• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
I have been missing my old 290x over the last 2 days as the boiler packed up and it would have been keeping my room nice and warm, its all fixed now and lucky it could be repaired as 2.5 - 4k for a new boiler would mean no new graphics card for me for a few months.. I'm hoping this card is good as really dont want to pay Nvidia prices.

Associate
Since there is like only 5000 globally at launch this is to be expected. This is a PR stunt
Only 2% of the global stock for us. I guess well over 50% must be going to the USA then? How much did other european countries get?

With only 44 at OCuk they will surely be fully sold out almost straight away.
Whenever I buy from Ocuk I have to battle with my banks secure pay thingy (I hardly see it and can never remember the password).
Now I'm worried that it will be in stock when I add to basket but by the time I compete the payment it will be sold out.
Next wave shipments are not yet confirmed.
If at 1:50pm I don't remember to drop what I'm doing and load up overclockers I will be kicking myself, especially if it's weeks till the next shipment.

Soldato
I'm hoping this card is good as really dont want to pay Nvidia prices.

You realise that every indication is that the Radeon 7 will perform more or less equally to an nVidia 2080 and for about the same price? However it ends up, the new card isn't being pitched as a bargain product.

Associate
You realise that every indication is that the Radeon 7 will perform more or less equally to an nVidia 2080 and for about the same price? However it ends up, the new card isn't being pitched as a bargain product.

Actually if it is £650 only the cheapest 2080 with a low boost clock will match the price if it is more than £650 you have a point. I am not a fan boi I buy the best at the price point I am willing to pay. I have swapped between Nvidia and AMD many times over the years.

Soldato
Actually if it is £650 only the cheapest 2080 with a low boost clock will match the price if it is more than £650 you have a point. I am not a fan boi I buy the best at the price point I am willing to pay. I have swapped between Nvidia and AMD many times over the years.

I think the market is definitely ready for a competitive AMD product and I would be more than pleased to buy one, however if the stock is as limited as Gibbo says I can't imagine the Radeon 7 will be going cheap.

Associate
I think the market is definitely ready for a competitive AMD product and I would be more than pleased to buy one, however if the stock is as limited as Gibbo says I can't imagine the Radeon 7 will be going cheap.

I think that is why AMD are going to sell direct so retailers cannot price gouge due to limited stock.

Permabanned
Navi has always been expected to be Vega 64 + 15% for $250.

No it hasn't, Navi is & has always been a Polaris replacement not a high end replacement, You need to stop reading fake leak sites like WCCFTech.

And historical records what die shrinks bring...

Historical records?

When we got Polaris it was a die shrink from 28nm to 14nm and it was slower than the 28nm high-end Fiji cards, It actually came in at around Hawaii/Grenada performance which was the 300 series mid to high end cards depending on if you class the Fury cards as part of that range. .

HeX

HeX

Soldato
No it hasn't, Navi is & has always been a Polaris replacement not a high end replacement, You need to stop reading fake leak sites like WCCFTech.

It's a Polaris replacement yes, but that doesn't mean it'll perform the same. I'd fully expect Navi launched this year to be at least Vega 56 speed, and realistically Vega 64 performance at a price close to RX 590 to be a decent generational jump.

If all we get from Navi is Vega 56 performance and Vega 56 price at a slightly lower power consumption it'll be a massive letdown.

It's either going to have to be a solid performance uplift, or a very good price point. Or preferably, both!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Live feed of @Gibbo 's reaction:

You do realise this used to be the norm right? Previous generation top end performance would become the mainstream performance level at mainstream price. It's only in recent years that nVidia have started to move the goal posts.

Your post just goes to show how nVidia have managed to shift consumer perspective and people now think this is a ludicrous prospect.

Soldato
You do realise this used to be the norm right? Previous generation top end performance would become the mainstream performance level at mainstream price. It's only in recent years that nVidia have started to move the goal posts.

Your post just goes to show how nVidia have managed to shift consumer perspective and people now think this is a ludicrous prospect.

recent year(s), yes. Assuming the market returns to performance gains of old for your £££ is a bit of a stretch, isnt it?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
recent year(s), yes. Assuming the market returns to performance gains of old for your £££ is a bit of a stretch, isnt it?

I honestly can't see AMD releasing a Navi card with Vega 56 performance at £300 in Q4'19... it'd be the most pointless release as you can have that performance right now.

It's either going to have to be something like Vega 56 performance for £200, or Vega 64 performance for £300 to make it even worthwhile.

If they really want to get some market share back they are going to have to do something crazy, hence the Vega 64 performance at ~£250 I suggested.

They've done it before with the 4000 series, and the GPU market is severely due a re-balance much like Ryzen did with CPU pricing!

I guy can hope :D

Back
Top Bottom