*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
5-6 days a week of doing this is to much in terms of the progression curve of the program and the purpose of it and recovery time etc. Also while I am an advocate of adding in assistance exercises to Stronglifts (this was part of the original strong lifts information anyway) it should be limited to 3 assistance per day really.

With regards to deadlifting yes form is very crucial to get on point. Can you record a set or two and post it up for feedback? Plenty of knowledge on here to help. Also with deadlifts 1x5 working sets isn't enough, this is pretty much the most common point with Stronglifts as an error, do 3x5 working sets.

Back to 5-6 times training per week, you really would be suited to using the off days for light cardio work, mobility, stretching, rather then always lifting, especially as the Stronglifts program is a full body routine.

Hi Syla5, appreciate your comments. The reality I'm probably doing one of these two workouts maybe 3-4 times a week and as you say, I have some rest days and also days where I do cardio or a kettle bell/mobility focused workout. What I would say is that this is probably my third time round as a novice lifter, so some of these exercises aren't massively challenging to me, although some are. Squat, for example, I think I could increase up to 90 kg or more without worrying about it but I'm at my limit with the bench press (55 kg as of yesterday I think).

Regarding deadlifts, I have a gym induction thing tonight and I'm basically going to say, can you just go through my routine with me and tell me what I should be doing form-wise. I'll try and get a video but hopefully whoever I see will help me as feedback whilst I'm doing it will help. I take the feedback about the quantity and will up it to 3x5 working sets.

I've switched the bent rows to Pendlay rows btw. I used to do these with Stronglifts when I did the program, and just reading about them they seem much better for your lower back and should help my deadlift form.

Soldato
I would still consider dropping the amount of assistance exercises as well. The whole purpose of stronglifts is weight progression while ingraining proper form.

I would take with a pinch of salt any from advice on deadlifts from a gym induction person, unless things have changed in recent years and they have become knowledgeable and are done by PT's/Instructors it might be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Some really good information from Athlean-X on youtube about workout frequency and splits, and while you are there most of his information is pretty good, so you may as well check out a deadlift form vid from him as well.

Soldato
Hmm OK, what would you drop? I do some of them just because I enjoy them. Workout's about an hour which is nice.

I'll watch Athlean's video definitely, both kinds. But I really could do with someone standing next to me telling me what to do. I get the feeling that the induction could be done by someone knowledgeable, but I'll find out later.

Edit: feel like I mentioned it but maybe not, I might do Romanian Deadlifts for now until my lower back feels a bit more solid. I had a herniated disc about 18 months ago so it's a particular area of concern.

Last edited:
Soldato
My back is messed up again. I've booked a doctors appointment and am going to ask for a scan, in the meantime I'll see the physio/chiropractor again. I upped my deadlifts Thursday and my back felt fine until Sunday where I woke up in pain so I'm not even sure it's related to that.

I'm going to leg press instead of squatting and I guess I'll just have to give up on deadlifts for now which is a bummer. I think BJJ is the real culprit though.

Soldato
Hmm OK, what would you drop? I do some of them just because I enjoy them. Workout's about an hour which is nice.

I'll watch Athlean's video definitely, both kinds. But I really could do with someone standing next to me telling me what to do. I get the feeling that the induction could be done by someone knowledgeable, but I'll find out later.

Edit: feel like I mentioned it but maybe not, I might do Romanian Deadlifts for now until my lower back feels a bit more solid. I had a herniated disc about 18 months ago so it's a particular area of concern.

Something along the lines of the following:

Workout A

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent Over row 5x5

Dips 3x10
GHR's or RDL's 3x10
Chip Ups / Pull ups 3x10 (alternate with workout B)

Workout B

Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 3x5

Lat Pulldowns 3x10
Landmines / Cable Twist / Pallof Press 3x10 - rotate all 3 for core exercise variety
Chip Ups / Pull ups 3x10 (alternate with workout A)

I have tried to keep the assistance exercise less isolated movements and more compound, also tried to focus them around the main lifts for the days as well, so Back and Bi's / Chest and Tri's.

For the pullups / dips if you cannot do body weight then use some assistance, if you have an assist station then use that, or bands.

