Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Just been out for my first run since I did 14 last Sunday.

My knee has felt a bit weak and with the ice and snow I decided to not risk it.

Felt ok. Only a short run but was good to be back out. Feels like it’s been ages!

You did 14mins for 5k or 14 miles?

Soldato
Haha yes, i have that issue too as my Spotify account is linked to all the Google Home devices in the house.

Although think i also got hacked as had absolutely loads of weird suggestions recently and in my recently played list. Quick change of password seems to have stopped that though.

Associate
In other news, I did 12k last night without really breaking any HR limits and then when I got home, discovered that I was 6 mins quicker on that route than when I last did it (Way back in 2017)

2017 Avg HR was 145
2019 Avg HR was 148

I would say that I felt loads better after last night than back in 2017. What the average doesn't show is that the HR is much smoother now compared to being very peaky in 2017.

Associate
I've increased it over the past ~ 8 months from about 25-35/week. I run most days now (compared to 3-4 times a week back then), and follow the 80/20 formula pretty strictly (probably less than 20% high intensity stuff typically). As an older runner (47) I've been surprised at how fresh I feel on this higher mileage/frequency.

Caporegime
What watch do you use if you don't mind me asking?

I use a garmin 934. Main reason is 24hr battery life and can recharge on the run for long ultras.

Has a 920 before that which was almost as good but couldn't charge while recording .

Before that a 620, perfect for cssusk running.

At each upgrade GPS accuracy declined. That is s bummer

Soldato
That's a shame about accuracy.

@Yucca for me it depends on the type of training your doing. If you're doing intervals, then as @D.P. says you don't want an optical one as they're slow to react to changes in activity. If you just want to generally track HR over long steady runs to get a rough idea of your HR zone i don't think they're too bad.

Soldato
Can someone spec me a pair of trainers, I don't want a gait analysis either. I'm looking at Brookes Ghost, Addidas Supernov NT and Nike pegasus. It's for 5k on the road. Want light, bit spongy and ideally as long lasting as possible, although that seems impossible nowadays.

Associate
Can someone spec me a pair of trainers, I don't want a gait analysis either. I'm looking at Brookes Ghost, Addidas Supernov NT and Nike pegasus. It's for 5k on the road. Want light, bit spongy and ideally as long lasting as possible, although that seems impossible nowadays.

I use Ghosts as my general purpose shoes. I can recommend them. Should be getting a new pair of Ghost11's this week, they've been out of stock for months! My Ghost 10s have done over 600 miles now, and are starting to feel a bit flat, the tread is ok and the upper looks new.

They are not super light. If want to compromise some comfort for weight look at Brooks HyperIon, Adidas Adios, Nike Zoom FlyKnit

I would advise you get your gait checked though. You are looking at natural shoes, if you pronate at all you'll end up with a shoe that's going to cause you problems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom