Something went wrong, ordered a Mustang, yet ended up in a British hotrod, I blame OcUK!

Soldato
I think once you’ve driven the 458, you’ll be surprised at the difference between the 458 and the Huracan.

The 458 sounds a lot louder (stock) in person than it appears in videos. Classic Ferrari V8 sound. Also found it easier to get in/out, more storage under the front bonnet than the Huracan, and the interior feels a bit more roomy - higher roofline maybe.

I guess one downside is the infotainment is a little dated and more complicated to use. But then I guess the Huracan only has a glorified Audi RNS-E. Sound system seems decent in either though.

OcUK Staff
OP
I think once you’ve driven the 458, you’ll be surprised at the difference between the 458 and the Huracan.

The 458 sounds a lot louder (stock) in person than it appears in videos. Classic Ferrari V8 sound. Also found it easier to get in/out, more storage under the front bonnet than the Huracan, and the interior feels a bit more roomy - higher roofline maybe.

I guess one downside is the infotainment is a little dated and more complicated to use. But then I guess the Huracan only has a glorified Audi RNS-E. Sound system seems decent in either though.

Drove the 458 today and albeit on more involving roads all back roads mainly.

Car was a 2011 and sales guy ex tech explained 2010/2011 cars sound best because 2012
Onwards they changed baffles. It was loud in the cabin and it all just sounded natural and on over run sometimes it would gurgle, other times pop and other times rumble.

It felt a real drivers car really engaging and very analogue and again it felt light in weight, this car had buckets and forged wheels so has a weight of around 1480kg with fuel I believe so it’s light.

To drive it felt sorted like my 911 and CSL was but on yet another level, visibility was better and it felt very engaging at low speeds and whereas the Huracan you had to drive seriously quick to somewhat feel engaged the 458 was a lot of fun at legal speeds. Weather was better 10c and dry plus it had PS4S on it and I launched it in 1st just floored it and after the gear box had a moment of delay it was off, did not use LC and car was in race mode.

Drove in wet, sport and race dampening feels great but in wet mode or use bumpy road button car is shockingly good, good dampers and light car.

In a straight line the Huracan would embarrass it I also think the SVR would too, on a roll it might not be too far off though as keep it over 6000rpm and change when the 5 red light appear around 9000rpm the shifts though not as dramatic as the Huracan in Corsa mode were like a rifle bolt.

To drive it feels analogue car that is designed to be driven nothing feels fake or assisted it’s just a pure driving tool.

I’m still gonna hire a Huracan and 458 for a day each to truly decide but I think a 458 is way to go simply for that raw driving and true focus, yeah a Huracan probably leave it for dust, even a GTR would but it felt a proper pointy car that just wants to be driven.

Was also shocked how good it looked in black!

Financially I feel a 458 will hold value best compared to a Huracan and most definitely compared to a 570S. 2yr warranty is nice and of course the servicing is surprising cheap averaging £1000 per year.

The brakes were a little unassisted which takes some getting used but generally preferred as typically more feel.

Car was 139k, buckets, forged wheels, carbon at Stratstone Wilmslow with 15k miles and 4 owners.

80k down, their finance interest only was 7.8% so was £384 per month for 30 months with 59k balloon but any form of over payment allowed. I of course won’t use that as I’ve got a quote of 4% for interest free and I’d also bid them 130-135k if I went for it so be more like £250 per month for 24 months and 55k balloon which I can afford to pay off at the end.

If I did go whole hog and get a Performante then I’d remortgage as be borrowing 120k at around 2% saves a lot.

I’m thinking 458, then maybe Huracan in a couple years and then a 570S Spyder because I suspect a 458 right now will not loose more than 5-10k per year and I feel a Huracan would lose 10-15k and a McLaren 20k plus a year.

Plus cheaper servicing and warranty Ferrari offers is more attractive.

But I need to drive them both again for 24hr each before deciding!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Interesting Gibbo. Sounds like the Ferrari is more engaging along the lines of Porsche/BMW, and Lambo is more assisted like an Audi (which would make sense to a degree).

Associate
Some amazing cars your looking at. You intending this car to be your DD like the SVR?

Just wondering how your going to make it work. All the miles, leaving it places etc etc.

OcUK Staff
OP
Some amazing cars your looking at. You intending this car to be your DD like the SVR?

Just wondering how your going to make it work. All the miles, leaving it places etc etc.

Yes DD no point in having something nice and parking it.

Had a few nice cars, the Saleen always pulled in crowds and none of my cars have ever been touched or damaged, fingers crossed none of my future ones shall be.

My plan is to buy with 15k or less miles and sell 2yr later with under 30k miles and try to limit depreciation to 10k per year hence going 458 as their values seem very solid. Last NA Ferrari!

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So as I noted yesterday the 458 was nothing short of an incredible drive, it is absolutely more a drivers car and I am really thinking that is where I am going and if I am bored in a couple of years I can re-visit Huracan then when they will no doubt be in the 100-120k region for a good example as prices continue to fall due to production continuing and faster models getting released. 458 values on the other hand are holding very well especially with nice F430's being around 100k, a nice 458 is around 150k.

Here is the one I drove:

IMG_9443.jpg IMG_9391.jpg IMG_9392.jpg IMG_9393.jpg IMG_9395.jpg IMG_9394.jpg IMG_9396.jpg IMG_9397.jpg IMG_9398.jpg IMG_9447.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
And more

IMG_9452.jpg IMG_9444.jpg IMG_9449.jpg IMG_9382.jpg IMG_9519.jpg

The green 488 was interesting, nice but not a colour I'd go for, showroom was full of stunning cars, lots more photos on my instagram so go there to see them all.

Ferrari's finance quote, not so competitive but gives an idea of how much said car cost with a good deposit.

OcUK Staff
OP
Loving the green! I'm not a fan of black cars personally, too much maintenance for me, though they look stunning when clean. A proper looker though!

I was surprised how good this looked in black if honest, but I think because the spec was so good helped pull it off, the forged grey wheels, an £8000 accessory option, the bucket seats with the larger prancing horse in yellow, the yellow stitching throughout and the yellow calipers and scud shields really pulled it off and the flake in the paint was nice.

A well priced car at 139k, reckon could get a few grand of but not many as its quite well priced and only 14000 miles, the white one they had was also surprisingly really nice but it was really lacking in options but is just a 1 owner and 4000 mile car.

I do need to re-visit Huracan on better roads as this was a much better test drive, maybe even try a 580-2 on the road too as seems been RWD with mid-engine is simply not an issue for putting power down.

I think yellow is favourite in 458 with then a tie between red or black. I am quite fond of the silvers too but that real nice one I showed you has already sold, the 458's are actually selling unlike Huracans and Mclarens.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I think yellow is favourite in 458 with then a tie between red or black. I am quite fond of the silvers too but that real nice one I showed you has already sold, the 458's are actually selling unlike Huracans and Mclarens.

If you get it the classic red with cream interior, you know you will have 0 issues shifting it down the line.

I guess black / greys might be a bit easier than the less usual colors like that yellow one.

Back
Top Bottom