WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Soldato
Surely not as a surprise given the media had been “omg snow!” for the past day non stop? ;)

Yes, but that didn't seem to apply to us. There was a forecast for "heavy snow" last night, and it did snow for a couple of hours, but hardly settled - a dusting at most that had gone within hours. Whilst the rest of the country seemingly had tons. So I figured that was our lot.
Conversely, it's just been raining non-stop here all day, and no mention of snow at all in the forecast. So we headed out then found ourselves in a blizzard at the top of Bluebell Hill. Came as a bit of surprise.

Soldato
Snowing like **** here in Medway. Left the house at 5pm to visit somewhere on Bluebell hill, 15 minutes away. Took us 3 hours to get there. Ended up getting home about half an hour ago. Wasn't in the forecast, where on Earth did that come from?

Yeah my brother I law was stuck at BB Hill. I had to go get my sister from work (at a hospital near Bluewater) - really didn’t enjoy the drive. Snow was crazy, A2 down to 2 lanes and bean round about blocked by police.

Home now and so pleased, it’s not good out there. Car was a trooper.

So many idiots though, including a people carrier reversing up a slip road which joins the M2 back into the A249 which was reduced to one lane with all going single file at 20mph.

Associate
Rroff...I drive an Isuzu Dmax Blade and much to your sentiment...the vehicle means **** all unless you drive it properly...sadly my tires are standard and for anyone under the illusion that a 4x4 pick up means your safe are sadly mistaken...a 4x4 can loose it just as much as any car and with the added weight can make it worse! I see plenty of folk in 4x4 pick ups driving like dicks because they think they are untouchable! I transport 6 dogs in my pick up so I always take it easy no matter what...

Man of Honour
Rroff...I drive an Isuzu Dmax Blade and much to your sentiment...the vehicle means **** all unless you drive it properly...sadly my tires are standard and for anyone under the illusion that a 4x4 pick up means your safe are sadly mistaken...a 4x4 can loose it just as much as any car and with the added weight can make it worse! I see plenty of folk in 4x4 pick ups driving like dicks because they think they are untouchable! I transport 6 dogs in my pick up so I always take it easy no matter what...

I got the Nissan Navara V6 Outlaw with the right tyres and driving carefully it handles ice/snow pretty well - atleast the kind of conditions we get in this country.

Permabanned
lol I really do find all this funny .. this is not a winter .. 2-6 inch of snow and the whole country comes to a stand still.. I spent 7 yrs in Canada .. where it would drop 4 ft overnight ..
and every one would get up in the morning and go to work ..
government and councils need to get there **** together because over the next 15-20 yrs it's going to get worse

Soldato
lol I really do find all this funny .. this is not a winter .. 2-6 inch of snow and the whole country comes to a stand still.. I spent 7 yrs in Canada .. where it would drop 4 ft overnight ..
and every one would get up in the morning and go to work ..
government and councils need to get there **** together because over the next 15-20 yrs it's going to get worse

Crazy isnt it? It's almost as if a country where heavy snowfall occurs regularly has adapted to deal with it.

Man of Honour
Made me laugh on Thursday - people were queued out the door buying bread and milk at the local store, petrol garage on my way to work people were queued out onto the road and all lined up in their winter clothes at the till at the slightest hint of snow while many others weren't preparing in any shape and form at all - hardly anyone reacting in a proportional way. Then it was all said and done in a few hours and while we had a bit of snow it was all gone in a few hours.

Unfortunately very little hope for cold weather after tonight on the models at the moment - models trending towards mild or very mild but I suspect that will change.

Caporegime
It seems winter has finally arrived here.

A65-B77-C6-F52-C-47-AD-8369-991-D52-AADE44.png

It’s been a seemingly abnormally warm winter with a real lack of snow but we’ve finally got a decent cold snap. Should be with us for the rest of the week.

Man of Honour
"Light Snow" - probably more than we've had all winter so far here.

On the plus side the models have changed away nothing but flat weeks of mild outcomes to some mixed up runs of extremes of mild and wintery which usually means they are struggling to resolve the detail on a colder snap.

Soldato
It’s been a seemingly abnormally warm winter with a real lack of snow but we’ve finally got a decent cold snap. Should be with us for the rest of the week.

That image is a joke/parody of southern softies right ?

Semi naked man clearing snow in -43c temps and man using blow torch to thaw pipes ends up burning down house ?

Soldato
Lots of rain here this morning and all the snow has gone. The snowman I made with my son on Friday survived but has seen better days!

Man of Honour
Had to tell really - some signs of it again towards the end of the forecast range but no sign that the jet stream is being pushed away and until we see that IMO won't get anything particularly notable.

y4djrOj.png

Realistically if we are going to have some proper snow a good number of those variants of the model run need to be dropping below -10 (on the left). This is the temperature of the air mass above the country not ground level.

The real cold at the moment is locked up over Siberia and Northern Canada with no route to us.

EDIT: NAO has potential to go negative around the same time as some of those dips which would help to let in the cold.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is an utterly pathetic winter lol

Just been out in my garden in a t shirt and it’s almost warm! Gonna be like this for another fortnight apparently. Daytime temps no lower than 12 degrees.

An indications of worse weather coming or are we likely over the worst (if you can call it that) now?

Back
Top Bottom