What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Do any of you chaps maintain a watchlist? I have one on google notes but was wondering if anyone else did the same thing but used any sites/apps to do it properly.

I was considering using JustWatch, as its handy for seeing which platform movies are available on.
IMDb, I then rate and remove it from my watchlist when I've seen it

Soldato
Polar - 6/10.

Despite all the reviews absolutely trashing it, I found it enjoyable enough. Mads Mikkelsen is great in it, and you get to see Matt Lucas get killed. What’s not to like? (Though despite the rest of the film being very violent I thought they skimped on this scene a lot)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Literally just finished watching Polar and went to the net to see if a sequel is planned. I was shocked to see critics panning it and it getting 1 star and 15% scores. I actually thought it was pretty good and Mads Mikkelsen was absolutely perfect as the lead character.

The critics were slating it for being over the top and "silly", well its based on a comic book, what comic book isnt over the top and silly, the Joker and the Riddler for example are the very epitomy of over the top, there are countless Marvel characters that are "silly".

For me, its a 7/10 film and its actually one of those movies that I think could become a cult hit.

Soldato
Polar - 6/10.

Despite all the reviews absolutely trashing it, I found it enjoyable enough. Mads Mikkelsen is great in it, and you get to see Matt Lucas get killed. What’s not to like? (Though despite the rest of the film being very violent I thought they skimped on this scene a lot)

I watched it to the end, but I thought the casting of Matt Lucas was ludicrous.

Caporegime
Me and the wife watched 'Crazy rich asians' which I was under the impression was an out and out comedy.

In fact it was more like a rom-com.

Not bad, but it wasn't exactly laugh a minute either.

7/10

Soldato
How to train your dragon - hidden ...

8/10 (5 average). Very entertaining although adults may find it a little predictable, the Mrs loved it.

Man of Honour
Velvet Buzzsaw - think this is ‘made for netflix’. Nice to see a light hearted / tongue in cheek horror flick for once - the riffing on the arts world was most enjoyable. As silly as those characters are, I imagine there are hundreds of people out there that are just like them.

6/10

Caporegime
Stan and Ollie at the cinema earlier. Was expecting more from it really but then, I really knew very little about them and their "comedy" seemed very dated, despite one old fella in the audience laughing really hard throughout.

It was touching towards the end and the performances were good but it didn't grab me.

7/10

Also saw 'Widows' tonight, which was much more up my street. 8/10

Caporegime
Widows.

Big fan of Steve McQueen, but I think this is his weakest film. He really excels when he has one central performer with a few supporting characters, but this film, while being excellent performance-wise, plot-wise and character-wise, it felt like a bit too much crammed in. It probably could have benefited from another 20-30 odd minutes to flesh out the other characters outside of Veronica a bit more. Obvious comparison would be to Heat, but Heat is far far better. It's still worth a watch though.

7.5/10

There were a lot of plot threads that seemed pointless or went nowhere, but i'm not sure how much is stuff they tried to cram in from the Lynda La Plante novel.

I did like the Plot twist that Liam Neeson was still alive, but I didn't really understand why Viola Davis didn't open the door there and then?

Michelle Rodriguez going to the random house, finding out the woman she wanted to see was dead and then starting to get it on with a complete stranger was really odd.

Most of the storyline with the blonde woman and the architect guy seemed a bit extraneous. There was some female empowerment at the end of it, but it kinda fizzled out to nothing.

How did the women go from watching the van driving off, to speeding up behind Daniel Kaluuya? That seemed to happen so quickly

Caporegime
First Man

I really disliked this movie, It was boring, Miscast IMO, Gosling came across as some odd guy who suffered from Autism. Rather than a Elite Pilot with superhuman resolve.

Hated the score in space, the only thing for me the film did well was to portray the dangers of space flight.

What would have made a more interesting film would be at the start go to the moon then explore what as like to come back and deal with domestic life after putting your thumb over the world as you know it.

Many astronauts came back and couldn't deal with the Normal life and began boozing etc....

This would have been more interesting. Difficult for Armstrong as he basically became a recluse....But none the less, Wife waiting at home has been done before in movies...

fez

fez

Caporegime
Aquaman - 5.5/10 - It was good in places but poor in others. You could feel the money they had poured into CGI for this and it just didn't quite hit the mark.

Venom - 6.5/10 - Felt like the pacing was a little off and something about it just didn't fit but it was enjoyable for the most part.

Soldato
Green Book - 8/10 - A really nice watch. Can't really fault it. Interesting story, enough drama to keep it interesting, and characters you can really get behind. I don't think it'll win anything, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Lincoln - 6/10 - Pretty much exactly what I expected. A little too long, the first hour was a bit laborious. Picked up in the second half for sure. Good performances obviously!

Associate
Logan Lucky 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed this and laughed out loud on a few occasions. A little bit slow in parts so doesn't grab an 8, but a canny film nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom