• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Soldato
No it hasn't, Navi is & has always been a Polaris replacement not a high end replacement, You need to stop reading fake leak sites like WCCFTech.

Polaris replacement doesn't mean Polaris performance. In fact, the AdoredTV Navi leak actually make a lot of sense when put alongside the Radeon 7:

RX 3060 = RX 580/GTX 1060
RX 3070 = Vega 56/GTX 1070/RTX 2060
RX 3080 = Vega 64 + 15%/GTX 1080/RTX 2070
Radeon VII = Vega 64 + 25%/GTX 1080 Ti/RTX 2080

The only issue now is the leaked prices no longer make sense. I can entirely believe that AMD intended to be disruptive in the marketplace and have RRP as low as the leak, which would return some sanity to the midrange GPU prices, but now they have free reign to bump the prices up because of the same circumstances that (I believe) allowed Radeon VII to be a thing in the first place.

For example, a RX 3080 at $250 would have been great (and let's be honest, that's what GTX 1080 performance should cost in 2019), but there's no way an additional 10% performance going up to Radeon VII is worth a $450 premium, even with the 16GB HBM. As a result I can see AMD slapping another $100 or so onto the leaked Navi prices to bring things a bit more in line.

Which is a shame, because I for one am not paying $350-400 for GTX 1080 performance towards the ass end of 2019.

I would very much like to be proven wrong though, especially as I feel there's a bigger Navi waiting in the wings (i.e. the leaked RX 3080 is a cut-down Navi 10, which leaves a full-fat Navi 10 to replace the Radeon VII). But I've spoken about this a few times before, I shan't repeat myself.

Permabanned
Polaris replacement doesn't mean Polaris performance. In fact, the AdoredTV Navi leak actually make a lot of sense when put alongside the Radeon 7:

The only issue now is the leaked prices no longer make sense. I can entirely believe that AMD intended to be disruptive in the marketplace and have RRP as low as the leak, which would return some sanity to the midrange GPU prices, but now they have free reign to bump the prices up because of the same circumstances that (I believe) allowed Radeon VII to be a thing in the first place.

For example, a RX 3080 at $250 would have been great (and let's be honest, that's what GTX 1080 performance should cost in 2019), but there's no way an additional 10% performance going up to Radeon VII is worth a $450 premium, even with the 16GB HBM. As a result I can see AMD slapping another $100 or so onto the leaked Navi prices to bring things a bit more in line.

Which is a shame, because I for one am not paying $350-400 for GTX 1080 performance towards the ass end of 2019.

I would very much like to be proven wrong though, especially as I feel there's a bigger Navi waiting in the wings (i.e. the leaked RX 3080 is a cut-down Navi 10, which leaves a full-fat Navi 10 to replace the Radeon VII). But I've spoken about this a few times before, I shan't repeat myself.

Can they not discontinue the VII before Navi arrives?

Associate

totally agree;):p

Caporegime
Nah I both won't ha e those performance values andwont have those prices.

There is nothing disruptive coming form AMD, just another iteration where price-performance increases slightly.

The prices that Adored made up are simply not realistic given 7nm and GDDR6. Prices are going up, not down. For prices to down than die sizes have to decrease a lot and then performance goes down.

Top Have will be rx590 + 25-30% tops. Prices won't shift downwards much.

Associate
The prices that Adored made up are simply not realistic given 7nm and GDDR6. Prices are going up, not down. For prices to down than die sizes have to decrease a lot and then performance goes down.

Glad someone else thinks this. I haven't seen a tech writer/tuber that actually works in the commercial electronics industry. I'm sure there are a few, just haven't found them yet.

Anyways, estimates for these sorts of cards are hard enough when you have direct supplier agreements and tons of prior experience/data on the costs, let alone when you're just making it up like this lot are.

Underboss
i just googled "AMD"

this came up
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4238190-amd-share-gain-story

Summary
AMD will continue to take market share in 2019 with launch of 7nm chips.

Server CPU market share still on pace to reach 10% around the end of 2019.

The company needs to update their long-term financial model shifting EPS guidance from $0.75 to $1.25.

My projections still expect a $1.50 EPS target for 2020.

2019 product portfolio highlights:

• Gaming - launch high end Radeon 7 GPU in February including Google game streaming initiative.
  • Client computing mobile - 2nd generation Ryzen mobile processors growing notebook systems launch plans by 50%.
  • Client computing desktop - launching 3rd generation 7nm Ryzen desktop processors mid-year.
  • Server - delivering step function performance increase with next generation 7nm Rome processors mid year to reach 10% market share.

Underboss
OK I've sent request into warehouse and marketing, they saying should be fine, once they get photos I will post up once I've checked with AMD I won't be breaking any NDA by doing so but I can't see that it would as there are pictures all over the web and I am there no.1 customer. :D

now i understand,

just went to the AMD website, and i clicked on a vega 64 and it tells me to buy it from OcUK, no other shops was listed
thats dominance right there :D

Caporegime
Glad someone else thinks this. I haven't seen a tech writer/tuber that actually works in the commercial electronics industry. I'm sure there are a few, just haven't found them yet.

Anyways, estimates for these sorts of cards are hard enough when you have direct supplier agreements and tons of prior experience/data on the costs, let alone when you're just making it up like this lot are.

Beyond3d forums, kind of defunct, but there are people who have worked for AMD and Nvidia, and others very knowledgeable about this space. And lots od interetsed people with less exoexerience but no bias. And a fe of the typical biased people

You get a lot of boring details. It you can also see what the cliestvwe get to inside experts think.

Soldato
Can they not discontinue the VII before Navi arrives?

Why? There's nothing to suggest Navi has anything to match the RTX 2080. My suggested full-fat Navi is purely logical deduction based on tenuous leaks, i.e. totally baseless :p

Let's be honest, Radeon 7 is a PR stunt that's only happened because Nvidia left the door open with relatively poor raster performance and high prices with the RTX line. If a full-fat Navi 10 can bring RTX 2080 performance (i.e. RX 3090 to follow the nomenclature from the leaks) then AMD will bin off Radeon 7 because they have a proper - and viable - product to slot into that performance bracket.

But even then Navi is a stop-gap design, Arcturus is where AMD start their road back. Anything before 2020 is filler and getting their house in order.

Associate
Well the next gen will be the interesting one, I was 100% in the green corner with my 1080Ti but if people are actually honest the first gen of RTX cards were the worst we've had from Nvidia from the massively inflated prices to the quality control on their flagship card.

When it comes to AMD I've had my fingers burned all too often and they were never quite there so I've stayed away but if the Radeon VII has a good launch and shows good numbers then we could have a two horse race again.

Permabanned
As of tomorrow we should have 58 in stock, more than half! :)
You even made it to Polish IT news. We assumed they made like 3k of them cards 1k to send for reviews and 2k to sell ;)
I'll be hones dont think they need to produce many of them at the RRP only hardcore fans like My mate will want one and he just wants it for fun :p

Permabanned

I'll say it again, I haven't said it will have Polaris performance, it won't, it will be faster, It's replacing the Polaris range not matching it.

I never said Navi was going to offer the same performance as Polaris I said to expect a similar jump in performance as we saw from Polaris when moving from 28nm to 14nm. We know Navi is still a GCN architecture and we can make an educated guess at what that'll mean for Navi compared to Vega. As I said 7nm Navi may offer 14nm Vega speeds maybe even V64 speeds if we're lucky but it won't match the VII from the top spot & it definitely won't come offering V64 + 20, 40, 60 percent as quoted above, not a chance in hell.

Back
Top Bottom