• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I'm not rushed as such, I was just hoping to do an overall system upgraded in April. The trouble is, there's no acceptable IPS 144hz monitor on the market (coming soon, they say!) and now everyone says wait until June for the new processors.
IPS 144 Hz monitors haven't changed in about 3 years. I'm glad I got one two years ago since nothing better has come out since anyway. I guess manufacturers think the money is in 1080p 144 Hz and 2160p right now.

By the time June arrives, no doubt a new GPU will be around the corner. I know it's the way with computers, but usually it's only worth waiting for a new GPU.
Only since 2011-ish when CPU competition stagnated due to AMD's terrible Bulldozer foray. Before that new CPUs were worth waiting for just like new GPUs were.

Soldato
I don't fancy the glow + bleed monitor return merry-go-round which afflicts every AU Optronics monitor in this class. I'd have one in an instant if I knew it had gone through decent QC.
Been quite happy with my Dell S2417DG, no odd glow in dark scenes in games, nice motion clarity too.. Yes it's TN which people seem to bash quite a lot for some reason, though i like them for the great gaming perf.

Soldato
Apologies for asking a question which has no doubt been answered elsewhere, it's just that there's a lot to read through. I checked out the link in the OP and it says the new chips will have higher clocks and higher IPC. Since everyone is very excited about these new processors, I was beginning to expect the coming of the new messiah and a doubling of chip speed. Instead it looks like it's predicated to be 20-30%, which strikes me as okay but still fairly iterative.

I'd be looking at getting a mid-range chip (2600X, maybe a 2700X or new-gen equivalent). What exactly am I going to miss out on if I bought now instead of waiting until June?

The leaks suggest that the new-gen chips will have more cores as well as a higher IPC. So the new Ryzen 3 will be quicker than the current Ryzen 5. The new Ryzen 5 will be quicker than the current Ryzen 7 and the new Ryzen 7 will be in a league of its own. Then there's the Ryzen 9...

Imagine paying the cost of a Ryzen 5 but receiving a Ryzen 7. That's why we're excited - a high end chip for a mid range price.

You don't sound impressed with 20-30% improvement after just one year. Nvidia gains about 40% every two years which is only 20% per year and they sell like hot cakes. I'm not sure where this 20-30% came from though, it's good, but I'm expecting well over 50%.

Soldato
You don't sound impressed with 20-30% improvement after just one year. Nvidia gains about 40% every two years which is only 20% per year and they sell like hot cakes. I'm not sure where this 20-30% came from though, it's good, but I'm expecting well over 50%.

The OP link said 10-15% higher clocks and 10-15% higher IPC. I realise the two would likely combine as a multiplier, but I used 20-30% for ease. In terms of these improvements coming over the course of one year, it doesn't really affect my purchasing decision, since I'm upgrading a much older CPU. If I waited off buying a 2600X for six months and the replacement was only 20% faster, I would be a little bit bothered that I'd hung on. If the new chips were a big jump (as everyone is telling me in response), then it's probably worth my while holding off.

Soldato
I don't fancy the glow + bleed monitor return merry-go-round which afflicts every AU Optronics monitor in this class. I'd have one in an instant if I knew it had gone through decent QC.
Well you'll be waiting forever to get a monitor that has a 100% no glow, many monitors are great just some have been churned out with poor QC, most seem good though, and if you need to you can return it.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
The OP link said 10-15% higher clocks and 10-15% higher IPC. I realise the two would likely combine as a multiplier, but I used 20-30% for ease. In terms of these improvements coming over the course of one year, it doesn't really affect my purchasing decision, since I'm upgrading a much older CPU. If I waited off buying a 2600X for six months and the replacement was only 20% faster, I would be a little bit bothered that I'd hung on. If the new chips were a big jump (as everyone is telling me in response), then it's probably worth my while holding off.

it's far bigger than intel has ever given between generations. You're lucky if you get 5%, let alone 20%

Soldato

Yes 20-30% accounts for the higher IPC and higher clocks but once you add on the 50% extra cores it comes to about 70-80%. It probably wont end up being that high but I'd hate to buy a second gen and then regret it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Waiting for X570 will also net you PCIe 4.0, which is probably quite nice for a long-term system. Bumps to PCIe and DDR versions used to be the best times to upgrade and DDR5 won't appear in consumer platforms for at least two years I reckon.

Man of Honour
It has been said by people closer to sources than I that some x370 and x470 boards will be PCIe gen 4 compatible with a bios flash - for the topmost PCIe slot only.

//found it : https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pcie-4.0-motherboard,38401.html

from the article:
We spoke with AMD representatives, who confirmed that 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards can support PCIe 4.0. AMD will not lock the out feature, instead it will be up to motherboard vendors to validate and qualify the faster standard on its motherboards on a case-by-case basis.
IE it's unlikely that all boards will be compatible.

Associate
from the article:
We spoke with AMD representatives, who confirmed that 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards can support PCIe 4.0. AMD will not lock the out feature, instead it will be up to motherboard vendors to validate and qualify the faster standard on its motherboards on a case-by-case basis.
IE it's unlikely that all boards will be compatible.
It is down to the length of the traces which is why it will likely be limited to top slots given their proximity to the CPU.

I really doubt that mobo manufacturers will cannibalise their own sales by offering a new BIOS that enables PCIe4 on existing boards...at least not immediately. The only exception I see is on X470 if the X570s aren't ready at Ryzen 3000 launch; it'd be embarrassing for them to end up in that position though I think.
Though I suppose that if one manufacturer does it, the rest must follow.

Soldato
I really doubt that mobo manufacturers will cannibalise their own sales by offering a new BIOS that enables PCIe4 on existing boards...at least not immediately. The only exception I see is on X470 if the X570s aren't ready at Ryzen 3000 launch; it'd be embarrassing for them to end up in that position though I think.
Though I suppose that if one manufacturer does it, the rest must follow.
I could see brands doing it to build some loyalty - customers are more likely to return to a brand in the future when they know they will get good support for a product

Back
Top Bottom