World Cancer Day : Stem Cell Donors

Associate
Today is World Cancer Day. Normally this would pass me by without a second thought. However, recently a friend and my daughter have both been identified as needing Stem Cell Transplants.

In the UK only 2% of people are registered as stem cell donors (9% in Germany & 12% in Israel).

My friend in his mid 60's found a donor from Israel, had his transplant in Dec 2018 and is making progress. My daughter in her early 20's has a German donor and is due for her transplant later this month.

The life changing effect of such a "genetic rebirth" provided by a Stem Cell Transplant cannot be understated.

Sadly young men are underrepresented on the register at 16% but they provide over 55% of all donations.

As a somewhat male dominated forum I thought I'd gently raise the thought that being a Stem Cell Donor could be a possibility for some members.

If you fancy being a donor or are just curious have a look at https://www.anthonynolan.org/

Soldato
I joined early 2016, got matched to someone and donated all in the same year. Donating is super easy, painless and doesn't involve big needles in your hip. More men really are needed, especially those from ethnic minorities.

Caporegime
I registered a couple of years a go but not been called yet.

My partner's Mum has multiple myeloma, she had an auto last year but unfortunately was only in remission for just under 6 months. She has started the process of an allogenic transplant at the start of the year. 4 or so intense sessions of chemo, then she'll have an auto transplant against and then the allo. Annoyingly both her two sisters were not a match, but they've managed to find matches with people from around the world. Belgium, 2 in the USA and 2 people from Brazil.

Soldato
More deets on the process please.

The short version is you send off for a kit, fill it with spit and pop it in the post. They then add you to the database.

If you are a potential match for someone then they will call/text/email you asking if you want to carry on with further testing. If you agree then they send you a blood collection kit in the post which you take to your GP and they collect the sample from you. I think it's about 7 small vials. You put this in the post and they will do more testing. I did this in July 2016.

If you are a confirmed match then they will ask you to go for a medical at the hospital (London for me) where they give you a through checkup (blood/urine samples taken, chest x-ray, ECG (or EKG, not sure which). This will take the best part of a day. This was in October 2016.

If everything is good to go then you will be given a donation date and you will start with the granulocyte colony-stimulating factor injections 4 days before this. A nurse will come to you to do these at home or work whatever's best for you. Some people will get flu like symptoms from these. I just had a little back ache.

On donation day (early November 2016) you are hooked up to what I think is basically a dialysis machine. The blood is taken from one arm (which you need to keep straight as the catheter goes in at the elbow, but it's easy just resting it on a pillow) and goes back in the other (you will have more movement of this arm). The whole process takes about 4-5 hours. Sometimes people have to do a second day if they don't get enough stem cells that day. I only did the one day. I doesn't hurt at all and you get to check out the fit nurses for 4-5 hours. ;)

Hopefully that covers it. :D

Caporegime

That's for 9/10 people though, 1/10 apparently end up donating bone marrow instead according to the site?

I don't think I'm suitable for this (at least not at the moment) as I've got a chronic condition that currently isn't curably (though may be in a couple of year) and take regular medication for it.

It is interesting to find out about stuff like this though so thanks for sharing, it is something I'd certainly consider in future if a cure for Crohn's is found. I can't even give blood via the regular blood donation services at the moment.

Man of Honour
I would be happy to but unfortunately I'm not able to donate blood due to previous Illness. So I doubt I can donate stem cells.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
As a regular blood donor and registered on the bone marrow list, this was something I was keen to sign up for unfortunately the upper age limit is 30. Me and my wife signed up with https://www.dkms.org.uk/en couple of quick eligibility questions and personal details and we received the swab packs within a week.

Associate
I give blood and I'm a stem cell donor, getting an appointment to give blood these days is pretty hard mind, they send me a letter saying they desperate for stock then say that all available appointments are full, got turned away 3 times when I go drop in so I'm kind of giving up.

Man of Honour
The short version is you send off for a kit, fill it with spit and pop it in the post. They then add you to the database.

If you are a potential match for someone then they will call/text/email you asking if you want to carry on with further testing. If you agree then they send you a blood collection kit in the post which you take to your GP and they collect the sample from you. I think it's about 7 small vials. You put this in the post and they will do more testing. I did this in July 2016.

If you are a confirmed match then they will ask you to go for a medical at the hospital (London for me) where they give you a through checkup (blood/urine samples taken, chest x-ray, ECG (or EKG, not sure which). This will take the best part of a day. This was in October 2016.

If everything is good to go then you will be given a donation date and you will start with the granulocyte colony-stimulating factor injections 4 days before this. A nurse will come to you to do these at home or work whatever's best for you. Some people will get flu like symptoms from these. I just had a little back ache.

On donation day (early November 2016) you are hooked up to what I think is basically a dialysis machine. The blood is taken from one arm (which you need to keep straight as the catheter goes in at the elbow, but it's easy just resting it on a pillow) and goes back in the other (you will have more movement of this arm). The whole process takes about 4-5 hours. Sometimes people have to do a second day if they don't get enough stem cells that day. I only did the one day. I doesn't hurt at all and you get to check out the fit nurses for 4-5 hours. ;)

A lot of companies I've worked for aren't very accommodating for something like that - unless it is a real emergency taking the time out, etc. would need booking with firm dates and so on well in advance. Which probably is one factor that puts people off.

Associate
I would be happy to but unfortunately I'm not able to donate blood due to previous Illness. So I doubt I can donate stem cells.
You can still donate stem cells. I cannot donate blood but can donate stem cells - i’ve Signed up. My partner had leukaemia thus, I know the importance of available doners.

Back
Top Bottom