Liam Neeson race row - he wanted to kill a black man!

Soldato
Sky News said:
John Barnes: 'Liam Neeson deserves a medal'

Ex-footballer John Barnes has praised Liam Neeson for speaking the 'truth' about his feelings after the actor admitted that he wanted to 'kill a black man' after a close friend of his was raped.

Caporegime
@Nelly Good to see someone speaking out in his defence with entirely salient points.
Lambasting a man who admitted he had a problem and had done wrong (but thankfully hadn't hurt anyone) does not do any good whatsoever. Talking about these problems, bringing them out in the open does.

Permabanned
I think John Barnes needs a round of applause for not jumping on the race card wagon and playing the holier than you position than many are very quick to do.

It just shows how easy it is to play a story without context to whip up mass hysteria.

Soldato
The fact the first question was 'What colour was he' after finding out she didn't know who it was speaks volumes!

He is/was a flat out racist, the whole J. Barnes excuse that it's the media/society's fault carries some weight for the young and impressionable and also the ignorant & thick among us but for an intelligent person it holds little weight as he should have known better imho.

Soldato
The fact the first question was 'What colour was he' after finding out she didn't know who it was speaks volumes!

He is/was a flat out racist, the whole J. Barnes excuse that it's the media/society's fault carries some weight for the young and impressionable and also the ignorant & thick among us but for an intelligent person it holds little weight as he should have known better imho.

I love how you talk about intelligent people knowing better yet can't tell the difference between the actions of someone 40 years ago vs what he's said and thinks now.

Good on John Barnes for using his brain and seeing past the emotional response.

Caporegime
On reflection - and listening to an awful lot of bile against him on the radio today - I think he actually said this to start a conversation in which he’s succeeded and he’s put his hands up to something he did - in the much ignored context of revenge, the subject of his new film - which clearly he shouldn’t have, but, the fact he has put this in the spotlight (although Lord knows why) , hopefully will perhaps make someone in a similar situation in the future stop & think before taking action.....?

He’s basically saying he did something 40 years ago when times and attitudes were very different and realised a week later how wrong he was and was appalled at his own actions.

He didn’t have to say it, he has, took balls to do so given the potential career and reputational suicide by doing so, and is asking us all to take a hard look at ourselves.

Either that or he’s just decided to say to the world “hey I’m a racist, my new film launches in a few days....”

Hmm....

Soldato
Headline of the Daily Star today: "Liam Neeson in racist murder plot". I guess the tabloids didn't have much to exaggerate on this one.

But well said John Barnes, finally someone talking some sense.

Soldato
I love how you talk about intelligent people knowing better yet can't tell the difference between the actions of someone 40 years ago vs what he's said and thinks now.

Good on John Barnes for using his brain and seeing past the emotional response.

Ohhh please.....
If he was that ashamed of it he would have taken it too the grave rather than dragging it back up 40 years later!
Also you might want to note that I put 'is/was racist', of course people can change and I sincerely hope he has. That doesn't change the FACT that what he did back then was text book racism and trying to use the fact his Northern Irish as an excuse is utterly pathetic

sMTsD2G.png

44siYXW.png

Last edited:
Soldato
White Girl Bleed a Lot: The Return of Racial Violence to America and How the Media Ignore It is a 2012 book by Colin Flaherty

Suggested reading for some of you.

Caporegime
Sounds like complete keyboard warrior rubbish TBH, and it will come back to (quite rightly) bite him on the arse. So many of these 'celebs' seem to live in a bubble, and are very self destructive.
He could have just blown his career with these comments.

he's from a rough area in ireleand where there was a lot of trouble the only keyboard warrior here is you. i have no doubt he would have done someone in with a cosh. you can tell just by the type of words he's using he wasn't brought up in a bubble.

Back
Top Bottom