What film did you watch last night?

Associate
How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) - 7/10

An entertainingly fun adventure which nicely wraps up the franchise with some moments of real heart.

The story is good, although the comedy and villain are both lacking, and although there are some moments of wonder and awe, a lot more could have been done with the Hidden World.

It’s colourful and fast paced with a likeable range of characters, but never elevates to greatness.

Soldato
Watched the first Scoody Doo movie about a week ago, with the kids. Wasn't expecting much but, actually, it was pretty good fun. I liked it and the kids (8 and 5) thought it was hilarious.

We started the 2nd one last night - about halfway through. So far, it's really not great. Hoping it picks up a bit.

Soldato
Polar - 6/10. Really enjoyed this and more than I thought I would after seeing the reviews. The main negative for me, as others have mentioned is Matt Lucas was a terrible choice for the main villain, it completely took me out of what was otherwise an enjoyable film.

Unbreakable - 8/10. Very decent and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching Split next.

Caporegime
Michael Inside on Netflix. Irish prison drama, relentlessly grim but well acted. 6/10
Watched this last night. Agree with your comment. It's so grim throughout. Not a moment of cheer or hope in it, just grim. But well acted, particularly by the actor who plays his grandfather. Can see why it is well reviewed, but it was a hard film to really enjoy and certainly one I won't rewatch. 6/10 for me too.

Soldato
Overlord - a sci-fi/supersoldier/zombie'ish spin on around the d-day landings and the german experimentation during WW2. It has the same feel as Dusk Til Dawn in that the first half of the movie could easily convince you it was a regular film before going a bit nuts.

Nothing that hasn't been done before many times in different films but comes together well and is surprisingly good fun, well paced, never gets boring, decent bit of tension, violence and action.

7.5/10.

Soldato
Anthropoid 6/10 (freeview last night) poor remake/glamorization of the original/better film Operation Daybreak, all action rather than characterization.

Liked the slow-mo at the end though .. gave me a yearning to find/watch The Iron Cross (Peckinpah) again, and (google reminded me) its predecessor Wild bunch,
which, it turns out, preceeds Butch Cassidy&SD

Associate
Sicario 2 - 6/10

Really enjoyed the first one. This one, not so much. The story felt very 'convenient' at times. The first one is much better in my opinion. Still, it has some good moments.

Soldato
Vice 7/10

Great perfomances but damn it was preachy. Was Cheney really as bad as this film made out? It had a very left biased feel to it so i took a lot of the “Cheney is the devil” moments with a pinch of salt. I mean, did he really contribute to California fires?

Caporegime
Mortal Engines.

It's the future, and everything's gone to ****! 1,000 years ago there was some kind of world war that wiped out pretty much everything within the space of 60 minutes, and reshaped the entire globe by smashing most of its continents. Oh noes!

Human civilisation has been reduced to a fragile existence amidst a steampunk world with a hint of dieselpunk. So... stieselpunk? :p

Cities and towns across Europe now exist as mobile fortresses, battling each other for dwindling resources. London is the biggest of them all: a super-predator that literally devours smaller settlements.

But what about Washington DC? Well as far as I can tell the USA has been completely destroyed, so that's a refreshing and highly welcome development. :D

Meanwhile, everyone who can be loosely classified under the generously broad umbrella of 'Asian' lives in a rich, peaceful, and well established nation behind the safety of a giant wall. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's this girl who hates Hugo Weaving because he killed her mother

although it looks like he's her father(?!) which for some strange reason she doesn't realise until she's about to kill him

so that makes it all a bit awkward in a Star Wars-y kind of way.

Her mother gave her the MacGuffin that everyone spends most of the movie looking for, but the plot won't let her know what it is until the last 10 minutes of the movie, despite the fact that the one guy she's been running around with all this time had worked it out in the first half hour. :confused:

Unusually, Mortal Engines is more accurate than the book it's based on (a rare occurrence) which came as a pleasant surprise.

