common sense/employ reasoning and fight against speculative invoicing scams by 3rd party rights holders, BT tend to still utilise Indian call centres (unless you pay for the Plus) and getting them to follow a process is painful, let alone getting them to deviate from it and hand your data over at the first sign of trouble. BT are more forthcoming with compensation when they make a mistake though, Sky tend to be somewhat tight in this respect but the OFCOM agreed compensation structure sorts that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like GFAST is now available on the cabinet my parents are connected to. Once it's in an area do they usually crack on with other cabinets in the same town? They're on 27 and I'm on 29 or is it a matter of statistics and looking at the homes and businesses it will serve?

Back
Top Bottom