Car ideas.....?

Associate
My 3 year personal lease is coming to an end in 6 weeks. I’ve enjoyed it but a £900 deposit, £150/month for 3 years and then £500 spent on repairs already (before assessment) is galling and more to the point, unnecessary for me to want to repeat.

I want to spend no more than £2K on a replacement car- must be 1.3L or very similar, petrol only, 3 or preferably 5 door, manual gearbox.

Was thinking Toyota Yaris but any other ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
Just work? I thought they were all knackered as I'm yet to see one go over 40mph.
Friend of mine got one when he was around 18 or so. It's a spectacular sight when you're pootling along at 30mph and a jazz is absolutely flying up behind you:D. I agree with the above though, you can't really go to far wrong with a decent Jazz or Yaris.

Soldato
I'm reliably informed that the humble Honda Jazz has spectacularly poor ride and handling and needs an entire suspension overhaul in order for it to drive in a manner that resembles acceptable.

On a serious note, you won't go far wrong with a Jazz or Yaris if you want small and cheap. Thought about a civic or micra?

Soldato
I'd go Micra but only because they look like little aggressive things. Haven't driven one since my trusty 1995 model got stolen in about 2007.

Soldato
Just work? I thought they were all knackered as I'm yet to see one go over 40mph.
Contrary to what people might believe from reading this forum, the vast majority of people just need a car that takes them to work, carries the shopping, does more than 28mpg and yes 'just works'
Real world Vs OcUK motors.

Soldato
K12 Nissan Micra. Wife had one as her first car. Bought at 1 year old 2006 or 2007 and it's still going. It ain't gonna win any prizes for looks but mechanically it's sound and very easy to repair when needed. Currently at about 100k miles and it's had a tough life.

Caporegime
Contrary to what people might believe from reading this forum, the vast majority of people just need a car that takes them to work, carries the shopping, does more than 28mpg and yes 'just works'
Real world Vs OcUK motors.

See in the real world I need a car that does more than 40 mph and I'm not convinced that a jazz does.

Soldato
I have no problem doing 60mph on the motorway in a 2004 Jazz without too much noise, 70mph increases the noise a bit. The jazz has more internal room than the yaris, the lack of any attempt at style seems to leave more room free inside.

Back
Top Bottom