Is it worth watching? Absolutely. The aesthetic is gorgeous, the costumes are superb, the special effects are on point, Hugo Weaving chews scenery with tremendous gusto, and the world building is solid.

I rate Mortal Engines at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a respectable 7/10 on IMDB.

Soldato
A Star is Born - 9/10

What a fantastic film. I really wasn't bothered about watching it as I really didn't think it would be my sort of film, however after making the missus watch First Man, it was her turn to choose. Great performances by all of the actors and I was actually gutted at the end. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about at all and I'd glad I made the effort to watch it!

Soldato
Watched the first Scoody Doo movie about a week ago, with the kids. Wasn't expecting much but, actually, it was pretty good fun. I liked it and the kids (8 and 5) thought it was hilarious.

We started the 2nd one last night - about halfway through. So far, it's really not great. Hoping it picks up a bit.
2nd Scooby Doo didn't pick up much. Definitely think the first is a much better family movie.

Soldato
A Star is Born - 9/10

What a fantastic film. I really wasn't bothered about watching it as I really didn't think it would be my sort of film, however after making the missus watch First Man, it was her turn to choose. Great performances by all of the actors and I was actually gutted at the end. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about at all and I'd glad I made the effort to watch it!

I mostly agree, watched it the other night begrudgingly as wife wanted to watch it and really enjoyed it. Bradley Cooper has proved himself as immensely talented on multiple fronts and shockingly, Gaga is a really good actress.

I had certain frustrations in that it leaps along a little too fast in the mid part with her rise to fame and didn't really focus on his life changing issues and the childhood that led to his fall out with the brother enough.

I'd personally give it an 8/10 but not sure if it's a movie i'll watch again. Also Shallow is getting played 4/5 times a day on the work radio and i'm starting to detest it.

Soldato
The missus seems to have the soundtrack on repeat at the moment so it's getting annoying. At least it means the Greatest Showman soundtrack has been forgotten about!

As I read this another bloody Greatest Showman song has come on the radio, haven't seen it yet but the soundtrack alone has put me off.

Caporegime
A Star is Born - 9/10

Agreed. Great performances, great movie.

Mortal Engines.

It's the future, and everything's gone to ****! 1,000 years ago there was some kind of world war that wiped out pretty much everything within the space of 60 minutes, and reshaped the entire globe by smashing most of its continents. Oh noes!

Human civilisation has been reduced to a fragile existence amidst a steampunk world with a hint of dieselpunk. So... stieselpunk? :p

Cities and towns across Europe now exist as mobile fortresses, battling each other for dwindling resources. London is the biggest of them all: a super-predator that literally devours smaller settlements.

But what about Washington DC? Well as far as I can tell the USA has been completely destroyed, so that's a refreshing and highly welcome development. :D

Meanwhile, everyone who can be loosely classified under the generously broad umbrella of 'Asian' lives in a rich, peaceful, and well established nation behind the safety of a giant wall. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's this girl who hates Hugo Weaving because he killed her mother

although it looks like he's her father(?!) which for some strange reason she doesn't realise until she's about to kill him

so that makes it all a bit awkward in a Star Wars-y kind of way.

Her mother gave her the MacGuffin that everyone spends most of the movie looking for, but the plot won't let her know what it is until the last 10 minutes of the movie, despite the fact that the one guy she's been running around with all this time had worked it out in the first half hour. :confused:

Unusually, Mortal Engines is more accurate than the book it's based on (a rare occurrence) which came as a pleasant surprise.

Is it worth watching? Absolutely. The aesthetic is gorgeous, the costumes are superb, the special effects are on point, Hugo Weaving chews scenery with tremendous gusto, and the world building is solid.

I rate Mortal Engines at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a respectable 7/10 on IMDB.

Disagree, it's a pile of garbage! It's far too many homages to star wars that it almost feels like it's trying to copy it in some sort of weird b movie way.

Back
Top Bottom