The focus of all the assistance exercises is nice controlled reps for every rep you do, so the last rep of the 3rd set should look as clean as the first rep of the first set. Form is crucial here and you can focus on time under tension as well.

I strongly agree that having someone there knowing what proper form is supposed to look like really helps. Are there any powerlifting coaches around you could consider speaking to?

Soldato
Something along the lines of the following:
SNIP

Thanks very much dude. Unfortunately the gym I go to has nowhere for doing dips and no assisted chin up machine (and I can probably do only one unassisted). The person I'm seeing tonight may be able to help me a bit, and I'll mention what you've said.

As I mentioned above, I did mostly take this from Ice Cream 5x5 (https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout) but added in the rows and the lat pulldown and made some other small adjustments to fit in with the kit I've actually got.

What's the risk with me doing my version?

I may be able to find a powerlifting coach actually, but let's see what this chap says later.

Soldato
Unfortunately the gym I go to has nowhere for doing dips and no assisted chin up machine (and I can probably do only one unassisted).

Firstly that's a shame, but not the end of the world, get to decathlon and get some bands and you can use a normal pullup bar with these.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/training-band-25-kg-id_8484820.html

What's the risk with me doing my version?
If it aint broke don't fix it. These programs work for a reason and have a core function, 5x5 is all about learning the correct form. More time should be spent focusing on this then worrying about fitting in all the exercises in to an hour.

The extra stuff will also add to recovery times, and the fact you go 5-6 days a week will also be having an effect especially while you are still running low on calories.

Soldato
Firstly that's a shame, but not the end of the world, get to decathlon and get some bands and you can use a normal pullup bar with these.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/training-band-25-kg-id_8484820.html

If it aint broke don't fix it. These programs work for a reason and have a core function, 5x5 is all about learning the correct form. More time should be spent focusing on this then worrying about fitting in all the exercises in to an hour.

The extra stuff will also add to recovery times, and the fact you go 5-6 days a week will also be having an effect especially while you are still running low on calories.

Thanks, I'll get one. I really like the gym I'm at - it's nice and open, airy, and not oversubscribed. The equipment is all brand new and seems nice. But they don't have a massive amount of equipment. As a lot of gyms are, it's very cardio focused.

I'm not worrying about fitting them into an hour. I just make my way round until I'm done and I haven't found myself over-tired except for maybe my lower back. I'm eating about 1850 cal right now, so hopefully that won't be too little.

To be honest, I'm feeling good about all of it right now. I just want to get the deadlifting on track!

Soldato
Whatsup @dirtychinchilla? Nice to see you on here

Congratulations on the weight loss bro!

If you don't mind travelling a bit for the gym, the one i go to is just in Shepperton and is far more focused on resistance training and free weights. The treadmill there is probably used more for holding the second door open in the summer than anything else. The place is a bit cramped but there's so much equipment that you rarely are waiting for anything, especially considering that at peak times there really is only a handful of people there anyway.

Soldato
Yo. Thanks man, congrats on the gains.

Is this Fat Al’s? I used to go to it when it was in Chertsey and I was in Ashford, but that’s years ago now. I need it to be near my house unfortunately! Don’t want any hurdles.

Man of Honour
Can finally push flat bench regularly and heavy without shoulder pain. Have ordered wrist straps, still undecided on them, but working around 120kg now, so figure the extra support will be useful.

Man of Honour
Thanks, I'll get one. I really like the gym I'm at - it's nice and open, airy, and not oversubscribed. The equipment is all brand new and seems nice. But they don't have a massive amount of equipment. As a lot of gyms are, it's very cardio focused.

I'm not worrying about fitting them into an hour. I just make my way round until I'm done and I haven't found myself over-tired except for maybe my lower back. I'm eating about 1850 cal right now, so hopefully that won't be too little.

To be honest, I'm feeling good about all of it right now. I just want to get the deadlifting on track!

The timing is actually quite important as your body's hormones can start mucking with your gains: there is no hard wall at which a person becomes catabolic through cortisol release, but keeping your cortisol response down is *probably* better rather than not; i.e. try and keep your workouts shorter than 45 minutes... Just for recovery's sake rather than anything else.

