No display issue, faulty RAM? - MEGA riddle

Associate
Dear overclockers

You are my last hope to resolve this. Really hoping someone experienced similar issues.

Lets start with parts involved.
Motherboard MSI Z97M-G43
CPU - i5 4690k
RAM - G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX 2400MHz 2x8 GB DDR3
PSU G550M Cooler MAster
GPU GTX970

Issue:
no display

Using different RAM solves the problem but......

The very same RAM G.Skill used originally - works on my Z97 maximus VII with i7 4790 as well as tested on ASUS B85M-G. On both occasions it runs with no issues.

First I thought it may be voltage issue since it is 1.65v RAM and the CPU runs at 1.5 but used another set of RAM Kingston HyperX KHX24C11T3K2/8X also 2400MHz and this one runs fine.

Enabled XMP running at 2400MHZ - no issues.

Tested on different slots, single, double, put other stick, reinserted G.Skill, reset bios to defaults, removed battery, performed full reset, been draining capacitors with unplugged power and shorting power pins for 30secs. tried with GPU and without.

I really don't know what can be wrong here, any help appreciated.

Look forward to your replies.

Associate
Not sure this helps but I had simillar problem with two different GTX970, black screen no matter what I did, other cards worked with no problems, send it for RMA and they said there is no problem with gpu. I remember when GTX 970 came out there was a lot of threads about black screen.

Associate
OP
It was tested without gpu as well as with different gpu. Gpu is not an issue for sure :(

I did not ch3ck BIOS version, ill give that a go, cant believe i forgot about that. It was recently purchased mobo so a good chance bios is not up to date

Thabk you for all replies so far

Associate
OP
ok. Upgraded BIOS finally and the RAM worked fine no issues. Thank you for the advice.
however..... the GTX970 started playing up with black screen lol.
Other cards working fine no issues, only the GPU won't go into windows. Black screen on the loading screen and nothing happens.

Was there a solution to this problem at all?

Associate
OP
Hi
Yeah, ill be testing the card on other rig later this week. Gave it back to my mate with 1060 for now to test for a few days. There was windows on it already.
Think8ng abiut deactivating the integrated gpu first and another clean install of drivers. Not sure what he had there as only had 40min to play with it.

Never had an issue with 970s either

Back
Top Bottom