If you are looking for maximum stress in the shortest the (better for hypertrophy), then you shouldn't be resting for more than a minute between sets, anyway (30 seconds is probably good).

Compound movements give the benefits of assistance exercises if you're a relatively new or returning lifter... So I would listen to Syla5.

Soldato
Hips are definitely getting worse, feel like an old man this morning. Suspect it may be my ankle mobility, go very low on my squats and it's probably putting extra pressure on my hips.

I'll try squatting with small plates under my heels to see if that makes a difference, invest in a pair of lifting shoes after all if that's the case.

Soldato
Yo. Thanks man, congrats on the gains.

Is this Fat Al’s? I used to go to it when it was in Chertsey and I was in Ashford, but that’s years ago now. I need it to be near my house unfortunately! Don’t want any hurdles.

Thanks!

Yeah it's Fat Al's. Its a little tight for space but there is more equipment than ever and i think Al is expanding the whole gym soon after having a pretty impressive year of getting his pro natural body building card, becoming UK natty champ and then coming 2nd at the worlds.

If you ever fancy popping down, i think you can get a day pass here.

Soldato
Appreciate the offer dude. Fantastic to hear how well he’s doing and how he’s expanding. I always really liked him, and to have a good strength gym around is always great. There’s actually one closer to me, in Camberley, which I’ll check out when I feel strong enough.

Did my B routine today excluding deadlifts. I upped the reps for overhead press as I’ve seen a number of posts here encouraging volume. Went for 5x8 in the end.

Also switched to pendlay rows and they felt great actually. As I was in the right sort of position I did a really low weight deadlift set, 1x5, but I still didn’t feel very confident.

Got the guy going through the gym with me on Sunday, so we’ll see what happens.

The timing is actually quite important as your body's hormones can start mucking with your gains: there is no hard wall at which a person becomes catabolic through cortisol release, but keeping your cortisol response down is *probably* better rather than not; i.e. try and keep your workouts shorter than 45 minutes... Just for recovery's sake rather than anything else.

If you are looking for maximum stress in the shortest the (better for hypertrophy), then you shouldn't be resting for more than a minute between sets, anyway (30 seconds is probably good).

Compound movements give the benefits of assistance exercises if you're a relatively new or returning lifter... So I would listen to Syla5.

Cheers! I’ll just see how it goes. I know there are exercises I can’t drop but it can’t be bad for me spending an extra 15 minutes in the gym. As far as rests go, surely you can’t operate properly with only 30 seconds between exercises?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Weight. Volume is what causes the oxidative stress you're after. Shortening the recovery to 30-60s will probably be one of the least pleasant things you could do in the gym... but it is "good" for stimulating.

Not so good for actual strength work (I.e. 3 reps), but for gains, it is good.

Soldato
Did my B routine today excluding deadlifts. I upped the reps for overhead press as I’ve seen a number of posts here encouraging volume. Went for 5x8 in the end.

Stop adjusting the program! Keep to 5x5 for the main lifts and progress 2.5kg or 5kg (for deadlift) per session.

If you fail a set of 5x5 lifts then you keep the weight the same for the following workout, if you fail the same weight 3 workouts in a row then you need to drop back 10% on the working weight and build back up again.

Rest for 2-3 mins max between working sets on 5x5.

Keep to the basics and you will make progress.

Soldato
Get 0.5kg plates/ankle weights/whatever you can stick to the bar.

Unless you have a monster OHP already, 2.5kg jumps are likely to translate to something like a 5% increase in load, on an exercise which already uses fewer and smaller muscles than squatting or deadlifting where 2.5kg jumps won't take long to be <2.5% load increase for most. It just doesn't work for straight sets/reps past noob gains, much like trying to do dumbbell work in a narrow rep range when they tend to only go up in 5kg increments after a certain weight. Leads to lots of stalls, back-cycling and hitting the same wall over and over when you could either open up the range range (say 5-8) and move up when you've hit the top across all sets and start back with 5s, or microload with half kilo plates so your jumps are either 1kg or 1.5kg a time. Faff to carry round but very useful for upper body exercises.

Back
Top Bottom